Crucifixion Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2009
here is a deck of cards that I am designing and I am not done with it yet but this is the mock up. I just wanted to see what you guys have to say 'bout it

NOTE: it is a christian themed deck so this is a warning to all :)

Attachments

• crucifixion deck.jpg
    crucifixion deck.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 248
Sep 1, 2007
your not gonna get a good response for a deck glamorizing the most brutal ordeal anyone could think of

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
your not gonna get a good response for a deck glamorizing the most brutal ordeal anyone could think of

Creeper, you really need to shut up. That is rude. Just like what you said on chris weihl's video, it was rude too. I like the design of the deck, but I don't see myself using it. Seems like it has potential, keep up with the design; it looks a little cartoon-y to me, try and add more realism to it, and I like the text!

Cheers,

Casey Rudd

I'm a Christian, and honestly I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. It's a very fine line, depending on what the end result is, and what you end up doing with them exactly. I'm not usually in favor of things that try to "make Jesus look cool" or turn the gospel into a novelty item or a fashion statement. I'd have to think on this one honestly; I'm just not sure at a first glance. Cool looking design, I'll give you that either way.

Nov 11, 2009
I'm a Christian, and honestly I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. It's a very fine line, depending on what the end result is, and what you end up doing with them exactly. I'm not usually in favor of things that try to "make Jesus look cool" or turn the gospel into a novelty item or a fashion statement. I'd have to think on this one honestly; I'm just not sure at a first glance. Cool looking design, I'll give you that either way.

well I am trying to bring the gosple to places it rarely goes like card magic but I understand what you are saying.

as for the cartoony look I am using pictures from google and I am going to use my own images in the final draft :)

Jan 13, 2008
Creeper, you really need to shut up. That is rude. Just like what you said on chris weihl's video, it was rude too. I like the design of the deck, but I don't see myself using it. Seems like it has potential, keep up with the design; it looks a little cartoon-y to me, try and add more realism to it, and I like the text!

Cheers,

Casey Rudd
What is wrong with you? Creeper is pointing out that the crucifixion of Christ was a brutal moment in the Christian history. Having a man pinned to a cross with stakes through his hands and feet, a crown of thorns, being whipped/beaten severely, and left to rot there is quite the brutal ordeal. Having it happen to the purported son of God (or part of God, however you interpret it) just makes it all the more brutal.

Why one would want to glamorize that by putting it on the back of cards is, I believe, what Creeper was getting at.

Either way, it doesn't bother me any (not being Christian). Just saying, it could offend some, as Creeper pointed out (and as RobAnderson's post suggests). Not sure why you'd consider his post rude; seems kind of hypocritical of you. o_O

Edit: As for the actual look of the deck, I'm not sure I like it. I mean, I like the idea of the text in the background (I'd definitely make it lighter, though, as it stands out far too much). I just don't like the cartoony cross, plus the stuff around it. I'd be curious to see what the final draft looks like, though, since you won't be using those particular images. :)

The design is somewhat weak.. I didn't say it was bad.. but could use some help. I also don't think going the whole "christian" route is a good marketing tool in terms of playing cards..

My opinion is coming from being a professional graphic artist and marketing consultant for over a decade in case you were wondering..

I say keep chiseling away at it... it has real potential to be great.

Mar 12, 2010
Tucson
The gambling factor

This is something my dad pointed out to me, and I know it's true because I've experience it first hand. The first thing people say to me when they see me with a deck of cards, they don't say "Oh, are you a magician?" No they ask me if i gamble. The first impression of a pack of playing cards is and very well may always be that they are scandalous tools used to cheat poor people out of money. While I love the design and wish that I could do graphic design like that, I think presenting Christ with a pack of playing cards can really be a double edged sword, either it will lead others to christ, or it will confuse and upset other Christians. Just something to think about.

Keenan O.
:D
"Anyone can do a card trick, but not everyone can be a magician."

Creeper, you really need to shut up.

I don't like Creeper anymore than you do, but he has a point.

The subject of religion is a touchy one and any deck named "crucifixion" and depicts images of a cross on the back of it is only asking to get rebukes from the community at large.

Now I am not Christian, but even I would be cautious about the images this deck calls out with it's name and images combined.

I like the design work, just change the name to disconnect it from the religious connotations and you should be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2008
I say I'm 100% supporting your cause Deceptio. Although the design could use some work.

I understand your POV in that you want to bring your religion into your magic. I love that idea. That shows Character, and you're trying to display a part of you along with your magic. That's what I try to do as well.

As keenasaur mentioned though, it could be a double-edged sword. I suggest you be more subtle with the cross and the scriptures, yet make it obvious enough to notice. Order in the midst of chaos? But I like simplistic designs as well, so I think it'll be quite a task for you to modify your idea.

Also, changing the name would be advisable, as Draven pointed out. Crucifixion is not a beautiful thing; what Jesus DID was beautiful. As Creeper said, don't try to glamorize this execution method.

Don't give up.

Nov 11, 2009
thanx for all the input guys although I dont agree with all of your opinons you are all entitled to them :)

Alfie I dont nessecarily know what your talking about because my design does have white borders???

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i personally have no problem with the cross the way it is. to me the cross is a beautiful thing, reminding myself of how Jesus died, reminds me that he took it willingly and joyfully. and that causes me to smile and rejoice.

but i would worry about offending people who dont see it the way I do.

why not use different symbols of the Christian faith? Doves, Salamanders, Angels,

maybe look for a symbol of your favorite Bible story, like David and Goliath,a sling. While the Cross is the biggest symbol of our faith, and its the most recognized and the most beautiful, its not the only, and it means different things to different people, so you could very well upset somebody.

whatever you come up with, I'll buy a few. I'm an aspiring Gospel magician myself.

i personally have no problem with the cross the way it is. to me the cross is a beautiful thing, reminding myself of how Jesus died, reminds me that he took it willingly and joyfully. and that causes me to smile and rejoice.

I know this is gonna open a can of worms, but I have to say this. Willingly, yes, but joyfully, I think you should reconsider. He sweat drops of blood as he was praying to have this burden pass from him right before it happened. As he was on the cross, he cried out in despair "My God, why have you forsaken me?". I just don't want people who don't know the story to get the wrong idea.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Guys...I think everyone has given their valid opinions, although before this starts to head down the wrong path....I'm just going to close it.

Religion is a very touchy subject and not one that needs to be discussed on the magic boards. I'm a Christian as well but I could see how other members may start to feel uncomfortable with this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results