I want to quit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

towtox

Banned
Sep 4, 2010
Calgary Ab
So iv been in card magic and i feel like quiting cause if i ask for opions on videos people are like your d lift sucks in real life it looks fine cause u can umm distract i forget what its called? and it like its a video its totally different in real lif do you agree?? cause its kinda pissed me off im not going to quit but it just makes me so mad

IM NOT WHIning im making a point i can take critizm that prativotss guy i can take his critizm but when people say stuff i missed that isnt true like you never showed the 3 of c im not trying to get attention OK?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
So iv been in card magic and i feel like quiting cause if i ask for opions on videos people are like your d lift sucks in real life it looks fine cause u can umm distract i forget what its called? and it like its a video its totally different in real lif do you agree?? cause its kinda pissed me off im not going to quit but it just makes me so mad

I know where you are coming from... There are too many critics out there who think they can do it better. It just comes with the game, one of those things that you have to learn is to filter out the bad, and go for the good.

Sorry that people upset you, oh and to give you heads up, someone else is probably about to post some hate on this thread. Just ignore it and tell yourself that that person just needs to grow up.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
ok... honestly it seems like your just looking for attention. You are constantly putting up one sentence threads and now because your actually receiving feedback on all your posts you are saying you want to quit. It REALLY seems like your just some kid that wants attention and wants a bunch of people to tell you how good and amazing you are and OMG, but thats just not gonna happen. If you cant handle the art with a little more maturity than maybe magic just isn't for you. And if your already thinking about quitting then your gonna find it really hard to get anywhere in this art because without perseverance and self-motivation you will die off rather quick. No one can do that for you, you can only get it from within... maybe you need to take a second step back and re-evaluate.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Okay, i know exactly how you feel. I used to tutor some kid at school, teaching him the basics of magic. So one day i was performing for a group and he happens to be there. And he was constantly criticizing my moves, invisible to laymen and obvious for magicians, constantly saying "this" was obvious, or i was not doing it quick enough. So what i decided to do is Ignore him because i know my true potential, i knew everything i was doing was good enough if not perfectly done. I don't take criticism unless they are followed by advice. People can easily say "this" was not properly done, but do they how it SHOULD be done, if so, why don't they share it .... ?

So my point is, you just have to believe in yourself, do your thing in confidence and ignore every negative comments people have to say about your magic UNLESS you feel they are right.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
towtox, misdirection is the word you're looking for.

To Slicke - With all due respect, I believe that ignoring all negative comments is irresponsible advice. We go to other people for advice in the hope that they see what we can't. We do this because we are rarely good at criticising ourselves fairly. Negative comments are not necessarily incorrect. They're just negative. This is why teachers mark out exams - as opposed to us marking ourselves. We don't always have the answers. I encourage you to view the thread posted below.

To everyone else - I'm one of the people who was criticising his double lift. For the context of this thread, please view either of the two videos in the two active battle threads at the moment (they're the same one), and see if you disagree with me.

The video is on this page: http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?29663-Royal-Road-Effect/page2

My detailed criticism is on this page: http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?29663-Royal-Road-Effect/page3

To towtox again, I'm sorry if the criticism upset you. It was intended to be constructive. I've just finished posting a more lengthy review of what you did wrong. I included ways in which you could improve. I also pointed out some things that you did right.

That said, I'm honest about my criticism. I try to criticise the trick, and not the magician, and I try not to unnecessarily use emotive language. Sometimes this comes across as harsh, sometimes it doesn't. "Your double lift need work" sounds bad - but it's a reflection on your double lift, and not on you. To be honest, everyone will get some pretty harsh criticism at some point. I've gotten some before. I felt terrible. But they were also right, and I improved.

With all due respect, never have I said that your double lift sucks. In fact, I tried very hard to use words like "needs improvement" rather than "horrible" "terrible" or "shocking". I don't know if I cut out those words entirely, but I made a point of not saying that. Word choice is the difference between constructive criticism and abuse.

I have also addressed in my criticism the issue of using a camera vs. real life performances. Yes, real life performances give you the benefit of misdirection. But I don't think it applies in this case, because your mistakes weren't tiny errors you needed a freeze frame to spot. They were glaring ones, when all the focus was on the deck, and you weren't trying to misdirect anyone.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm sorry, but seriously? This is a joke, right?

