Why are magicians reluctant to use two decks?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
When I perform I use multiple decks of cards. In my stand up I use an invisible deck that remains in full view the whole time as well as 2 decks of cards in an effect that I do. In walk around I will load my self up with a couple decks of cards and most the time I'll do a couple tricks with multiple decks of cards. I have never had a problem with multiple decks of cards.

I think this is interesting because as I have been trying to spread the word about an effect that I'm putting out the most common problem that magicians have with it is that it uses 2 decks. They agree that it is strong, and that it is a beautiful effect but they are hung up at the fact that it uses two decks.

Why is this? Why do magicians get turned off by a trick that uses 2 decks?

I think magicians are generally reluctant to blatantly use a different deck than they already used in front of a spectator since it seems to arouse suspicsion, but I don't know what's wrong with using two decks for an effect. One of my favorite plots is 'Do As I Do', and I carry two decks because of it.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Pocket space, and you end up looking really silly if you tend to carry around a ton of props on you. As the old saying goes "10 pounds of crap in a 2 pound bag."

Jun 14, 2012
California
The post above is very true, as a street magician the last thing you want to do is look like a total freak fumbling around your pockets and it's just alot simpler to carry one deck around, i carry one deck, the scotch and soda gimmick, lose change and a chinese coin with me and for two pockets thats not very much.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
The post above is very true, as a street magician the last thing you want to do is look like a total freak fumbling around your pockets and it's just alot simpler to carry one deck around, i carry one deck, the scotch and soda gimmick, lose change and a chinese coin with me and for two pockets thats not very much.
No it's not true actually. There are other ways to perform magic, not just street magic. I always have multiple decks on me, most of the time two decks, a gimmicked deck (ie. invisible deck, marked deck, color changing deck, twilight angels deck etc...), and a regular deck. But at one point I had as many as 5 decks of cards on me at the same time. That was when I was experimenting with pocket space and new effects, and trust me, it doesn't look bulky at all, it looks the same as if I had only one deck on me, you just need to figure out how to do it.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Why is this? Why do magicians get turned off by a trick that uses 2 decks?

Because it isn't "organic", "able to be performed surrounded", "totally impromptu", "extremely visual"' "uses a borrowed, signed and dated deck" or whatever buzzwords are used to sell tricks. In short, because they are thinking like lazy magicians. Why buy an effect that requires some small amount of presentation skill (a very small amount) rather than being able to rely on the "trick" to substitute for your personality.

It is the effect that matters - how you get there is irrelevant. I'd use four decks if the effect is worth it.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS

Because it's so difficult to reach into your pocket and pull something out. Holy wow, does that take a lot of practice.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I use 2 decks when I'm working. One deck is normal and one is a gaff deck that is for a single trick. If people are struggling for pocket space they need to stop whoring the packet tricks.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
If I'm out just messing around or working on something new then I use one deck. For actual shows or performances I use an of average 3-4 decks on a given night. The show is focused on audience participation, the presentation or story and my experiences that I'm conveying. The decks are a mere backdrop and not a single time have I ever had anyone question the use of different decks anymore than someone would question a musician on changing guitars or an actor changing clothing in the middle of acts.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I do a few tricks with 2 decks or more. In walk around I do a Dani daortiz effect, as well as a Lennart Green effect along with my own trick or two. A few things to think about
1. When you do the Chicago opener where does the stranger card go after you do the effect?
2. Do as I do is a known classic
3. Multiple decks can be used to get more people involved
4. I watch many magicians pack around full tables in their walk around along with their cups and balls and linking rings and everything else. If you add another deck all it does is takes up pocket space.
5. If you have been using multiple decks of cards it is super easy to introduce gimmicked boxes, and cards

Nov 8, 2007
I think it has to do with pocket space more or less. I think most magicians, when working, are willing to carry more than one deck if they think the effect(s) they're able to do by carrying the extra deck is worth it.

