Go.Out.Perform.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Hey RD, thanks for that video. I quite enjoyed it.

Now i noticed when you were introducing yourself to the girls, there were a few which were not yet open enough to be part of the performance experience; for example the shorter girl, she seemed a bit shy, and unsure of what is going on, or just uncomfortable with the whole thing. Maybe next time if you run into this situation again, you could try and connect more before entering in the performing phase. Just try and get to know them a bit more, sometimes that is easy, as people will use shade caused by the group's reactions to hide away. Sometimes performers get nervous, and they want to get straight to the main part so its over and done with (not saying you are doing this btw), so they quickly shift focus onto the prop to avoid that; pretending to act all "serious" when infact they are also the ones being shy.

First of all, thanks for watching and commenting.

Im very glad that you touched the shorter girl subject, to be sincere, yes, she was very shy since the beggining, I was applying some things that I learned after studying what David Stone says "When approachin a new group of people, look out for their "leader" if you win him , it will be easier for you to perform for that group" obviusly, the leader here was the girl closest to me, she was the most spontaneus, she talked a lot more than the others, even the reactions of the other girls kinda were based on how this girl was reacting, so that's why my first thought was to "win her" by interacting with her from the beggining along with the tricks...

Now, you are right, I could have been more interactive with the shorter girl, the other thing to point out is that I only did two tricks for them, criterion and a tranposition, even in the transposition I didn't did the trick for the shorter girl( thing I should have done) the worst part is that I actually noticed how shy she was and I sittl focused on the other girls.... So yeah, I feel like S*** right now, thanks shakutau :((kidding) On a serious note, I will surely remember this next time I perform.

I Have a performance clip of another trick by chad nelson, whit a lot more patter in this one (I love it!, there is so much space to patter in that trick) and I actually think that I interacted with all of them, i'll try to upload it sometime in the future to see if you like it.

Thanks again for taking the time =).

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
For your new video RD,

I'll tell you what I can. You jumped right into the performance, which in my opinion is a great way to do it. You seemed to get them intrigued, although a little longer than expected. From my perspective the effect looked good. They enjoyed it which is the most important part! I'm giving you a 4 out of 5 on this one bro!

- Zac

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
Jack Webster (cringe magic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4FHDSfaJWI

Title of Performance: Inked

Effects performed: This is a cool trick from the ultra gaff deck. Were the specs select a card and return it to the deck. You take a card and it is wrong. But with a flick of the card and all the ink explodes off of it. You wipe off the ink to show there card written on it.

Audience: I perform to some kids in my school on the bus.

The Performance: I did the riffle force at the time, but now I do the classic force. I held the card to much/bent it to much before doing the change. But I think I didn't really rush it and they seemed to be amazed. I did some other ultra gaff tricks that I didn't get on camera though.

Any suggestions would be welcome :D

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com

Effects performed: This is a cool trick from the ultra gaff deck. Were the specs select a card and return it to the deck. You take a card and it is wrong. But with a flick of the card and all the ink explodes off of it. You wipe off the ink to show there card written on it.

Audience: I perform to some kids in my school on the bus.

The Performance: I did the riffle force at the time, but now I do the classic force. I held the card to much/bent it to much before doing the change. But I think I didn't really rush it and they seemed to be amazed. I did some other ultra gaff tricks that I didn't get on camera though.

Only thing i have to comment on is the use of filler words - like "Uhh", "Umm" and such. Don't use it too much.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert

It all went pretty smooth, your doubles were a little bit obvious, but aside from that, everything went ok, I think you could have hyped it a little more, but you still pretty good reactions.Thanks for the video, this is one of the first "inked"performances that I really like.

Sep 20, 2008
Click meee

There ya go RD. =]

Edit:

uhh. Debrief.. Hmm.

Ive got a thread about it? if that counts. can i just link it there? hahaha!

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=19391

I was browsing around my youtube channel, and i noticed that ive got one video of me doing magic.

Performing Angle Zero by Daniel Madison. One of the 'Student supervisors' were nice enough to film it for me.

The little box was for any donations that people wanted to give. Also, written on its side is my full card magic routine. It was written there because i didnt know it by heart, and rather than go 'improv' like what i'd normally do, i was trying to exempt a full-on routine. Phase by Phase.

And if anyone's curious, i made £8 that day. which is round about 20 bucks. (13 bucks actually. Corrected by MagicSanj.)

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
RDChopper

http://www.vimeo.com/5035798

Tittle of performance: "Trycicle"

The Audience: 5 girls and a guy, they are the same audince that was in my "biddle trick" performance, actually, I performed this trick after I performed the Biddle trick.

