How are is it a trick deck?

That is exactly why I will not use a custom deck if I can at all avoid it. Laymen don't buy the stories we tell about our effects. While entertained they don't actually accept that you snapping your fingers is what caused their card to reappear. Spectators do not want to be taken for fools so they will look for and cling to any possible excuse they can come to. With the case of custom decks their quest for a solution is a quick one. This is for two reasons:
1) The deck looks alien to them. They are used to red and blue riders or Hoyls. The artsy designs and often unusual colour patterns make the deck stand out in their minds. Laymen know that magicians can use gimicks to do their magic and it is inhearently easier for them to accept that if the prop used itself doesn't look "normal" to them.
2) The laymen are very much aware of cheap magic tricks like the Svenaglli deck, which can be purchased almost anywhere. When you think about it these decks often have an off-usual backing and design. So again we encounter a problem simular to point number one, and it all comes down to the stylized look of the decks.

I personally don't have a problem with custom decks for fun and games but I have learned that they are not suitable for professional use. Besides the issues discussed above they are expensive. I can go through a deck or five a week. Maybe more if I'm doing card stabs, folds, or signed cards. These custom decks are often between 3 and 5 dollars a piece. I can't justify the expense when a cheaper version (normal red/blue Riders) is available and gets better reactions.

I think really these custom decks are for amatures seeing as I've never seen a working pro use them. Just my thoughts.

Sep 2, 2007
London
If your spectators care about whether you're using a trick deck or not, then, to my mind, you're probably not doing magic, you're just showing them a trick. I think every magician needs to understand the difference between fooling someone and creating a magical effect. The latter can be acheived with almost no deception whatsoever, as in the case of a hypnotic induction, or with the most heavily rigged, unexaminable gaff deck ever, with a presentation consisting of a pack of lies. I believe it's possible to perform an effect, then expose the method, without detracting from the effect, in the right circumstances.

The performance of magic should be about a communication of a sense of wonder and astonishment, an creation of an epiphany and a glimpse into a world in which maybe anything is possible. Once you've justified to yourself why, in your character of miracle-worker, you're using cards at all, the use of one deck of cards over another is of absolutely insignificant consequence.

Jan 18, 2009
Well people should always suspect me since I am either using a marked deck or gimmicked deck most of the time. Whether it's Boris Wilds Marked Deck to Intuition's gimmicked deck, so people always suspect me even with a normal bike.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
it's true. I could probably go out with a pack of cards that have the words trick deck written on the back of each card and get away with it. Why because they are looking for an explanation. Custom decks have nothing to do with it. It's all what you do with it.

Sep 3, 2007
Throw them the deck and let them shuffle the cards and be like

"Now before you ask:

Yes it's a trick deck of cards.

Nah, I'm just playing. I can't afford one of those. I'm broke

I go thru packs faster than a smoker"

This lets you:

appear indifferent to the cards and they're just tool
establish your character
have them shuffled, but not create dead time cuz of the laugh
mythbust trick decks :)

Anyone do something similar?

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
probably because when they started they didnt have custom cards like we do today. they just stick to the cards they feel the most comfortable with and which they have used before. i dont think it looking like a trick deck has anything to do with it. if you look you will find videos of pros doing magic with custom cards.

Hold on here. I understand the whole comparison thing, people do it all the time, some look up to the professionals as The Standard, but who cares if they do use them or not? This isn't about them and their spectators, it's about us and ours. We're a New Generation, with New Skills, New Techniques and yeah, even New Cards. Not everyone's gonna have the same experiences in different parts of the world, hell, not even blocks apart. It has a little bit to do with everything that was mentioned up till now too though. Sometimes you don't handle the cards as best as you could, and that can make people watch a little closer and get suspicious. Sometimes you have to make a joke to get a laugh to get that little break in their vision to get your pinky set. And guess what, sometimes, just sometimes, it has nothing to do with you. Like most (as in not all) things, this subject isn't a one way street. It's more like an eight lane high way and no ones really completely wrong. This is not really directed towards anyone, it's just how I feel.

Dec 14, 2007
We're a New Generation, with New Skills, New Techniques and yeah, even New Cards.

Ok, I'll play.

Please identify three new skills or techniques created by this 'new' generation that is - well, "new". What revolutionary newness is there now that hasn't already been around for the past 20 years in one form or another?

Claims like this should be supported by something more than wishful thinking.

Perhaps I should have simply said new tricks instead of techniques. I got hot headed about the subject and didn't completely think about what I was typing. My apologies Brad. I respect that you called me on it aswell. I do stand by New Skills however. Skills are by definition, the ability to perform a task, and there are always new ways to perform a task.

Dec 14, 2007
Flourishing wasn't around 20 years ago?

Really?

Sure that's your final answer?

But as this is a discussion of trick cards, let's stay focused on magic related techniques.(But flourishing has been around for 100s of years.) Care to try again?

Dec 14, 2007
Perhaps I should have simply said new tricks instead of techniques. I got hot headed about the subject and didn't completely think about what I was typing. My apologies Brad. I respect that you called me on it aswell. I do stand by New Skills however. Skills are by definition, the ability to perform a task, and there are always new ways to perform a task.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. But let's keep thinking about this: what fundamentally new skills exist that aren't just extensions of exactly what we've been doing for years and years? Has the "new generation" produced anything that is actually "new?"

Brad henderson

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results