Working as a Magician on a Cruise Ship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey T11,

I literally just landed couple of hours ago, I came home after working for 9 months on a cruise ship as a close up magician. So I decided to share my wisdom with you guys. I am going to do a video/audio podcast about life and work on a cruise ship, so you will know everything you need to know if you decide to become one. I can even help you get the job.
So it's gonna go like this: I'm gonna give you a week to ask as many questions as you possibly can (everything you can think of about life in general and about specific work of a magician on the ship). You can ask as many questions as you want, the more the better. And then after a week I'll do a podcast, answering those questions in as many details as I can (it's gonna be a loooong podcast). And then we're gonna have a second round, so I'll give you one more week after that to ask any additional questions because you'll probably have a lot more questions after the first podcast, plus I may forget to mention something, so I'll get a chance to do that in the second round.
Makes sense?
Also, after all the questions, write down do you want it to be a video or audio podcast (aka vote for it), and I'll go with one that has more votes. Pros of video podcast is that you can actually see me (so you can put a face to a voice), and I can explain some things more visually using my hands and/or other props. Plus, video is gonna be in FullHD so don't worry about those one pixel webcam videos, it's gonna be a good quality.
Pros of audio podcast is that it takes a lot less memory on your computer, so it's gonna be easier to upload/download, plus you can listen to it on your mp3 players as you're walking outside or doing whatever.

So, ask as many questions as you can possibly think of, and suggest either audio or video podcast, and let the games begin ;)

p.s. I would like to say hi to couple of people I've met in those 9 months. First of all, Katie Kenner, who is an amazing person, and we had a fun week together (specially the moment when I realized who she really was lol). Then Shoot Ogawa, great personality, great teacher, great pleasure of meeting and hanging out with him. And also to William Draven, who I almost met on several occasions lol but I'm coming back to Long Beach in September, so we'll have plenty of time to make it happen :)

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
This should be really interesting. It's something I've thought about doing.

My question is, is it possible to just do close-up magic? Pretty much all the ships I looked at required you to do a 1-2 hour stage show and wouldn't employ just a close-up magician.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
This should be really interesting. It's something I've thought about doing.

My question is, is it possible to just do close-up magic? Pretty much all the ships I looked at required you to do a 1-2 hour stage show and wouldn't employ just a close-up magician.

Very good question. Don't forget to suggest either audio or video podcast ;)

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Sorry, I should've mentioned that it is about the position of a CLOSE-UP/Restaurant Magician, not a stage magician (even though I know something about that too). So ask questions about the life on the ship, about being a close-up magician on the ship, what ever crosses your mind.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I don't want to speak for everyone Toby, but I really like the idea of a video because it makes it nice to put the face with a voice and allow you to use your hands / gestures. I know HD video eats up a lot of space and uploading to different locations rarely lets you go over 10 minutes.

Perhaps you can do it in 2 or 3 segments like you had mentioned.

Here are some questions I have:

1.) Describe your daily routine / schedule for each week or duration of a normal cruise.
2.) What all is included while you are aboard the cruise? Room? (living quarters - which I've heard can be a joke for entertainers)
Meals? Any excursions or is that all on your own finance?
3.) What did you DISLIKE the most about working as a close up magician on a cruise ship?
4.) How often were you approached by kids to "Do a trick" when you technically weren't on the clock? Ha Ha.
5.) Did you set up a close up table ever and people came to you or were you strictly a strolling magician carrying all props on you?
6.) How were you paid? All in a biweekly check? After every cruise? ?????

You don't have to answer all of these. I'm just trying to get everyone's mind flowing / brain storming.

Jun 4, 2012
How did you started learning magic?
What is your favorite trick?
What trick or routine people enjoy the most in your show?
Didnt you ran out of tricks lol ?

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I don't want to speak for everyone Toby, but I really like the idea of a video because it makes it nice to put the face with a voice and allow you to use your hands / gestures. I know HD video eats up a lot of space and uploading to different locations rarely lets you go over 10 minutes.

Perhaps you can do it in 2 or 3 segments like you had mentioned.

Here are some questions I have:

1.) Describe your daily routine / schedule for each week or duration of a normal cruise.
2.) What all is included while you are aboard the cruise? Room? (living quarters - which I've heard can be a joke for entertainers)
Meals? Any excursions or is that all on your own finance?
3.) What did you DISLIKE the most about working as a close up magician on a cruise ship?
4.) How often were you approached by kids to "Do a trick" when you technically weren't on the clock? Ha Ha.
5.) Did you set up a close up table ever and people came to you or were you strictly a strolling magician carrying all props on you?
6.) How were you paid? All in a biweekly check? After every cruise? ?????

You don't have to answer all of these. I'm just trying to get everyone's mind flowing / brain storming.
Excellent post, exactly what I had in mind. Keep 'em coming!

Firstly,

Sounds awesome man!

Would be interested to know about the lifestyle you had on the ship while not working (Could you have a good time aswell?),

Aswell as the audience (Elderly? Young?)

Hours/Times you worked? How many days a week?

Pay? What was it like?

Think a Video would be the way to go! Could be really educational, could even charge $1 and chuck it up on the Wire.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Think a Video would be the way to go! Could be really educational, could even charge $1 and chuck it up on the Wire.
Yeah, I was thinking about it, but then not as many people would see it, and my goal is to inform/educate as many people as I can, and potentially help them get a job on the ship.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm actually really excited about what you are doing here Toby. Don't rush just to get done though. Make it nice. Thanks man!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I find it hard to believe that only 5 people out of ALL of our members care to pick Toby's brain on his performing aboard a cruise ship experience. This is first hand knowledge that many of you are passing up. Unreal. I guess everyone is waiting for the next thread asking about a "favorite deck" again. Ugh... Come on fellas.

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
I want to second how you didnt run out of tricks but also,

1. what would you suggest to a person who wants to get started in doing cruise ships, and
2. What is the single most important thing you have learnt after performing for so long on a cruise ship>

Nov 8, 2007
Looking forward to it, Emir. :)

The question I'd like to throw in is how often did it feel like a job and how often did it feel like you were getting paid to just play on a cruise ship?

Also, how much did your set change from the first night you performed on the ship to the last? What were the factors that caused those changes (if any)?

Jan 9, 2012
1) Did you encounter any spectators that were a nuisance?
2) Did you ever get caught when performing certain sleights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results