Why David Blaine on TV? Why note the Artists?

voe

Feb 2, 2009
It's Image..

What?!?!

Blaine actively sought and marketed his first TV gig. He had an original idea (original to the execs) and good connections and a lot of drive.

Danny has done a lot of work for him and I'm sure others here have too. It doesn't make them better or worse, it's just different roles.

That being said, I would pay some good cash for a DVD of Daniel Garcia just performing.

Well, some of the T11 Artists have been on TV.

Dan Sperry is a featured performer on Masters Of Illusion
Wayne Houchin has performed on television several times in California
Daniel Garcia and Dan White are producers for Blaine, meaning they have a job in television, its just behind the camera.
Chris Kenner is a producer for David Copperfield, much the same way as DG and DW are to Blaine.

Also, you must realize that Blaine practically set the bar for magic on TV. He created a style and a presentation that no one had seen, that alone is one reason he is on television like he is.

Actually, there is an article in this months MAGIC magazine by Jeff McBride, The Show Doctor, solely about getting on television with magic. A good read for sure.

C

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
-If I'm not mistaken Tom Issacson did his effect Prophet on the Ellen Show.

Yeah, I'd really love a DVD of the artists performing. In my opinion, we'd learn a lot more from that than we would from any other DVD. On a usual DVD, we learn a secret. On a performance DVD, we'd learn more and more from each performance. As John Carney once said, in an effect, there's not one secret, there's fifty.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I dunno probally, but I mean hes not well known for his effects. His well known because hes a good entertainer (who is on TV).

JDEN

Yeah, he's not known for the publishing of his effects, but he's still very much an artist.

Either way, in answer to the original question, It's all about direction. Blaine worked hard with a focus to get on TV and bring his magic to the people that way, where as the artists here have of course focused on performance, but also put a huge amount of effort into the release of their work to the industry :)

D.

Yeah, he's not known for the publishing of his effects, but he's still very much an artist.

Either way, in answer to the original question, It's all about direction. Blaine worked hard with a focus to get on TV and bring his magic to the people that way, where as the artists here have of course focused on performance, but also put a huge amount of effort into the release of their work to the industry :)

D.
Im not saying hes not an artist, but isent the point of artist on this site to make effects to spoon feed to n00bz?

JDEN

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
but isent the point of artist on this site to make effects to spoon feed to n00bz?

JDEN

No. lol

Just because there are a lot of younger magicians on this site doesn't make what the artist's do worthless, which is what's implied by the tone.

Theory 11 is a big thing - I was discussing this earlier with a guy in fact.

The social aspect of the site is phenomenal, when I was like 12-15 or whatever I had NO ONE to speak to about magic really - I just had to make my own journey on my own. It was the same with a lot of people before places like this came about, there's the cafe, which I frequent, but it can be quite intimidating for a younger magician, I used find it that way.

This place is a GREAT place to be. The staff are incredible in both talent, creativity and all the effort they put in to treat everyone as a person, rather than a number. I'm sure that they shift high volumes of stuff here, but you can still have conversations with the guys and know that they'll help you to the extent of their power.

As for the disrespect toward the artist's work, I know a few of the guys on the team and this is stuff that they use in their working repertoires, this is the stuff that gets them gig after gig, That's the point of it isn't it?

For someone to teach you new techniques, handlings and ideas to go out and amaze people, if you're a working magician it's to pay the bills!

I sound like a true fan boy of this place, but believe me, there's much worse things to be.

[Intel end] ;)

D.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Just because there are a lot of younger magicians on this site doesn't make what the artist's do worthless,
Well put Dee. I agree. I know there are a lot of older gents (older than a teen) that often stop by here. They pick up the 1on1's if it fits their style and often check out the major releases too.

A lot of times they dont have the time to be active on the forums or that part just doesnt interest them but that doesnt mean they dont have repect for the place. The only reason I'm able to be on here as much as I am in the a.m. is because I'm sitting around waiting airplanes to arrive or be fixed.

Sep 1, 2007
Blaine is actually a pretty technically proficient magician. Actually, he's really a technically proficient magician.

Sep 1, 2007
Why not some other magicians likewise?

Because not everybody wants to be on TV? Just putting that out there.

A lot of times they dont have the time to be active on the forums or that part just doesnt interest them but that doesnt mean they dont have repect for the place.

Actually, there are quite a few who dislike this place because they don't enjoy listening to snotty arrogant teenagers tell working pros how to do their jobs. No, I'm not referring to anyone here in particular. Just saying that it's happened.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Actually, there are quite a few who dislike this place because they don't enjoy listening to snotty arrogant teenagers tell working pros how to do their jobs. No, I'm not referring to anyone here in particular. Just saying that it's happened.
Yeah. I hear that quite often also. I was trying to stay more on the positive side of the house on this one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results