Go.Out.Perform.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
people don't remember the beginning of the trick, they remember the end.

If that's the case, something its wrong with your performance then, if they are only going to remember the end and not the whole routine that its around that climax, why bother?besides, all the things that you do before the climax MATTERS because the final memory of the spectator is founded not only by the climax, but from all the things that you did, that led to that moment of astonishment.

just my opinion, doesn't means that I am right.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
I totally understand what you're saying. It's not that i don't. It just comes down to personal preference, I guess. And I don't say that every time i do a card trick. I generally only do it for tricks where peope tend to believe that it's a trick deck. I don't think it really makes that much of a difference either way. people don't remember the beginning of the trick, they remember the end.

yeah, but wait, you say you only do it for tricks where people believe that its a trick deck, but i don't know in my opinion its the way you play it off i guess. Like why would they believe its a trick deck? the words you use and just the way you do the entire trick, like the convincers....if those are good they shouldn't suspect anything. i mean i know sometimes your gonna get people where thats still not good enough, but yeah. and i agree with Raul, they should remember the climax all the build up not just the end.

-Nikki

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone who doesn't post a video isn't a 'real' performer. A lot of us don't have a camera or cameraperson handy when we perform, but that doesn't mean we don't perform.
Sorry, but this post just gave off a really "mighty-er than thou" vibe, in my opinion.

EDIT: it's gone now.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone who doesn't post a video isn't a 'real' performer. A lot of us don't have a camera or cameraperson handy when we perform, but that doesn't mean we don't perform.
Sorry, but this post just gave off a really "mighty-er than thou" vibe, in my opinion.

yea i agree, i know of a lot of good performers that are members. Most of them don't post anymore for certain reasons but yeah. Also, i would be one of those people, i don't have a camera person thats why i haven't posted any videos. So yeah don't assume people who don't post a video here don't perform.

Apr 11, 2009
i am pretty sure that i am getting a new camera for my birthday which is in june because mine broke. Since cameras cost alot however, i wont be getting new tricks, but i will try to get some videos of me at school so, yea

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
i used to get one of the audience to record when i didnt have a camera dude, but still its not a great thing to do. the audience wants to be entertained not work.

i liked the list but it makes sense, not everyone records their performances

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
If that's the case, something its wrong with your performance then, if they are only going to remember the end and not the whole routine that its around that climax, why bother?besides, all the things that you do before the climax MATTERS because the final memory of the spectator is founded not only by the climax, but from all the things that you did, that led to that moment of astonishment.

just my opinion, doesn't means that I am right.:)

I didn't mean they aren't going to remember the whole thing. i just mean they're focus isn't going to be on some random line at the beginning like, "normal deck, right?".

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
I didn't mean they aren't going to remember the whole thing. i just mean they're focus isn't going to be on some random line at the beginning like, "normal deck, right?".

no, mayb not but it might make them a little skeptical. it could make them watch you better. if i was a spectator and a magician told me. well they all know that like magic isnt real...they know you cant like levitate for real you know what im sayin? your not there to fool them, your there to entertain them. thats our goal as magicians, not to fool but to entertain and i just think that takes away from the experience. just my oppinion though. i mean its not THAT big of a deal, just stateing my oppinion.

EDIT: also, first impressions mean a lot. like for example today i went to the craft store, the lady that was working there was rude, she seemed to be annoyed by every question my mom asked. we got a really bad impression of her and it looks bad for the store. we went to a different one and they were kind and helpful, so we got a better impression from that store. same with magic, if u start out like that it makes it seem sorta like non-magical. like theyre thinkin ok theyre asking me if i think this is normal. it jus seems kinda...outta place? strange? i dont know. but yeah theres that verse someone who just goes and does their job of entertaining and not even sets up that whole 'are you going to heckle me' thing.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
i used to get one of the audience to record when i didnt have a camera dude, but still its not a great thing to do. the audience wants to be entertained not work.

i liked the list but it makes sense, not everyone records their performances

Jack Webster (cringe magic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hMS0BpeNSc&feature=channel_page

Title of Performance: Emotional Intelligence

i got some things to say. the 1st part of your performance it looked like u did it wrong. not only because i couldnt hear u, i said "let do it again" at the end. the camera should of spent more time on the audience because for someone watching magic on a screen the audience is the convincer. if i saw the reactions i would know straight away that it worked.

on the last part you only got less than a second of the audience reaction. reactions are important. its all psychology. the same way people laugh at comedy in a large group people feed of other peoples reaction too.

also this is a mentalist effect, nothing to do with slights so people are not going to be interested on ur hands and they know u its all about u reading their minds. so it should of been more focus on the audience and not u.
i know this magic has nothing to do with camera work but i feel it is still important

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
.......Wait..... If you guys have some sort of access to a camera how come yall complained?? Just curious.:confused::(

I told you buddy, puttin that list its pushing the issue too far, I know that you like people thant actually record their performances, but as other said, we can't talk for everybody, still, I know a couple of persons that actually perform but its not as easy for them to get a camera, hell, I even have troubles sometimes getting my uncle to lend me his.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
i wish the list could stay really, its just a list of people how record performances. i think people should look into things too much but i understand why its a an issue. it just shouldnt be one

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Jack Webster (cringe magic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hMS0BpeNSc&feature=channel_page

Title of Performance: Emotional Intelligence

The Performance: I felt like I did pretty good. I when about the right speed and kept them inserted on what I was doing which is some times hard when doing a mentalism routine in a non stage situation. They didn't know how I did it (not even the one kid that can figure out any magic trick even if I do it perfectly) I wish I talked louder though because they might have heard me better.

