For Those in School

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
Oh and NightN, education here does suck. My mother covered material in 3rd grade that I covered in 8th (she went to school in Russia)...

Well we were discussing stuff in an IRC channel and a guy from Sweden knew a girl(reliable source indeed *cough*) who is a teacher in the US and she said the tests teachers had to take while becoming a teacher was 9th grade stuff back in Sweden.(I guess it's good enough if you are a teacher in elementary school)

But it's not only about quality of the teachers and what the students learn. It's about how crowded the schools are and if everyone gets the help they need.

Problems like 50+ students per class room etc. I think I read somewhere.

I mean where I go to school each different class(biology, maths etc) we are about max 10 students. In most we are about 5-6 and the whole grade is about 20 students. So if I don't have a F'ing clue what's going on the teacher can immediately help me out. A friend of mine goes to university and his class was 18 students last year but 15 dropped out(people who picked the wrong university) and now they are 3. So getting personal time with a teacher is no problem it seems.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
okay well, I want to be the best magician ever, so i'm going to follow my rules and read books about successful people. and what they teach me in school does NOTHING to help me become a magican, although i can perform in school and dicipline myself in school. But what classes teaches me IS NOT important to me. Everyone is different, everone has different beliefs.

okay well, I want to be the best magician ever, so i'm going to follow my rules and read books about successful people. and what they teach me in school does NOTHING to help me become a magican, although i can perform in school and dicipline myself in school. But what classes teaches me IS NOT important to me. Everyone is different, everone has different beliefs.

I would get advice from the theory11 crew about your feelings. If you really think you are a great magician then go for it. Ineski is an amazing creator and he has a future, me if I was a genius like paul harris I would be a magician to. But I'm not I'm a noob, and if your to then stick to your studies. Also what type of magician do you want to be. A performer who works at bars, restaurants. Have a tv show like Criss Angel, or be a creator who sells tricks like Danny Garcia.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway

I'll see you in X amount of years packing my bags at the grocery store.

But seriously I hope one of the T11 artists will slap you in the face and teach you something about reality.

Your best bet of becoming a paid and skilled magician is stay in school and do your best. Meanwhile if/when you are old enough, perform for people in bars, pubs and everywhere that people might gather and are just hanging and doesn't object to some free tricks.
If you are awesome and can really talk to the audience. Someday, someone will say hey dude man you are awesome, I'm holding a big party and I would like you to come do some tricks for us. I will pay you of course. Even if you have to do it for free a lot of people will see you perform and if you are awesome you might get more gigs.
If becoming a paid magician didn't work out. You have a back up plan, your real education and the job it gave you.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
she said the tests teachers had to take while becoming a teacher was 9th grade stuff back in Sweden.

Nobody ever understands the meta-question of how you approach the test.

It's not about getting the right answer, any more than a magic trick is about finding the right card. You don't find the right card. You KNOW the right card. You forced it on the spectator in the first place. But what the hell kind of trick is this:

"Pick a card. Is it the three of diamonds? Thank you very much!"

That show would suck.

The tests teachers take are mostly about the framework around it, and so is school. You don't have to be smart. You just have to play the game.

Just like your card trick doesn't have to be any more complicated than a slip force and a double lift - as long as you put good patter around it.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

No offense... but wow! As an English teacher, I am appalled that someone would actually write something like this seriously yet unknowingly of the number of basic grammar mistakes. Not only that, but to then go on and say that "what classes teaches me IS NOT important to me." I can picture it now, you going into a restaurant to try and get a weekly gig, handing them your resume as it says:

School History: Some Highschool where I studyied some stuff and things, but wasnt important

Work history: Nothin, cuz Imma be the worlds bestest magician.

So seriously, the only thing I can draw from your posts is that you are a lazy kid who understand nothing about the world.

I am only writing this harshly because of the recent attitude of the young magicians that can be seen on all of the forums... Humility is a lesson indeed that is seriously lacking these days.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
As an English teacher, I am appalled that someone would actually write something like this seriously yet unknowingly of the number of basic grammar mistakes.

You could give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he wrote "what school teaches me" and then corrected "school" to "classes" after thinking "I learn a lot outside of class, just not in class". That would be a correct sentence if he had said "school".

Most of the grammar mistakes in his post are pretty anal to whine about.