I always have one deck on me wherever I go--whether it's a gig or just out on the town. If I do decide to carry another it's almost always going to be my memorized deck (which I always have on me for gigs) because it's I can get multiple quality effects out of it. Sometimes, to shake things up, I'll opt for an Invisible Deck, Radar Deck, or Strange Travelers Deck. But 95% of the time it's going to be my memorized deck if I'm carrying an extra.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
It still makes you look silly if you are carrying all those decks on you. 10 pounds of crap in a 2 pound bag.

If you were smart, you'd mainly only carry what you NEED.

May 9, 2012
New York
well, i think that the simpler things are, the more astounding the trick is. if you have a great trick that uses more than one deck, go for it. but im a close up magician so i try to keep just one on me.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
well, i think that the simpler things are, the more astounding the trick is. if you have a great trick that uses more than one deck, go for it. but im a close up magician so i try to keep just one on me.

I'm a close up magician as well and in my stand up and walk around I use multiple decks.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It still makes you look silly if you are carrying all those decks on you. 10 pounds of crap in a 2 pound bag.

If you were smart, you'd mainly only carry what you NEED.

I'm not sure what your point is. I know many working pros who carry a small table and a close up pad while doing walk around. For some reason these same guys say no to a trick with 2 decks? Why?

Most guys NEED 2 or more decks when they perform. Why is including a trick that uses 2 decks extraneous?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
And many of those "working pros." would be in the wrong for doing so. Carrying all that crap on you when you are doing a walk around gig is just over doing it and makes you look like a dork. If you are doing a parlor or stand up show, then it's fine. But a walk around show... No.. Just..No.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
It raises suspicion among the spectators...if you supposedly do magic..why would you need different decks?...the only thing I can advice it to have identical looking decks and switch them, when you feel to...of course under cover or just stop doing tricks with one deck..and then take out the second one pretending is the first one!!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The only time I would say that switching in a deck would actually work for you, rather than against you. Is if you perform some stuff with a borrowed deck, and then switch in a Memdeck. Though, the chances in reality of people always having a deck of cards on them (even when at home), is rather slim so it would just be smarter to bring your own Stacked deck with you.

The other problem with having too many decks in play is that you can end up falling into the trap of thinking that just because you were able to switch out the deck once or twice. That you'd be able to do it too many times without getting caught or looking suspicious.

I do know that Roberto Giobbi was SUPPOSED to be putting out a DVD with Dan & Dave Buck about different variations on the deck switch, but I haven't heard anything new about the project besides the fact that it was filmed awhile ago and it had something like 6-8 different routines that use deck switches and he only did that many to show that you CAN do a deck switch for some effects. But just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should.

I still say that having too many decks on you just for the sake of it, looks really silly even if your pockets don't look fat. The other trap you'll fall into is having to remember which pocket contained which deck, and that tends to take away from learning more important stuff.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The only time I would say that switching in a deck would actually work for you, rather than against you. Is if you perform some stuff with a borrowed deck, and then switch in a Memdeck. Though, the chances in reality of people always having a deck of cards on them (even when at home), is rather slim so it would just be smarter to bring your own Stacked deck with you.

The other problem with having too many decks in play is that you can end up falling into the trap of thinking that just because you were able to switch out the deck once or twice. That you'd be able to do it too many times without getting caught or looking suspicious.

I do know that Roberto Giobbi was SUPPOSED to be putting out a DVD with Dan & Dave Buck about different variations on the deck switch, but I haven't heard anything new about the project besides the fact that it was filmed awhile ago and it had something like 6-8 different routines that use deck switches and he only did that many to show that you CAN do a deck switch for some effects. But just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should.

I still say that having too many decks on you just for the sake of it, looks really silly even if your pockets don't look fat. The other trap you'll fall into is having to remember which pocket contained which deck, and that tends to take away from learning more important stuff.

First off, I'm pretty sure that Josh's effect openly uses two decks rather than requiring a deck switch. Second, the comments on this thread seem to be rejecting carrying like 6 decks - come on, it's only two decks, how much space does it take in your pockets if you are doing walk around?

As for deck switches, if you do it right, it is no more difficult than any other sleight. Roberto Giobbi has several methods in his Genii column from a year or two ago and some great justifications to openly or secretly switch decks betwen effects in his book, Secret Agenda.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results