How did you do that?

Jun 22, 2009
Funny, I wrote a thread about this the other day.

Yes, you've turned it into a puzzle instead of theater.

Do you walk into a movie and refuse to suspend your disbelief for even a nanosecond and shout advice at the screen?

Translation: ass-kissing.

This is basically just a long-winded version of the "it's my style" excuse used by people who don't know what style is.

Because all jokes are funny. There is no such thing as a bad joke. Right? .... Right?!

You punched up bad responses. You got criticized for it. ****ing deal with it.

If close up magic is a theater then you should not be getting questions about how you performed something. How does me telling someone whos been on here longer then me to be more respectful to newer members come off as ass-kissing?...seriously…. explain that to me because I think your definition of ass kissing is a little off.

Who said anything about style? I am saying that people have choices on how they perform in front of people so if he wants funny responses to a question verses a straight forward monotone response then that’s a choice.

“Because all jokes are funny. There is no such thing as a bad joke. Right? .... Right?!”

Your point being what?....

OH- I thought we were supposed to put funny responses, then you put yours and the laughing stopped, my mistake.

are you also insinuating that someone asking for funny responses can't be helped by an indepth discussion on what lines work the best? OF COURSE NOT- why should any of us grow as performers if we already have our own style?

Good call

I have no idea what you’re getting at. This was a simple “suggestive thread” for responses to a simple question.

Seriously though… both of you are starting something up that died down... what’s the deal?

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
if you noticed or could read- we have actually had a pretty good discussion on why and how people ask what's happening. You should learn form those more experienced than you- and I'm not talking about how many forum posts we have.

What I was getting at was called "mocking." You said that you posted funny responses, which they weren't and were very very poor responses.

Which brings up another point, if close-up is a theatre, the spectators are your audience, don't they ask you after a performance "how did you get ready for this role" or "what was it like being that character?"

You might not have experience with live theatrical acting (which is fine, that's not an insult), but I am asked this fairly often. To which I respond with a true statement that is still giving the illusion that I did something they could not do, once I give my response people have said "I couldn't do that." or etc. etc. back to me as a compliment.

Comedians perform in theatres, don't they get heckled? Though asking how someone did that and heckling are 2 COMPLETELY different things, they can be handled in a correct and incorrect way, or better yet- efficient, and not as efficient.

Style IS how people perform, so don't know where the confusion is, but if your a kids magician, performing break away wand, and spongeballs, and silk vanishes, and a kid asks how you do it, and you respond "by f******g your mother," THAT would be extremely out of place. OBVIOUSLY that is an exaggeration of a response, but it is out of character nonetheless.

You might not be experienced enough to have had this happen to you, but I've been doing a show, tried out a joke or a line, and it was awkward for the audience, it didn't come off as well as it could've.

PERFECT EXAMPLE:

If you went out, as you are, and performed Gazzo's routine, the tricks, etc. down to the wire- it could still be a good show with your presentation and own lines (originality is another topic we're not bringing up)

BUT BUT BUT BUT

if you went out, performed Gazzo's routine LINE BY LINE, with HIS JOKES, NOBODY ON THIS EARTH, would watch you or stay for your show, you would come off, vulgar, rude, and, for lack of a better word, incredible.

Style and how you respond to questions like this are even more important than the magic that you do.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
if you noticed or could read- we have actually had a pretty good discussion on why and how people ask what's happening. You should learn form those more experienced than you- and I'm not talking about how many forum posts we have.

What I was getting at was called "mocking." You said that you posted funny responses, which they weren't and were very very poor responses.

Which brings up another point, if close-up is a theatre, the spectators are your audience, don't they ask you after a performance "how did you get ready for this role" or "what was it like being that character?"

You might not have experience with live theatrical acting (which is fine, that's not an insult), but I am asked this fairly often. To which I respond with a true statement that is still giving the illusion that I did something they could not do, once I give my response people have said "I couldn't do that." or etc. etc. back to me as a compliment.