The Performance: Right after the biddle trick I told them If they believed me If I said to them that I was actually hypnotising them, using the words and my hand gestures, that's the presentation of the trick, I offer them to show them how with some simple but subliminal words and actions of my hands I could make them see things that were not really there, so the trick went as usual and I tried to interact with everybody this time, you'll see how we joke a little before and in the performance so everythin went okay, I think that I didnt rushed things and I love this trick! :D.

So please any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
RDChopper

The Audience: 5 girls and a guy, they are the same audince that was in my "biddle trick" performance, actually, I performed this trick after I performed the Biddle trick.

The Performance: Right after the biddle trick I told them If they believed me If I said to them that I was actually hypnotising them, using the words and my hand gestures, that's the presentation of the trick, I offer them to show them how with some simple but subliminal words and actions of my hands I could make them see things that were not really there, so the trick went as usual and I tried to interact with everybody this time, you'll see how we joke a little before and in the performance so everythin went okay, I think that I didnt rushed things and I love this trick! :D.

That was great. You were very engaging in your performance and I could tell they were very interested and impressed.

I just loved the ice cream guy who walked straight through everyone at the end lol.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Not that funny, it killed the reactions the girls were having.Really. hahaha

Yeah it was really bad timing.

The guy was just like ICE CREAM HERE EXCUSE ME. lol
Pretty rude. But honestly, I don't think he knew what was going on.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
That was great. You were very engaging in your performance and I could tell they were very interested and impressed.

I just loved the ice cream guy who walked straight through everyone at the end lol.

I second this. You see how involving, interacting, and building trust helps a great deal? During each performance, one must aim to create the most liveliest atmosphere possible. Great Performances RD. I really enjoyed watching that, if only i could understand your patter.

Oct 26, 2008
Minnesota
G.o.a.p.

Out of curiosity how do you know that youtube magicians don't perform for real people?

Because then their videos would have other people in them.....duh. :)

I remember a video on t11 getting crucified. The kid was doing an effect for...no one. Just his lonely web cam. People ate him up...saying just about the same things here....go out and perform for someone...if we wanted to see this trick advertised we would to to the one on one section.

So now here is the question...where to perform?

the mall - lots of different people, plus you will snag other people who will start watching.

Bars - I got a girl to scream from one of the card tricks...that brought some people over.

Shows - Check your papers...see if there are any Illuisonists coming to town. Who knows audition and see if they have a spot for you in the opening act. Worked for me.

Graduation parties - Tiss the season. I think these are great venues. You have a mixture of tuff cookies, and people that want to enjoy magic. I got to try some new tricks out here...even when some of them failed...they didn't seem that bad.

One of the greatest feelings is when you get a reaction that lets you know you've done everything right. These are the reactions you want to have on video.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Because then their videos would have other people in them.....duh. :)

I remember a video on t11 getting crucified. The kid was doing an effect for...no one. Just his lonely web cam. People ate him up...saying just about the same things here....go out and perform for someone...if we wanted to see this trick advertised we would to to the one on one section.

So now here is the question...where to perform?

the mall - lots of different people, plus you will snag other people who will start watching.

Bars - I got a girl to scream from one of the card tricks...that brought some people over.

Shows - Check your papers...see if there are any Illuisonists coming to town. Who knows audition and see if they have a spot for you in the opening act. Worked for me.

Graduation parties - Tiss the season. I think these are great venues. You have a mixture of tuff cookies, and people that want to enjoy magic. I got to try some new tricks out here...even when some of them failed...they didn't seem that bad.

One of the greatest feelings is when you get a reaction that lets you know you've done everything right. These are the reactions you want to have on video.

Thanks for participating, now, the objective of this thread it's not only to record great reactions, we are trying to learn from our mistakes and the mistakes from other, we can see how a trick looks in real life conditions and we can learn from it, sadly not a lot of people seem interested.

RDChopper

Nice job man, looks like you and your audience had a fun time with the trick, and that is what really matters. But yeah, bad timing on the ice cream guys part....

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Yeah i have to say... I did not like going out to do magic to others. I got nervous and chickened out. Anyway i was at school and did a trick for some girls and they loved it... Just be positive!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Yeah i have to say... I did not like going out to do magic to others. I got nervous and chickened out. Anyway i was at school and did a trick for some girls and they loved it... Just be positive!

All you really have to do is say to yourself "Whats the worse that could happen?"

You screw a mentalist/card/coin/sponge/whatever effect? So what, most people will generally completely forget about it and it's not going to affect your life or end it.

D

Deleted member 2755

I remember when I first started magic. If I messed up, it would kill my entire day. The rest of the day I would just be angry at myself. I almost quit magic many times. Just stay with it. Practice. Perform. You need to perform to get better. You can't be on top unless you've been on the bottom. (Well that sounds weird.) Practice practice practice. Perform perform perform.

-Doug

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results