A Somewhat Good and Somewhat bad Story

The other day I performed at a birthday party for a forth grader and eleven of her friends. I was really excited and got all my props together and the employer ( My Hockey Coach) picked me up and brought me to his house where the party was being held. He decided to pay me in advance and gave me 100$ for a forty-five minute show. I thought that was a bit much, considering I had told him my flat rate was fifty dollars. I tried to get him to take some of the money back and he wouldn't. So on to the show.

TOTAL DISASTER!!!

My show is suited for the younger generations such as six to eight years old and I was not prepared for these nine, ten, and eleven year olds. Instantly I knew I was in over my head, once I started, but I went on with the show. About fifty percent of my tricks ere figured out. (Only one was my fault). They had seen how to do the silk into fist dissapearance in some movie called "Night at the Museaum". Then my color changing hanky ripped and was unusable. The one I sort of flubbed on, the one thatw as actually MY fault, was a rope trick. I cut the wrong rope. Guess I was just frustrated and wasn't paying attention.

However, many tricks did go over well like My Sponge ball Routine, My Linking Ring Routine, A vanishing Milk Trick, The Magic Coloring Book, and a couple other things.

Well, my dad saw the last have hour of the show and at the end I was dissapointed so I tried to give the money back to my employer because i didn't feel i deserved the cash at all anymore. But he insisted on having me keep it.

On the car ride home my dad gave me the most inspirational talk ever. It went like this.

"You know Dylan, I am proud you did that. Adolescent girls are probablt the toughest kids to put on a show for, but yoy tried it."

ME: "Yeah, but I sucked."

DAD: "Look, some of your tricks fell apart on you. That's bound to happen every now and then. You just will have to tweak your show a bit and keep at it until you get it right."

ME: "Well, I feel bad because he gave me that money and wouldn't take it back. I basically STOLE it! I feel like I shouldn't have the money at all!"

DAD: "Well, you tried to give it back and he refused. It's not your fault. Just keep the money and don't feel bad. It was his choice to let you keep it."

Me: "Whatever. The whole show still sucked."

DAD: "No. Not really. The tricks they caught were meant for younger ages and you knew that. It was unavoidable. And some of the tricks just fell apart, that wasn't your fault. Besides, from what I saw, you did good. Look, only ten percent of a show is the mechanics behind the tricks. The other ninety percent is all showmanship. And from what I saw, you had excellent showmanship. And that's why the kids were still enetertained even after a couple of tricks failed, because you were a good showman."

ME: "I don't want to do any kids shows anymore."

DAD: "Dylan, if this is what you want to do when you get older. I mean, you want to be a magician in Vegas or something, then you have t get your name out there. And this is the best way to do it. Don't give up, I am sure every magician has had a couple of bad shows. You just have to be honest with your employers. Say "I have to be honest my shows are designed for younger kids, the older kids might catch something." Be honest and people wil like you.

ME: "Yeah."

DAD: "Stick with it. I all honesty, your mom and I are happy you have gotten into this and are getting yourself out there. If you keep itup we would have no problem with letting you move away after collge to pursue this job in some city or something. We'd be proud if you did that."

Me: "Thanks..."

So hopefully you might have learned something from that. If yoyu have a bad show: Oh Well. It is bound to happen to us all so suck it up and tweak the show a bit. Just make sure to be honest and fair with all of your employers.

Dylan P.

Sep 20, 2008
You may feel like you didnt do your job well as a magician, but your dad surely is doing an amazing job at being a role model.

As he said, keep it going. It does rain **** every now and then. Just gotta deal with it.

Respect.

Jan 11, 2009
The other day I performed at a birthday party for a forth grader and eleven of her friends. I was really excited and got all my props together and the employer ( My Hockey Coach) picked me up and brought me to his house where the party was being held. He decided to pay me in advance and gave me 100$ for a forty-five minute show. I thought that was a bit much, considering I had told him my flat rate was fifty dollars. I tried to get him to take some of the money back and he wouldn't. So on to the show.

TOTAL DISASTER!!!

My show is suited for the younger generations such as six to eight years old and I was not prepared for these nine, ten, and eleven year olds. Instantly I knew I was in over my head, once I started, but I went on with the show. About fifty percent of my tricks ere figured out. (Only one was my fault). They had seen how to do the silk into fist dissapearance in some movie called "Night at the Museaum". Then my color changing hanky ripped and was unusable. The one I sort of flubbed on, the one thatw as actually MY fault, was a rope trick. I cut the wrong rope. Guess I was just frustrated and wasn't paying attention.