Sorry, I mean, "about which to whine". Look, I feel your pain. I hate, hate, HATE people that make stupid grammar mistakes. I see every one of them. Every missed capital, or misplaced apostrophe, or there/their/they're confusion - and, yes, every sentence ended with a preposition. (And every sentence fragment, not to mention every sentence started with a conjunction...) It honestly does bother me to write a sentence like the preceding paragraph, but when I "correct" it, don't I just look like I have a stick shoved somewhere?

Lighten up. It's the internet. Communication is a little different here. ;)

Dec 14, 2007
There are at least two interesting issues which come from Tally's point.

First, he clearly has no desire to learn. He asks a question on the forum, and rather than listen and evaluate the answers given by people who may have more knowledge and life experience than he, he assures us he is different, knows what he wants/needs, and has the answer. To paraphrase the classic Zen tale, his cup is already full. Until he realizes he needs to empty it, no learning will take place. And that is a shame. It also explains why he feels school is irrelevant to his success. He clearly knows everything already.

The second point is a little harder to put into words. At the risk of sounding rude, some of these posts (well intentioned or otherwise) are a bit like the blind leading the blind.

Tally asked a question about the impact of school on one's life. Well, the people who are qualified to answer are the people who have gone through the process (one way or the other) and can comment on what they've seen and experienced.

When I was young, I said lots of stupid things too. I thought "I'll never need this class in real life" or (when learning part leading rules for music theory class) "Bach didn't follow rules, he trusted his ear."

Both of which were wrong.

But when you are young (and there is nothing wrong with being young) you can only see so far down the path, and what you see is colored by what you know.

If you want advice on anything - talk to people who have gone through it. Want to learn the classic pass, find a real master - one of the old timers that KNOW how to make it invisible. Want to make money in magic, don't buy a Dave Dee course, talk to someone who is pulling in real money from performing. What to learn how school can affect your life, talk to people who have already gone through school (or didn't) and actually KNOW what it did for them.

Finally, to address this nonsense that successful people don't need school and are happy with their choices, I ask who is your source? A book? A book based on finding the exceptions and holding them up as a rule?

I perform for some very successful people - millionaires and billionaires. I get to know many of them. I do not know a single one who did not go to college that says they are happy that they missed that opportunity. I do not know a single one who would say that it is smart to turn down a learning opportunity. And I don't know a single one who has told THEIR CHILDREN - "blow off school, it doesn't matter. You can lead a happy life without it - just like in the movies."

Some people don't have the opportunities you have, and still make a success of their lives. That will always be true. But perhaps that success would have come more easily had they more tools in their tool belt.

But it doesn't matter. You've already made up your mind. Good luck with that.

Brad

Nov 6, 2007
Haha what a funny thread. School comes wayyyy before magic in my world. Although, I just do magic as a hobby. I do not see myself going pro or anything like that. But yeah under no circumstance should you give up a good educational background.

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
I stand for that, 1 life to live so live it happy

Dec 2, 2007
Tally,
I'm not going to tell you to give up your dream. Nor will I try to change how you see yourself in the future, but I will give you some advice. If you really are 100% commited to magic and really could see yourself doing it and making a living off of it, go for it. Don't half ass it, really go balls to the walls and you might make it. Practice non-stop, honestly you may want to drop out of school to spend more time focusing on what you do. Where I go to school it's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Thats how much you should be practicing, really practicing. Be commited. Do alot of magic for people who seem important. Get business cards, enter competitions, submit effects, do everything you can to make sure you don't fail.

Anything less and you'd be cheating yourself.

Sep 1, 2007

This right here is why America, wait...maybe I should say mexico? (if you did not understand what that means and your old enough you are one of the problems)

ok, lets go with mexamerica. This is why mexamerica is messed up. We have people that don't want to learn anything.

But let me ask you something. Do you mind saying "would you like fries with that?" for the rest of your life? if not then I say you should take school seriously. And if you don't take school seriously, and just want to play with cards all day. When you get old enough to vote, and maybe someone will ask your advice on something important, please don't vote and please don't help the people that asked you a question. For any advice you could give they could get from any child.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
okay im sticking to my belief. I WILL become the greatest. That is my goal, i WILL get it no matter how many years i will spend. Please stop telling me to do otherwise. That's my belief and it won't change.

Sep 1, 2007
okay im sticking to my belief. I WILL become the greatest. That is my goal, i WILL get it no matter how many years i will spend. Please stop telling me to do otherwise. That's my belief and it won't change.

Did you at all happen to read the book "the secret" by any chance?