Comedians perform in theatres, don't they get heckled? Though asking how someone did that and heckling are 2 COMPLETELY different things, they can be handled in a correct and incorrect way, or better yet- efficient, and not as efficient.

Style IS how people perform, so don't know where the confusion is, but if your a kids magician, performing break away wand, and spongeballs, and silk vanishes, and a kid asks how you do it, and you respond "by f******g your mother," THAT would be extremely out of place. OBVIOUSLY that is an exaggeration of a response, but it is out of character nonetheless.

You might not be experienced enough to have had this happen to you, but I've been doing a show, tried out a joke or a line, and it was awkward for the audience, it didn't come off as well as it could've.

PERFECT EXAMPLE:

If you went out, as you are, and performed Gazzo's routine, the tricks, etc. down to the wire- it could still be a good show with your presentation and own lines (originality is another topic we're not bringing up)

BUT BUT BUT BUT

if you went out, performed Gazzo's routine LINE BY LINE, with HIS JOKES, NOBODY ON THIS EARTH, would watch you or stay for your show, you would come off, vulgar, rude, and, for lack of a better word, incredible.

Style and how you respond to questions like this are even more important than the magic that you do.

Most people can tell when you are copying somebody else's lines or whatever.

Has Mac King and Penn would say, you need to get your pilot miles before you start making up a character. I think Mac talked about how when he was younger he had a character that was essentially a viking and everything. He did that for like 5 years and the audience and everybody KNEW that wasn't him, and then came Andy Kaufmen.

Getting your pilot miles is one of the things most people here NEED before they can start worrying about theater and all that jazz.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Touch'e Randy- touch'e

BTW, a character as a viking, that kicks so much a**

I had a funny idea with some fellow buskers, someone in a full military dress uniform, medals and all, doing the cups and balls completely in character. Just screaming at the audience about what he's gonna do next.
LOOK MAGGOTS- THE BALL IS GONE!

BUT ALSO, on that note- that's not always true if you use someone else's lines if you use them correctly, I mean, Carlos Mencia did his show for a while stealing other people's lines.

Also, I think that simply going out there and performing will give you a character- you'll learn what works and what doesn't and how to tweak your shows to make them better. So I think you are 100 PERCENT CORRECT with that, there is NO better substitute than experience

Jun 22, 2009

*Didn't want to quote your entire post*

The thing is we all have a choice on what we say and what works best. You can say something one time and completely flop with a reaction. If you work out body language, the lead into what you say and so forth you can really make almost anything work out. Not to mention that everyone is different so what you say will effect people differently. So in essence what my suggestions were may not work for you and what you do, but I have used those and got giggles and smirks out of them not to mention completely avoided being railed to answer the question legitimately.

You have come off differently this last post and I respect that. I just don't see how people on this site who don't agree with something tend to strip the persons opinion apart and trash it. If its something that you feel would not work for you then why comment on their thoughts and instead post your own. This thread went from suggestions to my opinion vs. your opinion.

Either way I have nothing against anyone here and would rather see this thread go back on track instead of a psychological breakdown of how magic should be all around.

To each his own..

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
BUT ALSO, on that note- that's not always true if you use someone else's lines if you use them correctly, I mean, Carlos Mencia did his show for a while stealing other people's lines.

Bad Example sense Joe Rogan pretty much called him out on that during 100% of Ned's career.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
*Didn't want to quote your entire post*

The thing is we all have a choice on what we say and what works best. You can say something one time and completely flop with a reaction. If you work out body language, the lead into what you say and so forth you can really make almost anything work out. Not to mention that everyone is different so what you say will effect people differently. So in essence what my suggestions were may not work for you and what you do, but I have used those and got giggles and smirks out of them not to mention completely avoided being railed to answer the question legitimately.

You have come off differently this last post and I respect that. I just don't see how people on this site who don't agree with something tend to strip the persons opinion apart and trash it. If its something that you feel would not work for you then why comment on their thoughts and instead post your own. This thread went from suggestions to my opinion vs. your opinion.