However, many tricks did go over well like My Sponge ball Routine, My Linking Ring Routine, A vanishing Milk Trick, The Magic Coloring Book, and a couple other things.

Well, my dad saw the last have hour of the show and at the end I was dissapointed so I tried to give the money back to my employer because i didn't feel i deserved the cash at all anymore. But he insisted on having me keep it.

On the car ride home my dad gave me the most inspirational talk ever. It went like this.

"You know Dylan, I am proud you did that. Adolescent girls are probablt the toughest kids to put on a show for, but yoy tried it."

ME: "Yeah, but I sucked."

DAD: "Look, some of your tricks fell apart on you. That's bound to happen every now and then. You just will have to tweak your show a bit and keep at it until you get it right."

ME: "Well, I feel bad because he gave me that money and wouldn't take it back. I basically STOLE it! I feel like I shouldn't have the money at all!"

DAD: "Well, you tried to give it back and he refused. It's not your fault. Just keep the money and don't feel bad. It was his choice to let you keep it."

Me: "Whatever. The whole show still sucked."

DAD: "No. Not really. The tricks they caught were meant for younger ages and you knew that. It was unavoidable. And some of the tricks just fell apart, that wasn't your fault. Besides, from what I saw, you did good. Look, only ten percent of a show is the mechanics behind the tricks. The other ninety percent is all showmanship. And from what I saw, you had excellent showmanship. And that's why the kids were still enetertained even after a couple of tricks failed, because you were a good showman."

ME: "I don't want to do any kids shows anymore."

DAD: "Dylan, if this is what you want to do when you get older. I mean, you want to be a magician in Vegas or something, then you have t get your name out there. And this is the best way to do it. Don't give up, I am sure every magician has had a couple of bad shows. You just have to be honest with your employers. Say "I have to be honest my shows are designed for younger kids, the older kids might catch something." Be honest and people wil like you.

ME: "Yeah."

DAD: "Stick with it. I all honesty, your mom and I are happy you have gotten into this and are getting yourself out there. If you keep itup we would have no problem with letting you move away after collge to pursue this job in some city or something. We'd be proud if you did that."

Me: "Thanks..."

So hopefully you might have learned something from that. If yoyu have a bad show: Oh Well. It is bound to happen to us all so suck it up and tweak the show a bit. Just make sure to be honest and fair with all of your employers.

Dylan P.

don't feel bad, these kinds of things take balls. magicians are always rooted against too. nothing is more satisfying than seeing a magician fail to laymen.

I've never done a stage show before, just practice bro!!!

good story btw.

warmly,
LK++

Jun 11, 2008
wow. great story!
This sort of stuff happens to tons of magicians everywhere. It's happened to me (also really bad) and I'm sure it has happened to other famous magicians. Look at david copperfield for example, when his giant fan illusion failed; they had to stop the whole show, and refund his audience. Just imagine how he must have felt. You did a good thing, you kept on going, and I'm sure that the kids loved it.
Good Job.

"A flower needs both water, and sunlight to grow"
Sterling Dietz: The world teen Champion of Magic
This is what he told me after I felt that I did an awful job on a performance.
We all learn from our mistakes. My video also talks about this a little:
check it out;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRi1LP5Ddps&feature=channel_page

Jan 28, 2009
wow. great story!
This sort of stuff happens to tons of magicians everywhere. It's happened to me (also really bad) and I'm sure it has happened to other famous magicians. Look at david copperfield for example, when his giant fan illusion failed; they had to stop the whole show, and refund his audience. Just imagine how he must have felt. You did a good thing, you kept on going, and I'm sure that the kids loved it.
Good Job.

"A flower needs both water, and sunlight to grow"
Sterling Dietz: The world teen Champion of Magic
This is what he told me after I felt that I did an awful job on a performance.
We all learn from our mistakes. My video also talks about this a little:
check it out;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRi1LP5Ddps&feature=channel_page

Look imo, until you've set fire to a set of white centurions using flash paper and some over zealous application of a lighter due to being distracted by a heckler during a live paid gig and set the fire alarms off you haven't screwed up a show.

