I got on TV!

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
80% of people watching will look up those sites
50% will remember the names correctly
45% will find the sites
30% will be interested
3% will buy the effects

According to a recent study, at least 80% of statistics are made up on the spot. :p

Congrats for getting on TV man, good luck for the future!

May 3, 2008
Congratulations on getting on TV! That seems really cool.

However, I think it was a mistake naming the name of the trick. Maybe even the website too. If you name the trick's name then tons will just look it up and find the tutorial on You Tube. If you mention the site's name they will find the trick and do the same. Then they will probably be the people who expose the tricks to their friends and on youtube or just reveal them by accident.

Anyway, congratulations on being on TV.

I would like to share with everyone here something which has proved extremely useful to me in these situations. i.e.- when someone asks where YOU learned magic from.
First of all, in most cases they are merely being patronizing, and the question is completely rhetorical! But hey, just in case, why not have some fun with it?
What I do is tell them a story... (like ALL patter, the more time you spend spinning this thread, the more it is likely to hold them)...
Example:
A long time ago (in 2001) I embarked upon what would become the most arduous journey of my entire life! My journey to see THE MASTER. Like many of us during this trying time, I was doing some soul searching and grappling with many philosophical questions. I had heard of a person who could simplify these issues with an artful manipulation of the things around him, thus bringing a new brighter perspective to life. This person was the MASTER. I had put my mind to seeking the MASTER, so that I could learn these "secrets" of simplifying life...

[ Then, describe the journey, IN DETAIL... use specifics, and draw this out if you like.
Hopefully, you get the idea. It is interesting to see how peoples' interest in the story changes from "WHERE did you learn that" to "WHAT happened next?!!"]

...then after 27 and a half days in the dessert and into the mountains with only a King Size package of M&Ms and a SMALL bottle of Gatorade, after searching the catacombs of the Aquarian Mt. range and fending off the creature of Gnoorsitchcthh, I had AT LAST come face to face with the MASTER...

and HE told me... where I could go and buy this trick deck!!

Enjoy a chuckle with 'em. Take a bow. Have fun!! And most of all, make sure THEY have fun!

Jul 13, 2009
Congrats on getting on tv, that is really all I can say without sounding like a broken record.

May 9, 2008
I like pearce's idea the best! That draws them in even further.

BUT.... it's not the end of the world what he did. So what if he draws people to the site? Anyone who looks it up online and buys the trick must have a real interest in magic. More people drawn to the art, more creativity, more effects for us to perform down the road.

Congrats on getting on TV.

You guys are missing the point here. Lets congratulate him for getting on TV, and getting a good enough reaction from his performances, to be asked about where to learn it.

Him mentioning this site wont spoil magic, it can only make it better.......

All the tricks are for sale, so only people truly motivated will buy and learn them....... and then we have gained another performer/creator under our belt.

Most of us on this site started off on Ellusionist, or at a library, so who are you to say that we cant offer this site, and the above alternatives as a way to get where we are.

It seems some people on these forums look to argue on every thread to prove they are better than everyone else in magic...... and its sadly, not the case!

WELL DONE on getting on TV, and having the balls to perform :D

Cheers,

Geraint

So true many people on here do argue over every thing like lil girls. Magic is not going to be ruined because of what he did. The masked magician has done more than him and magic is still rolling.

Congrats on being on t.v. man you have done something that many people on here has not.
-T.J.

Nov 8, 2007
Congrats on putting yourself out there and doing some busking and getting on TV. Keep up the good work.

Sep 1, 2007
Just wanted to inform you that you have no right to perform Indecent on television. At 38:33 on the dvd it states:

"Televison performance rights are being held by Wayne Houchin."

Which means you don't have the right to perform it on tv!

May 31, 2008
Just wanted to inform you that you have no right to perform Indecent on television. At 38:33 on the dvd it states:

"Televison performance rights are being held by Wayne Houchin."

Which means you don't have the right to perform it on tv!

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that...ooooooooo...somebody's in trouble!

I don't think Wayne would really care though. He holds television performance rights on Sinful, that was revealed on TV, and he barely cared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that...ooooooooo...somebody's in trouble!

I don't think Wayne would really care though. He holds television performance rights on Sinful, that was revealed on TV, and he barely cared.

This may be true. However, I feel that he should have been more respectful. I mean, Wayne was generous enough to share Indecent with the magic community. All he asked is for us not to perform it on tv.

Surely a forum where we bash people for performing ( when this is what the art for is all about ) ... cant talk about respect for Wayne.
I'm not saying this as a personal dig to anyone.....
but if he bought W:H's dvd, he has the right to perform it on the street to spectators, as that is what Wayne would want....
He doesn't bring out a DVD to show off, he brings it out to show us what is possible, and inspire us.

If he bought the DVD, he has the right to perform the trick, and that is more respect to Wayne than anything else....... it's not his fault that a TV camera happened to be going past.
Perhaps that request on the DVD is aimed more at paid, or pre-organized performances at least ?

Lets not find ways to catch each other out, lets find ways to help each other out.

cheers,
G.

Jan 13, 2008
it's not his fault that a TV camera happened to be going past.
Not that I care either way, but he was approached before he performed the effect. As in, he knew a camera was there. It wasn't like Candid Camera or anything like that. :rolleyes:

Besides, it's a common courtesy to not perform other peoples effects for television--the same as it's common courtesy to not reveal tricks. Those aren't laws, of course, but rather mores within our magic community.

Lets not find ways to catch each other out, lets find ways to help each other out.
Right back at ya. :rolleyes:

Oh, and to the OP: Congrats on getting on TV. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay villagers, lets put the pitch forks and torches away now. I don't think we need to burn anyone at the stake tonight.

I think we are all missing a really huge, big, and glaringly obvious point here. One of our own made it onto television and shared his talent and our world with the rest of the normal marks. We should be patting him on the back, not driving stakes through his heart. Good job kid. Keep it up.

As for citing Wayne in his performance isn't it obvious he was trying to do the right thing and give proper credit where it is due? He's not trying be all like "Oh look at me, I invented this." No. He presented an effect, and cited it's creator.

Was it wrong to give the actual name of the effect? Meh. It's a moot point. It's certainly no more offensive than half of you who post here's own personal performance videos. So go ahead, Let he who hath no sin cast the first stone.

I'm glad he cited Theory11 as a place to go and learn about getting into magic. With some of the forum contributors we have here such as Sinful, Steerpike, and others there's a really good chance any noobs that do come here because of his performance will get pointed down some right roads instead of flailing around in the dark like so many of us did when we first started.

Lastly why don't you all just let Wayne decide for himself if this one little performance was really that offensive to his label. Quit being an arm chair lawyer. God only knows the world has enough lawyers as it is, it doesn't need you to add to the numbers.

I said it once, I'll say it again. Good job kid. Keep it up.

What's up everybody?! I go to this place in goldsboro NC every other thursday to busk a little bit, and I ran into a camera crew there who has a morning show. I talked to them , and i got on tv. I did two effects. The biddle trick, and Indecent. I made sure to mention that Indecent was from Wayne Houchin. The asked me where people can get started, and I proudly said "Theory 11" and Ellusionist. I just wanted to brag a little cuz I'm excited. Maybe I'll get some more birthday parties. Ok that's it, so...... love peace chicken grease!
first off All.....congrats...and yes i agree with everyone....i wouldn't have told those sources....everytime i am asked that question i just say....." i really practice a lot" and "i watch t.v.".....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results