Go.Out.Perform.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Sorry to bring back all the way from page one but I agree with copperfield here. You have no clue if people on youtube also perform live. I mean I do some youtube or vimeo vids but I also always perform live I just don't tape it all the time like some of you. I find it makes the spectators uncomfortable and they don't know how to react in front of a camera and it's a bit akward for them. IMO

-Jake

Well, it all depends on you, to be sincere, I have never had a problem recording people, neither I have seen them feeling weird because we are recording them, if you smile and you are sincere since the beggining, they soon forget that they are being recorded, and, on a plus, my cammera man is very friendly, he interacts with the people as well so I have not encountered a problem like that yet.

And about the youtube people posting live performances, geez, it is REALLY rare that I see one.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
^^ it's a shame that I can't perform in english, there isn't much for you guys to criticise me taking the performance appart.:(

we can. what really work in the biddle trick is that u turned one card at a time to build up tension, i think it really works well. we cant help u with patter but we can still help

Sorry to bring back all the way from page one but I agree with copperfield here. You have no clue if people on youtube also perform live. I mean I do some youtube or vimeo vids but I also always perform live I just don't tape it all the time like some of you. I find it makes the spectators uncomfortable and they don't know how to react in front of a camera and it's a bit akward for them. IMO

-Jake

yeah its true but there is no point of magic if it is going to become peopl in their bed rooms u do need to mix it up like u do

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Title of Performance: March Performances

Hey Sam, I liked your video, but there are some things that I would like to talk for a bit..

*Flourishing

I really like flourishes, but I think that it its a crime to do them in front of laymen, why?because it takes off the mystique around your tricks, if you do flourishes in front of laymen, well yeah, it looks impresive. but inside their minds they are going to begin thinking"well, I dont know how he did that, but I'm sure it is just skill with his fingers"... maybe a fan, or a nice spread are acceptable flourishes.

*Performance

You got pretty decent reactions, it looks like you are a decent performer, but I would really have liked to see the whole routine to see how are you interacting with people, the patter that you are using and those things, althought I did catch that sometimes you sound exactly like the way that Wayne Houchin or the Bucks talk while they present their tricks, I mean the same tone of voice, it also looks like you just learned the tricks, you practiced them until performance level, and you did them with the exact presentation that you learned, try to come up with your own ideas to present the tricks.

Overall, I really liked it, thanks a lot.

Fritts1223

Spring street magic​

Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKwJkp2iGbs

Hey! So you got pretty decent reactions and I liked that, you have a very casual manner to present your tricks and you come like "hey it's just a card trick" so that really throws them off guard, they don't expect that, good job.

There were actually some things that I didn't like from the video, first of all, you saying the name of the trick before presenting them IN FRONT of your spectators, I really think that it is something that it's just plain wrong,It kinda takes the magic away, and it does sound like you purchased the trick from an online store(wait! magic can be bought via internet?) well I dont know it is just my opinion, I really dont like that.

About the patter itself, I really liked the guy with the ball performance overall, very nice opener and I really liked how you presented the"time machine" trick , good good stuff, the last two performances were the ones where I think that you could have presented them a little bit better, I do like things like "well this is not your card right? it changes into your card!" as openers, but sometimes that can have a stronger impact if you add some twists and some good lines of patter along the lines, maybe with witness, instead of saying things like "well im going to slooowly change your joker into your card" you could say something about them closing their eyes and imaginating their card in ther hand, feeling it, making really sure that their card(not their joker) it's in their hand...anyway, it's all about preference, try it and see what works best for you...same thing with stigmata....

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Performer: Jack "cringe magic" webster

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNTDYpvP_0g

effect name: Generic Card Transpo

Performance: I think it went pretty well. They kept on asking to see this trick over and over again. I want to slow it down some and think of some good patter.

It did went pretty well, all the performance was very casual, your tone of voice and the way you talked wasn't rushed and your double lifts were handled pretty natural, I also like how there was a motivation behind everything that you asked them, like"put your hand on top so I can't get it " good stuff, the climax could have been a little more hyped in my opinion but it went really great, with good patter and the way you are doing the trick you can get killer reactions, thanks a lot for contributing:).