Don't worry about it. 11 year old girls are a tough crowd. Everyone makes mistakes, I watched David Copperfield at the MGM Grand bungle a card trick to the point one of his dressed in black helpers had to walk on stage (flashed by the misplaced spotlight) and hand him a card. The laypeople in the audience however were so dazzled by his BS no one even noticed, or cared, or cared even if they did notice, me included.

EDIT: Oh and props for trying to give the money back. Quite obviously it didn't go as badly as you thought it did otherwise he'd have taken the money back, all your self doubt shows is that you're a perfectionist, which means one thing. You'll be amazing one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
I think that what your dad gave was really good advice. I remember when I hadn't performed to many people before, on the first day of school the teacher was doing magic tricks to try and work the tricks in with the lesson. He did the trick where a spectator separates the cards red and black and a type of triumph trick. Then my friend mentioned I did magic and the teacher asked me if I wanted to perform. I didn't really have a choice so I took the deck and performed a few tricks. I was so nervous that my hands were actually shaking but after you see their reactions, it gets a lot easier to relax. The same thing happened just last week where I performed pressure to my teacher. He was so amazed he took me into the next room to show their teacher. I actually had my whole class and the whole other class watching and I didn't hear a single "Oh. I know how to do that."

Basically,
Once you get used to it you can just relax a lot more and put on a great show.

-Charlie

Jul 14, 2008
This is a great story. Every magicians (including me) went through some horrible experiences in our lives, but feel free to disagree with me, your father is right. Even though that we performed not the way we expect, but we can improve ourselves. This unexpected incident will help you in the long run if you encounter like this again, in other words, to be a quick thinker of knowing what to do when disaster strikes us.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
I give u a golden star

This is what it takes to pursue ur dream...so u messed up a little...move on...dont let it deter ur confidence...its happened to everyone, for instance, i did a small little gig for my friends houswarming party.....and lets just say flash paper+heckler+dog= a trip to the hospital and 200 bucks in damage....so yah...tough times but we all get over sooner or later *pats ya on the back*

D

Deleted member 2755

Hey Dylan. That's some story you got there. Despite its ending, I'm not going to let you go 100% free. ;) There is really no excuse for you messing up because you weren't "paying attention". PAY ATTENTION! You should had also specifically asked what age the kids were going to be and adjusted your show accordingly.

Anyway, everyone fails. Its part of the path to success. Its interesting this was posted up today because Houchin's Daily Update I think may make you think about some things. :) www.waynehouchin.com Check it out.

Anyway... Things will improve over time. Bad experiences are probably actually some of the best experiences you can have while starting. Those are the experiences that will help prepare you for when things really matter.

Well this was a nice story for you to post. I enjoyed it. Hope you learned something.

-Doug

Mar 11, 2009
That's an amazing story. I agree with magictruitt, no matter how badly a trick messes up, you can make up for it in showmanship. By what your dad said, you did great in the performance, and as long as they are entertained, you did your job. As long as you believe that you're doing good, you'll do good, but when you think they hate you, your act will fall apart. As penguincdude mentioned, you get relaxed over time, but until then, you just have to keep at it. Your dad sounds very inspirational, and you're very lucky to have him helping you. I wish I had a dad like that.

Hey Dylan. That's some story you got there. Despite its ending, I'm not going to let you go 100% free. ;)

There is really no excuse for you messing up because you weren't "paying attention". PAY ATTENTION!

You should had also specifically asked what age the kids were going to be and adjusted your show accordingly.

Its interesting this was posted up today because Houchin's Daily Update I think may make you think about some things. :) www.waynehouchin.com Check it out.

Anyway... Things will improve over time. Bad experiences are probably actually some of the best experiences you can have while starting. Those are the experiences that will help prepare you for when things really matter.

-Doug

1: Awsome: Constructive criticism is good.

2: It wasn't really like I wasn't paying attention. It was more like: "Oh man, I can't wait to get outta here. Uh Oh...Which loop do I cut? 50/50 chance." But yeah, my mistake, I see what your saying.

3: Well, I did ask but he really wasn't sure what the majorities age was so he told me to do my normal gig.

4: I'll check Houchins thing out.

5: Ain't it the truth, man? This one bad expirience has helped me SO much and finally allowed me to find out how my parents feel about me wanting to pursue it as a career, without directly asking them.

Thanks Doug,
Dylan P.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Dylan, nice work stepping up and being responsible enough to offer the money back. That takes guts, and a degree of professionalism not a lot of young people have. Your dad was right about being honest. Also be confident in what you do.

Thanks for sharing!

Justin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results