Either way I have nothing against anyone here and would rather see this thread go back on track instead of a psychological breakdown of how magic should be all around.

To each his own..

Fair enough, to each his own. I still don't think it went to "my opinion vs your opinion," but that's just my opinion ;)

I have nothing against you nor should anyone else, I realized that I MAY (just maybe) was starting to come off a little more bitter and snide than I wanted.

WEll then

SUGGESTIONS CONTINUE

Sep 1, 2007
If close up magic is a theater then you should not be getting questions about how you performed something.

First off, I said "magic," not "close-up magic." The statement referred to the entirety of magic.

Second, no. Have you ever been to a play?

If people are deconstructing everything the exact nanosecond after the proverbial curtain falls, then you ****ed up.

How does me telling someone whos been on here longer then me to be more respectful to newer members come off as ass-kissing?...seriously…. explain that to me because I think your definition of ass kissing is a little off.

I was saying that you want ass-kissing. You don't want criticism, you just want to hear nice things.

Who said anything about style? I am saying that people have choices on how they perform in front of people so if he wants funny responses to a question verses a straight forward monotone response then that’s a choice.

You basically just described an amateur's take on what style is. So yeah, my point stands.

Your point being what?....

We told you your "jokes" weren't funny. You gave us some vague statements about the thread being about humor. As if you were trying to say that there is no such thing as a bad joke.

The subjectivity argument only gets you so far. The fact remains that if you do not follow the "build up, build up, punchline" structure, it's not a joke. Even Rodney Dangerfield's one-liners followed the structure with a one-two punch.

"My uncle's dying wish was that I be sitting in his lap when he died. He was in the electric chair when he said it."
"My wife and I only smoke after sex. We've been on the same pack since 1975."
"I asked the bartender to make me a zombie. He said God beat him to it."

Saying, "It's complicated..." is not a punchline. It's not even a gag. That's the heart of the disagreement. It's not that it doesn't work for me, it's that it doesn't work for anybody. There's nothing remotely funny about that statement. No amount of body language can save that.

I just don't see how people on this site who don't agree with something tend to strip the persons opinion apart and trash it.

Not all opinions are created equal. An opinion is only as good as what you back it up with.

And I say there should be more discussion of what makes humor work. If you just parrot the lines without any understanding of the how and why, what good is it?

Jun 22, 2009
^^^^
Word... I’m done with the conversation as it will never go anywhere. Good luck on your future endeavors as a magician.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
^^^^
Word... I’m done with the conversation as it will never go anywhere. Good luck on your future endeavors as a magician.

Good luck to you,since you cant stop to think that YOU have the right of way instead of other peoples side on the subject.
Acting as if you know everything(like a teenager in other words,so that goes to me as well) you never learn and grow.

Jun 22, 2009
Good luck to you,since you cant stop to think that YOU have the right of way instead of other peoples side on the subject.
Acting as if you know everything(like a teenager in other words,so that goes to me as well) you never learn and grow.

I never claimed to know everything I'm just not going to have people put down my suggestions in a negative manner. If you look at my first post I never wanted anything, but to participate in this thread.

Good luck to you too.

Sep 1, 2007
^^^^

Confucius say, "There is no use carving on rotten wood."

I never claimed to know everything I'm just not going to have people put down my suggestions in a negative manner.

Barbara Billingsley in Airplane! say, "Chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help. Jive-ass fool ain't got no brains anyhow."

If all you wanted was a happy-sappy circle jerk, you should have just said so and avoided wasting my time trying to help you.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
DON'T GET THE HOSE

Kontents, maybe if you would realx and stop taking everything so personally ON AN INTERNET FORUM, we wouldn't give you a hard time.

Like Steerpike said, your lines weren't funny for the life of them...absoultely not funny, in no way.

And Steerpike said a VERY good point, NOT every opinion is equal, you need to back it up. I have experience to back it up, I know what I'm talking about with magic and acting/ theatre.

LISTEN TO US, listen to the facts presented, listen to WHAT we are saying, not HOW they are being said

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results