Any way, in the end, you do what you want, thats what makes this place so great. But just understand this. you can believe it all you want, but that does not mean it will happen. I don't mean to crush your dream or anything, but get real.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
From what I've learned, "If i have faith and believe it I will see it." It's called believing before seeing. Don't worry dude you not crushing my dreams, it wil become reality =]

Sep 1, 2007
From what I've learned, "If i have faith and believe it I will see it." It's called believing before seeing. Don't worry dude you not crushing my dreams, it wil become reality =]

Ok so you must have read the secret right? maybe tbn? maybe both? where did you learn this?

So...if you have faith that you will have a big screen tv...does it appear there? how does that work?

I'm almost sure, that if you believe something is there (and its not there at the time), and then you see it, thats a mental disorder.

Can somone say INFLUENCED!!!

The media has gone straight to your head. It is very hard to make a living in magic, especially starting off with nothing. I enjoy magic alot and I don't want to put all that time and effort I have put into this art goto waste. So for me, i am going into film and photography so I can do somthing I enjoy and make a decent ammount of money out of it.

Trust me, I am the biggest slacker in school, if you don't listen to anyone else atleast take this.

Don't underate school.

Nov 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There are at least two interesting issues which come from Tally's point.

First, he clearly has no desire to learn. He asks a question on the forum, and rather than listen and evaluate the answers given by people who may have more knowledge and life experience than he, he assures us he is different, knows what he wants/needs, and has the answer. To paraphrase the classic Zen tale, his cup is already full. Until he realizes he needs to empty it, no learning will take place. And that is a shame. It also explains why he feels school is irrelevant to his success. He clearly knows everything already.

The second point is a little harder to put into words. At the risk of sounding rude, some of these posts (well intentioned or otherwise) are a bit like the blind leading the blind.

Tally asked a question about the impact of school on one's life. Well, the people who are qualified to answer are the people who have gone through the process (one way or the other) and can comment on what they've seen and experienced.

When I was young, I said lots of stupid things too. I thought "I'll never need this class in real life" or (when learning part leading rules for music theory class) "Bach didn't follow rules, he trusted his ear."

Both of which were wrong.

But when you are young (and there is nothing wrong with being young) you can only see so far down the path, and what you see is colored by what you know.

If you want advice on anything - talk to people who have gone through it. Want to learn the classic pass, find a real master - one of the old timers that KNOW how to make it invisible. Want to make money in magic, don't buy a Dave Dee course, talk to someone who is pulling in real money from performing. What to learn how school can affect your life, talk to people who have already gone through school (or didn't) and actually KNOW what it did for them.

Finally, to address this nonsense that successful people don't need school and are happy with their choices, I ask who is your source? A book? A book based on finding the exceptions and holding them up as a rule?

I perform for some very successful people - millionaires and billionaires. I get to know many of them. I do not know a single one who did not go to college that says they are happy that they missed that opportunity. I do not know a single one who would say that it is smart to turn down a learning opportunity. And I don't know a single one who has told THEIR CHILDREN - "blow off school, it doesn't matter. You can lead a happy life without it - just like in the movies."

Some people don't have the opportunities you have, and still make a success of their lives. That will always be true. But perhaps that success would have come more easily had they more tools in their tool belt.

But it doesn't matter. You've already made up your mind. Good luck with that.

Brad

THIS GUY GETS IT! Please for heavens sake take what he says into consideration and realize that your only hurting yourself...

On another note i think its those books your reading that are messing you up. Just put them down for 2 seconds to realize that the world around doesnt end up like it does for the people in the books. ontop of that, do you know what the people who are trying to influence really want from you? MONEY! They are teaching you these things and getting you to buy these books so they can make a profit! For all you know that could care jack**** about you, they just want you to buy thier books and then they make money.

Those books are ment to help you and not take control over your life with your thinking that if you "belive it will happen it will." which i dont agree on. Getting somewhere in life is determined by how much time and effort you put into it not by how much you believe in it.

People that are so easily influenced by such things and refuse to take advice from other, more experianced people (as you are doing with school) make me sick to know that im a part of this generation.

Anyway I know this will not influence you at all, considering your attitude, good luck bagging groceries for the rest of your life.

I just hope you find that even if you want to prosper in your magic career you still need an education to back it up. As Delta said though, dont half ass it, if you truely believe you can do it, drop out of school now.

P.S. Im sorry if this sounds hateful but i just got sick to my stomach after reading all of Tallys ignorant comments.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results