Rahat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOJBpAfiUJ4

Title of Performance: Card Sharpie by Rahat

Ok, that went really great, the only thing that I would like to add , its that you should really believe "that you didnt find their card"make that statement believable, how? give them the pack to shuffle it after they saw their card, that way when you "not find their card" they have reasons to believe you that you didnt.

Btw, I really liked your force, pretty clean, pretty natural.

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey Sam, I liked your video, but there are some things that I would like to talk for a bit..

*Flourishing

I really like flourishes, but I think that it its a crime to do them in front of laymen, why?because it takes off the mystique around your tricks, if you flourishes in fornt of laymen, well yeah, it looks impresive. but inside their minds they are going to begin thinking"well, I dont know how he did that, but I'm sure it is just skill with his fingers"... maybe a fan, or a nice spread are acceptable flourishes.

*Performance

You got pretty decent reactions, it looks like you are a decent performer, but I would really have liked to see the whole routine to see how are you interacting with people, the patter that you are using and those things, althought I did cacth that sometimes you sound exactly like the way that Wayne Houchin or the Bucks talk while them present their tricks, I mean the same tone of voice, it also looks like you just learned the tricks, you practiced them until performance level, and you did them with the exact presentation that you learned, try to come up with your own ideas to present the tricks.

Overall, I really liked it, thanks a lot.

Firstly thanks, for taking some time to help out :D
Well I don't want to start a debate on flourishes, but personally I think they are not a problem and have helped in performances, here's why: it helps estabilish credibility, so they know instantly that I am serious and have actual skill. They expect to be amazed and so they more likely will be. Also I won't ever flourish during a trick to "shuffle the deck", only between tricks. Also on a more personal note I just enjoy flourishing and showing off, and like you said it is impressive and I (and many other flourishers) have been actually accused of using glue or magnets, even hinges to keep the cards together "magically"

Also pulling out something like haunted deck or stigmata or even the biddle trick and stuff where they handle the cards mostly help so they don't blame 'fast hands'.
"I don't care how quick he is, I had the deck covered with my hand the whole time!"
Actually, I don't think anyone has ever accused me of 'fast hands' or anything like that.

ON presentation: Well this was more of a 'promo video' I guess you could call it, so I wanted to get mostly people's reactions in there.
But I am actually quite proud of creating a pretty unique and genuinly funny and amazing performance. Granted, I am really influenced by Wayne :p
BUT don't think that I haven't given lots of thought into making the presentation work so that I can be very comfortable performing it without sounding like I'm a different person.

THanks once more for the feedback, I DO appreciate it.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Fritts1223

Spring street magic​

Effects performed: Pressure, Torn and Restored, Time machine, Witness, and Stigmata

Audience: Random teenagers at a local park. The spectators were either just sitting around or walking passed me when I approached them.

Performance: The first performance I just approached the girls randomly, trying to be friendly. The other performances were asked for by people asking what I was doing with the camera. Things I noticed were that the audience really reacts strongly to effects that are put into their own hands. I tried to be as natural as I could in my performances. I think that made it much easier for people to open to the magic experience.

Hey Frits, because everyone has been praising your recent live performance video, you now got yourself a topic stimulated by you! Aint you proud of that!?

I am. For the Greater Good.

First thing to mention is, i like the feel in your approach. If someone with that cool attitude walked up to me, and said "Wanna see a trick?" with boundless confidence (like you portrayed), then it would make my day. Most people stutter while asking, people shy away, people get sweaty and shakey. We should learn from this.

I am not familiar with how you perform, the persona you take, or how you see your magic, how you want it to be seen; but i dislike it being called "trick". To me, it dilutes it, it downgrades it, the thing you are showing. I avoid using that all the time - when i go out to perform for people who are in the young adult/adult range, they tend to think of tricks when you say magic, "magic trick magic trick". I stop them right away when they say that, i tell them "I dont do tricks", because its like throwing away the context that magic represents for. The bigger picture. Like shutting their gates before they experienced it. Even if you dont take magic seriously like professionals do, you should present it in a manner which demands respect - dont misunderstand Fritt, im not talking about you in any way. I just have a disliking for the word trick thats all. Its not you.