Any suggestions would be welcome :D

Really good performance, I liked it, althought the ambiental noise didnt let me hear clearly what you were saying , I actually understood how the presentation went... there are some things that I would like to talk a little...

Acting: you actually believe what you are saying, therefore they believe in it too, we have to remember to act the things we are talking about, I mentioned it in another thread, if you are going to say that you "lost their card" you really have to believe it, and make them believe it, not over acting it, just practicing how would you look or what would you say if you actually lost their card. Cringe, wonderufll presentation, you sure act what you say you are doing and you kept this misterious air around you through the performance:).

Attention:Again, congratulations friend, this routine in the wrong hands can be very boring, I mean, it has a strong climax, but in this routine you spend like 2 or 3 min I think just building it up, As I said , in the wrong hands it can be boring, but you managed to keep them interested during the whole routine:)

Overall, good work, keep them coming, and about the reactions, althought I was specting a lot of screams or things like that at the end, I just noticed that they were just astonished, you left them without words =).

If you have any more clips that you would want to share with us, don't refrain of doing so =).

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Sorry to bump this thread up, I just uploaded a new clip =).

RDChopper

http://www.vimeo.com/4915503

Tittle of performance:"Clipshift for real people?WTf!?"

Trick Performed: "Criterion" By Chad Nelson

Audience: Four girls and some friends, note that all the girls were dressing pink(Wtf!), besides that, they were very open since the beggining to the magic and to the directions that I was telling them, also, they were a lot of jokes in the performance, we enjoyed it and it looks like they enjoyed too, one of my fav clips
=).

Performance: It went pretty good I think, at the beggining I said to them how "static" could call certain cards charged with it, I even touched one of the girls with the cards and asked her if she feeled the static(Acting,making them believe your bull**), then I "made" the kings appear in her hand, I think that the good reactions there were also made because I made one of the girls shuffle the cards at the beggining, they didnt noticed th cullin ;).

Criterion, I love this trick, and with good patter it can play very good, I think I rushed the vanishes a little, I could have made the space between the vanishes a little bigger so that the effect could really register, but overall I think that it went ok, notice how in the first vanish the girl was like "what!?", and in the second vanish she actually followed with her eyes the card that I was "supposedly" holding in my hand, so it went ok.

My pass, horrible, I admit it, worst pass I have recorded on cam, I was trying to adjust my angles so that's why I made the BIIIIIIG motion there to cover the pass, the girls didn't see it, but I flashed for the cam.bad stuff.

Overall, I think that it went ok, I interacted a lot with them, and we had a really good time =).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you guys like it, what do you think of it? please post, comments and suggestions =).

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Sorry to bump this thread up, I just uploaded a new clip =).

RDChopper

http://www.vimeo.com/4915503

Tittle of performance:"Clipshift for real people?WTf!?"

Trick Performed: "Criterion" By Chad Nelson

Hey RD, thanks for that video. I quite enjoyed it.

Now i noticed when you were introducing yourself to the girls, there were a few which were not yet open enough to be part of the performance experience; for example the shorter girl, she seemed a bit shy, and unsure of what is going on, or just uncomfortable with the whole thing. Maybe next time if you run into this situation again, you could try and connect more before entering in the performing phase. Just try and get to know them a bit more, sometimes that is easy, as people will use shade caused by the group's reactions to hide away. Sometimes performers get nervous, and they want to get straight to the main part so its over and done with (not saying you are doing this btw), so they quickly shift focus onto the prop to avoid that; pretending to act all "serious" when infact they are also the ones being shy.

I was performing for a big group of people just a month ago in a park full of teens and young adults, one of the last few people i focused on were really shy. They were girls of course. They were also interested enough to stand up and watch, but was quite uncomfortable being a part of the main thing. I noticed that, so i focused on them more. I started talking to them, got to know them a bit more, they got to know me a bit more. If i didnt do that then i know in the back of my mind, that within this big group, even though everyone's enjoying it, i know some are not fully enjoying it....for some reason i have to track down.

Now just two days ago, i stumbled upon a group of three, the girl that was in the group recognised me when i walked up to them, the others were quite suprised she knows who i was, so performing for them was easy and enjoyable for all of us.

What im trying to say is, before you go and introduce your magic, spend just a few more moments with them. It helps a load. Even if you dont get a chance to talk to each and every one of them, if you constantly take notice of them (IE eye contact, smiling at them, calling them up for participation etc) and avoid making them feel "forgotten", then you've done a good job.

Also, if the camera man was able to get a shot of the other two more, then it would have been nice too.

Technique good, dont worry bout the pass (it does not make you a better performer anyhow). And yeah, if you gave time for the vanish to register then it would have been better. It kinda reminds me of Tommy Wonder's ACR routine, where he builds tension with the phases.

Thanks for sharing with us RD.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results