Your Personal Gem

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Everyone or a lot of people at least have their own personal gem trick that they found in obscurity or at least is not overly known and used. I want to find out what everyone else's are, and before you comment on the search section i did use it the last thread on this was a long time ago and i didn't wanna thread bump. The reason i bring it up is i recently found a amazing trick in some pdf scans i have of the magic man examiner's. Its an amazing trick by Kenner simply titled "JBO" and since finding it i haven't stopped fiddling with it, its quickly working its way into my routine. so lets hear it what gem's have you discovered, and i swear if anyone says biddle trick or 2 card monte i will find you and make you watch a mathew mcconaughey movie TWICE

May 31, 2008
A torn and restored called, "Counterfeit Hollingworth." Wayne Houchin taught it at his lecture.

Unfortunately it will be released sometime in the future.

Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
I absolutely love "Now You See", for all of you that have read/seen The Royal Road to Card Magic. I actually JUST did it at an orientation for a high school I'm going to next year. I had a crowd of around 10-15 people around me (because we had this relay thing that was starting in 30 min so I had time) and I had them all remember the card, the deck was shuffled by a spectator, 4 cards were picked by me, I show them the cards, none of them were it. One card out of the 4 were picked, turned over, and they see their card just appeared after seeing all 4 cards not be theirs. The reaction I got from there Juniors and Seniors was something you'd see on a video of David Blaine levitating. They all stepped back, covered their mouths, and were like "Holy s***!" Great trick, definitely my favorite

Jan 18, 2009
Definitely a tie between two effects, 4.4.1 with the Nestorizer is the best transpo I know of that is pratical. The second one is my variation of blueprint with the Electric Touch, bit more powerful but the circumstances are a little more difficult to get a good presentation in.

I have a quick question, I have been in magic for a bit and was wondering where people are finding out about some of their own personal gems. Any websites or such would be great, Thanks.

Jul 2, 2008
My little gem is something that includes the Flipwich move (taught on a David Acer dvd of mine)-- its a quick little routine that can be impromptu, and the flipwich itself is incredible in its own mind. If you wanna check it out its on my channel, www.youtube.com/ReubenGazer (i know you guys hate youtube videos, but I just was giving the option if you wanted to see the flipwich since there are no videos on youtube of it!) The routine in the video isn't the one I use, but that's the move. It's incredible and fun to do, and very, very visual.

Oh, and the Biddle Trick :)

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
I actually have two gems, which are equally awesome:

- The Biddle Trick
- And 2-card monte

They aren't well known tricks, and aren't performed often due to the uncharacteristically high volume of knuckle-busting sleights involved in the tricks. That's what makes them my gems.

===

On a serious note: I will list only the abbreviations for my tricks, and a short description on most. Doing that so that none my names are stolen :p. I will also be sure to only list card tricks, as that is all I'm sure this thread was created for.

WTF: No description for this one. This is an absolute secret for magicians. Aptly named because that has been the first few words out of almost every crowd I've performed for, and those who choose not to say words like that have a look on their faces :). But I do need a new name for it.

TGP: A impromptu transposition in which the spectator sees both the cards before they are placed in/on separate locations. Very openly done, both cards are away from the performer and turned over by the spectator.

F: Card selected, lost, and after some magical mojo, the three companion cards are revealed. Combines some nifty transposition effects with a nice ending phase.

P: Card selected, placed into deck, shuffled by spectator, spread on ground, knife introduced, moved around over the randomly spread cards, spectator calls stop and performer stops moving the knife, stabs card below. shown to be selected card.

R: A 'variation' on a TNR. More of a complete modification, but it was inspired by a certain TNR.

C: A couples' trick.

I have quite a few more, but I'm bored of typing and see no real point in this anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It very much comes down to what situation I am in to decide on what 'gem' I will use. If someone hands me a deck of cards and asks to see something I will usually use something like Just a Thought from Mark Spelmann. However if I have been working with someone for a while I will use one of three of my own creations depending on the audience size and such.

Mental Lapse: A card is placed in my pocket, another card is selected and the spectator is caused to forget the card (legitimately). The card that they think they have is the one in my pocket.

Loss of Reality: A card is selected and shown to another participant. The deck is cut and four random cards are displayed both spectators confirm the card is not there. However when asked to name the card they saw they have a conflict of interest and the two cards are revealed to be in the four card packet.

Reality: Similar to the previous effect however a third spectator holds on to the card and after much conflict the spectators realize that both cards are wrong.

However my favourite thing to do now is a three phase watch routine using a simple one ahead with the classic watch force. With layers and layers of subtleties added for good measure. Also the amazing Diode of Kronos is a truly amazing gem, basically it is a Do as I Do with watches.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
It very much comes down to what situation I am in to decide on what 'gem' I will use. If someone hands me a deck of cards and asks to see something I will usually use something like Just a Thought from Mark Spelmann. However if I have been working with someone for a while I will use one of three of my own creations depending on the audience size and such.

Mental Lapse: A card is placed in my pocket, another card is selected and the spectator is caused to forget the card (legitimately). The card that they think they have is the one in my pocket.

Loss of Reality: A card is selected and shown to another participant. The deck is cut and four random cards are displayed both spectators confirm the card is not there. However when asked to name the card they saw they have a conflict of interest and the two cards are revealed to be in the four card packet.

Reality: Similar to the previous effect however a third spectator holds on to the card and after much conflict the spectators realize that both cards are wrong.

However my favourite thing to do now is a three phase watch routine using a simple one ahead with the classic watch force. With layers and layers of subtleties added for good measure. Also the amazing Diode of Kronos is a truly amazing gem, basically it is a Do as I Do with watches.

Wow man, im loving the sound of those effects. Theres a book by Paul Brooks called the Alchemist Tools or something like that, maybe it can help you? You can find it on his website.

I personal Gem is Momento, OneEighty and a simple double lift effect taylored towards people interested in predictions.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I honestly don't want to tell you my gem. It's so good, so strong, so theatrically engaging, so practical, so entertaining, and so original that I have literally NOT raved about it to protect it. Nobody else does it, as a result.

ReubenGazer knows what it is... so does Robert "The Mystifyer"... that's it. If EITHER of you even speak the title, you're both dead. That is all.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I honestly don't want to tell you my gem. It's so good, so strong, so theatrically engaging, so practical, so entertaining, and so original that I have literally NOT raved about it to protect it. Nobody else does it, as a result.

ReubenGazer knows what it is... so does Robert "The Mystifyer"... that's it. If EITHER of you even speak the title, you're both dead. That is all.

I've heard that it's a 2 phase routine using the underground miracle NIPslip to open and finishing on the coverted TittyTwister! ;)

D.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results