First effect was Pressure wasn't it? Im sure you have heard people saying how you shouldnt have had the balloon out already and stuff like that. Now i believe so too, i won't nag you as to why but all i want to add to it is that maybe you could introduce the balloon somehow. Add a bit of context to this balloon. I havent got any ideas yet, but i will give you an example. In the AoA Vol 1, there is an effect called Vanish 5000, with the Sugar Packet. The effect goes as follows:

"While hanging out at a coffee shop you mention there are exactly 5000 granules of suger in every sugar packet. You rip open a fresh packet and invite nearby diners to count along with you as you pour the 5000 granules into your fist. The packet is now empty. No sugar has left your hand, yet when you slowly open your fingers, the 5000 granules have completely and irrevocably vanished. Theres nothing to say, so say it with the fewest words possible."

This may not be a good example, but you see how he gave the lil sugar packet context? A simple bold statement such as knowing there are 5000 granules in a packet in every sugar packet naturally reels people in to this. Of course, that is bait, the good stuff is behind it. I hope you understand what i mean.

Second effect, the torn and transposed card. I like how you played it throughout.

Third effect Time Machine, one of my personal favs. This effect can be presented in many ways, rather than the old "Did you know in every deck of cards there is a Time Machine?". It's good, but people can't relate to it. I have a few presentational ideas and scripting, i will share it with you in hopes it stimulates your thinking. I'll send you a PM bout it. BTW, did you do any effects for the baby in the red?

Fourth effect. Like everyone says, don't say the effect's name out loud. Shh! Also, try not to call your attention on the "Joker", they know its the Joker, they saw it just a moment ago, so telling them its the Joker makes no sense. Also, i dont know if you use that presentation of changing the card with adults or people older than kids, but that kinda makes the spectator feel awkward - rubbing the card and making it change that is. Like somebody else said (i forget who it was), try and have them think about the Joker (inside the bag btw), and in their minds, guide them through images of the Joker morphing into their card. An example of this would be psychological card forces, im sure you have heard (or even know a few), so you could use the concept within this effect. To make it even bigger than it is.

Fifth effect Stigmata. When you have a spectator freely pick a card, when they have picked the card they want, don't ask them "Are you sure?", it's pointless. Also. What part of the body language tells you that it is a red card exactly? If you were to perform for a much wiser minded and a broader range, and they asked you how can that be, then what would you say?

Some final words. Like the comment i gave Z magic about his confidence in performing, the building of suspence and climax, you have done good. You didnt shift weight between your feet, you didnt lose crowd control, you had your patter recorded good, your sleight execution thumbs up. Just work on your presentation - that is where the exquisite tastes of magic are found, and it is the most rewarding part of your journey. Try and make effects your own, presentation wise. Try to relate your effects towards the audience. Try and get them hooked.

I would love to see more live performances from you. Check your PM when you have time.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Fritts1223

Spring street magic​

Effects performed: Pressure, Torn and Restored, Time machine, Witness, and Stigmata

Audience: Random teenagers at a local park. The spectators were either just sitting around or walking passed me when I approached them.

Performance: The first performance I just approached the girls randomly, trying to be friendly. The other performances were asked for by people asking what I was doing with the camera. Things I noticed were that the audience really reacts strongly to effects that are put into their own hands. I tried to be as natural as I could in my performances. I think that made it much easier for people to open to the magic experience.

just something i noticed,
When you went up to the guy, you said "normal deck of cards, right?"

why did you say that? why wouldnt it be a normal deck? it adds suspicion. theres no reason for them to think that something is wrong with that deck of cards, cause nothing even started yet, i always see magicians doing that, don't add suspicion, i remember a while back i watched a video of some little boy and he said "this is a normal doller bill right?" it just sounds silly, cause theres just no reason for anyone to think its not normal. its a normal object. people arent gonna automatically think RIGGED DECK! everytime you pull out your cards haha. so i wouldnt say that, i would, depending the trick, just let them see it or shuffle it to begin with instead of saying "normal deck right?" OR another thing, you don't even have to do anything. If they accuse it of not being normal, or ask, let them see it. Other than that, nothing really has to be done.

-Nikki

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
To Fritts,

First off, I want to congratulate you on performing. not many people have the guts to perform, but you do!

* Pressure: It was rushed. Your moves and angles were flawless! the tip I would give you is build it up.

* Torn & Restored: Timing was good! I wouldn't say "riffle" I would say " I'll go through the cards like this..." The reaction was ones of the better I have seen.

* Time Machine: I don't really have a critique for you.

