Creativity By Accident

Have you guys ever made a magic trick or flourish by accident. Like you were practicing a magic trick and then stumbled on a new original trick? Or down a flourish and misplaced one of your fingers and then somehow it looks better? Like, I' ve stumbled across many flourishes that I accidently mess up but then it creates a new display that looks bigger and better.

Oct 18, 2008
www.youtube.com
actually yes...

actually very recently I was playing around with a deck of cards, and I was practicing some color changes, and I created a highly visual sandwich effect and a really cool rising card. I was really proud of myself, but at the same time upset that I can't make anything better when I am actually trying to create :confused:

Mar 14, 2008
I'm sure many people have. We learn through our mistakes. Now that I look back, I wish I'd recorded some of my ideas. You can always come back and build upon them, creating something greater than you thought possible.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Yeah this happens all the time. I think it probably happens with most of us. It's part of the creative process for me. If you keep working with a variation of something, you can turn it into something original as opposed to a tiny change in an already existing effect or flourish.

May 18, 2008
Yeah! I have been on a freakin' creative spree lately, almost all by accident.

Came up with a great stand up variation of the Chicago Opener that can play for A TON of people.

Came up with a trick called JAWS, where a selection VISUALLY appears in the middle of the deck; impromptu and for stage.

A close up impromptu floating card.

6 BRAND NEW color changes (all by accident).

A really flourishy method and patter for a trick with a memorized stack.

And a TON more...

ALL of the above were by accident...

If I ever get famous, I can't wait to tell everyone that I got famous through my mistakes!

Yeah! I have been on a freakin' creative spree lately, almost all by accident.

Came up with a great stand up variation of the Chicago Opener that can play for A TON of people.

Came up with a trick called JAWS, where a selection VISUALLY appears in the middle of the deck; impromptu and for stage.

A close up impromptu floating card.

6 BRAND NEW color changes (all by accident).

A really flourishy method and patter for a trick with a memorized stack.

And a TON more...

If I ever get famous, I can't wait to tell everyone that I got famous through my mistakes!

Whoa, that's alot of accidents... which is a good thing.:D
ALL of the above were by accident...

Use the TUMBLEWEED METHOD!

1. Think HARD about a really basic trick, like really basic. I'm talking 'This and That' basic, just before you go to sleep.

2. Your brain's gonna process that trick like crazy while you're asleep, and create new ideas and applications for it.

3. You'll wake up at 2am with a really fresh idea in your head.

4. Write it down, then go back to sleep :)

Use the TUMBLEWEED METHOD!

1. Think HARD about a really basic trick, like really basic. I'm talking 'This and That' basic, just before you go to sleep.

2. Your brain's gonna process that trick like crazy while you're asleep, and create new ideas and applications for it.

3. You'll wake up at 2am with a really fresh idea in your head.

4. Write it down, then go back to sleep :)

WHEA!;) I thought that you were going to say to put this thread in the cardistry section!

May 18, 2008
You are REALLY good at flourishing for your age, MagicLemonBird! I am actually going to my local meeting after jamming with a good friend of mine who is a proffesional magician (and does reviews in Genii bi-monthly) and I am going to show him about 21 new ideas I have created by accident after reading this thread!

I am not kidding. Thank you for posting it. I don't know what it is about it, but I have been on even MORE of a rampage now! You have NO idea! Thanks again!

But I have a few pictures of my new flourishes and displays I will post as soon as I find out how to add them to the album...

May 9, 2009
The other day, I was showing my friend random displays, like the Werm and the Leno cut. He asked for the cards and tried his best and came out with a random 5 packet display.

Later, I tried an interesting finger position he used, and came up with an awesome variation of the Sybil cut! Truly weird coincidence.

card-iologist

May 18, 2008
Provided that isn't sarcasm, thanks!

Either way, it isn't the PopChrisFunkyThing, although that is a great idea! I actually call it the PopChrisFlyTower, because it is based on the Tudor Tower and Daniel Madison's Fly.

It will be in my next flourishing video when I bring back the PCP. I will be able to bring back the PopChris Project after finals are over!

Lets get back on topic of Creativity by Accident.

Card-Iologist, that is really cool! When I started flourishing, I tried my first display after seeing Daniel Madison do one... And I could only get 3 packets... I thought it would be easy. Boy was I wrong!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results