* Witness: Ummm... I'd switch the performance from Lee Asher to Amanda. A little rushed but awesome reaction!

* Stigmata: I thought it was robotic.

* Final Comments: Now keep in mind I was just knit picking back there, but in general your doing good! A couple of things to think about. Don't just go through the motions of the effects. What I mean is that I want you to be you and I want to see the difference form run of the mill performer and Amanda. I know you have it in you! rise above the artists and make the effect your own and own it. I know you can do it! Maybe talk with the audience a bit more, don't make them feel so outcasted. You have so much potential and I would hate to see it go to waste. don't let witness and stigamta be their effect make it yours. Outstanding job!

- Zac

P.S. Take the brightness out of the video. Just a thought;)

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
To Fritts,

First off, I want to congratulate you on performing. not many people have the guts to perform, but you do!

* Pressure: It was rushed. Your moves and angles were flawless! the tip I would give you is build it up.

* Torn & Restored: Timing was good! I wouldn't say "riffle" I would say " I'll go through the cards like this..." The reaction was ones of the better I have seen.

* Time Machine: I don't really have a critique for you.

* Witness: Ummm... I'd switch the performance from Lee Asher to Amanda. A little rushed but awesome reaction!

* Stigmata: I thought it was robotic.

* Final Comments: Now keep in mind I was just knit picking back there, but in general your doing good! A couple of things to think about. Don't just go through the motions of the effects. What I mean is that I want you to be you and I want to see the difference form run of the mill performer and Amanda. I know you have it in you! rise above the artists and make the effect your own and own it. I know you can do it! Maybe talk with the audience a bit more, don't make them feel so outcasted. You have so much potential and I would hate to see it go to waste. don't let witness and stigamta be their effect make it yours. Outstanding job!

- Zac

P.S. Take the brightness out of the video. Just a thought;)

First of all, I really appreciate all the comments I've received about my video.

Zac, thank you for your comments. About Witness, I had actually just purchased so it was new to me. I knew how to do if of course but I didn't have much time to play around with the patter. My friends peer pressured me into performing it for the spectators because they enjoy it so much, lol. But i totally agree with you that each person's performance should be their own.
Thank you for your comments!
and about the brightness, i know it's annoying, haha. i apologize. it was really bright that day and i tried to edit it out but it looked weird. next time i'll try to not make it so bright :]

Nikki- you mentioned that you didn't like that I said "it's a normal deck"... Well, i find that a lottt of the time when i perform, one of the first things i hear is, "that's a trick deck isn't it?". so, i thought i would put an end to that before it happened.

Shakutau- Thank you for taking the time to write such a long reply. And i really appreciated the message you sent me as well. It had a lot of good ideas in it and i am definitely pondering them.
About the "body language" part of stigmata.. Well, i personally love revealing a card by telling someone I can tell because of their body language. Trust me, i've done this for people of all ages, and levels of "wiseness" as you said, and it freaks them out. The part that freaks them out is obviously the thought, "what exactly did i do?! ". People still come up to me and ask me what exactly i saw. It works well for me. It may not for other people but, i've always got good reactions with it.
Thank you again! :]

RDChopper- Thank you for your comments. Again, i'll say this.. It was my bad for saying the name of the trick. I don't think any of the spectators caught on to it at all but i'll make sure not to do it again. If i wasn't filming, i would never have even thought to say it.

Again, thank you for all of your comments! this is a great thread. :]]

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
Jack Webster (cringe magic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hMS0BpeNSc&feature=channel_page

Title of Performance: Emotional Intelligence

Effects performed: A cool Mentalism routine created by Luke Jermay, were there are 7 cards with 7 differnt things on them. These things are Travel, Health, Education, Sex, Career, Ambition, Money. These things are the 7 things 'physics' will tell you about. You than spread out the 7 cards and let them take one while you turn away. You continue to take out a piece and write down what they picked.

Than there is a second phase that I don't normally do (and didn't) were you give your 'physic powers' to a member and they guess the persons card.

But any ways on the the third and final phase. The final phase is they pick one, look at it and leave it on the table. You than ask them to think of a memory when this happened or an event when this happened. You than ask them to think of some one who was involved in this memory. You take out a piece of paper and write down something and fold it up. Than you do the same thing but this time you ask them to think of when it happened. You than write that down. Than finally you tell them to think of the card they chose and write that down. Than you show that all three selections were correct.

Audience: My school's security people who wanted to see a trick and some of my friends at lunch.

The Performance: I felt like I did pretty good. I when about the right speed and kept them inserted on what I was doing which is some times hard when doing a mentalism routine in a non stage situation. They didn't know how I did it (not even the one kid that can figure out any magic trick even if I do it perfectly) I wish I talked louder though because they might have heard me better.

Any suggestions would be welcome :D

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
First of all, I really appreciate all the comments I've received about my video.

Zac, thank you for your comments. About Witness, I had actually just purchased so it was new to me. I knew how to do if of course but I didn't have much time to play around with the patter. My friends peer pressured me into performing it for the spectators because they enjoy it so much, lol. But i totally agree with you that each person's performance should be their own.
Thank you for your comments!
and about the brightness, i know it's annoying, haha. i apologize. it was really bright that day and i tried to edit it out but it looked weird. next time i'll try to not make it so bright :]

Nikki- you mentioned that you didn't like that I said "it's a normal deck"... Well, i find that a lottt of the time when i perform, one of the first things i hear is, "that's a trick deck isn't it?". so, i thought i would put an end to that before it happened.

Shakutau- Thank you for taking the time to write such a long reply. And i really appreciated the message you sent me as well. It had a lot of good ideas in it and i am definitely pondering them.
About the "body language" part of stigmata.. Well, i personally love revealing a card by telling someone I can tell because of their body language. Trust me, i've done this for people of all ages, and levels of "wiseness" as you said, and it freaks them out. The part that freaks them out is obviously the thought, "what exactly did i do?! ". People still come up to me and ask me what exactly i saw. It works well for me. It may not for other people but, i've always got good reactions with it.
Thank you again! :]

RDChopper- Thank you for your comments. Again, i'll say this.. It was my bad for saying the name of the trick. I don't think any of the spectators caught on to it at all but i'll make sure not to do it again. If i wasn't filming, i would never have even thought to say it.

Again, thank you for all of your comments! this is a great thread. :]]

yeah yeah i know, but like i said before...it just adds suspicion thats not needed. If they say that then in that case just let them see it first. but if it IS rigged...then in that case i would just casually show the cards [if you can in some way] first and not even say anything just like quick quick. I think in some sort of way it just takes away from the magic a little bit, coming from the magician that is. If they accuse you its like so what cause they don't know any better. but like, you don't wanna say "this is a normal deck right?" cause then, its like ok so if that ones normal...like it puts in their minds there IS a rigged deck somewhere though you may not be useing it at the moment. Then they're watching you better. you never want them to even have it in their mind for a second that the deck is doing the magic. im not sure if you know what i mean, im like really tired writing this so my word choices are like..scarse ill probly end up editing this more when im more awake but i think you sorta get the idea

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Now that list up there is biased Z.

This list is guarantee 100% UN-Biased. This list is soely based on effeort. You don't have to look like a pro to get on the list. If I see a video of someone performing submitted to this thread, your on the list. Because that means you took the time to go out there and show your skill. If you see me add people or delete people that you feel I did wrongfully, Please bring this to my attention.

Hope this cleared you doubts,

- Zac

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio

yeah yeah i know, but like i said before...it just adds suspicion thats not needed. If they say that then in that case just let them see it first. but if it IS rigged...then in that case i would just casually show the cards [if you can in some way] first and not even say anything just like quick quick. I think in some sort of way it just takes away from the magic a little bit, coming from the magician that is. If they accuse you its like so what cause they don't know any better. but like, you don't wanna say "this is a normal deck right?" cause then, its like ok so if that ones normal...like it puts in their minds there IS a rigged deck somewhere though you may not be useing it at the moment. Then they're watching you better. you never want them to even have it in their mind for a second that the deck is doing the magic. im not sure if you know what i mean, im like really tired writing this so my word choices are like..scarse ill probly end up editing this more when im more awake but i think you sorta get the idea

I totally understand what you're saying. It's not that i don't. It just comes down to personal preference, I guess. And I don't say that every time i do a card trick. I generally only do it for tricks where peope tend to believe that it's a trick deck. I don't think it really makes that much of a difference either way. people don't remember the beginning of the trick, they remember the end.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results