If your argument is "No, no, I swear, it works in real life"... Thats BS.

Yes, misdirection helps in real life. Yes, it can cover up little mistakes. Yes, its very important to learn.

HOWEVER.

You need to know that just because its sleight of hand, that DOESNT mean its invisible. Just because its a double lift doesnt mean no one knows its a double lift. And as a person, not even just as a magician, you should be striving for perfection in everything you do. And if something you're doing is just "passable" and only with misdirection, I'm sorry, but thats a joke. Go and practice it more. Until your double looks like your single, and vice versa, you need to work on it more.

If you really think your sleight of hand will never get noticed by laymen, how sadly mistaken you are. Bad sleight of hand is bad sleight of hand, on camera or off it. And sure, I probably sound like a d*uche for writing all of this, but the fact of the matter is that constructive criticism might not be easy to take, but it's important to take it. Without someone telling you you suck, youll never get better. You'll never push yourself further. Without anyone to point out the flaws, you dont know they exist.

Take off your dress and stop your whining. [\quote]
+1

Cheers,
Lucas

Dec 26, 2009
I too was one of the people in the Battle thread that was giving criticism to towtox. I gave my honest opinion. I said nothing hurtful. I said nothing rude. I told the truth. 99% of his performance needs broken down, practiced heavily and re-worked to be made into a stronger, better performed effect.

I was the one that missed that a card was shown but said that it wasn't. I fixed my original post stating that the effect was performed wrong. I also apologized for wrongly stating that the effect was not performed correctly. Why is this still an issue?

If you can't take more experienced magicians pointing out the things you need to work on, then you need not post videos for the entire forum to see.

As praetoritevong said, "I try to criticise the trick, and not the magician" I was criticizing the performance on the video. Towtox is the one that made things personal. If you do not believe me check posts #21, #22, and #23 (Links have been edited by towtox. Original posts reposted here http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?29759-I-want-to-quit!&p=332066#post332066) Praetoritevong and myself were the ones acting as an adult should in this situation.

Apr 1, 2009
California
look, if you're going to quit, youre not cut out to play the game. Yes, people are rude. But often times your best teachers are your worst critics. They will be nasty. They will make you feel like jumping off a bridge. Even if their criticism is so far from the truth. It is those people who make you go "Okay, my double lift. I will make my double lift a strength." And you go and practice your double lift until you have the cleanest most beautiful double lift on this planet. same with any other move you get criticized on. even if they're wrong about it. Extra practice never hurt anyone. Eric Jones said it pretty well when asked what advice he has on improving. "Flash". It's not until you flash that you know where you need improvements. Set up a camera. Record yourself, even if it's the web cam. Watch it over. criticize yourself. Burn your hands. Make sure you have a pleasant look on your face. Darwin Ortiz mentions something important in Strong Magic as well. Someone calling you out for flashing isn't a hecklar. They're doing you a favor. as rude as they might be. It's unfortunate that people are immature. Especially when they have a screen masking their face. But in reality, we all started at 0. It's up to you to put in the work, time, and determination to get to 100. Keep your head up. You are in control of your own destiny.

Dec 26, 2009
No one was rude to towtox (I am starting to get upset about this thread). Start here and read before you post. http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?29663-Royal-Road-Effect/page2 You are only getting his side of the story. No one was immature except towtox. No one was rude except towtox. By putting up a video you are inviting criticism, good or bad. We criticized honestly and he didn't like it. Now he is trying to make others look bad.

And to prove immaturity on towtoxs part even more his posts #21 22 and 23 were him cussing me out for giving him advice that he did not like. He has edited them all to say "thanks great advice" because he knows he was in the wrong and he wants people to think myself and praetoritevong are the bad guys when he was the immature one.

These were his original posts before being edited after I called him out for it.

post #21
ok one thing the reason i put the card to the top is the reversal u d lift to reverse(DUMBA$$) and also i riffled through and said stop so ur card i stoped at was the 3 c
and yes i did show it at the start i riffle U DUMB ASS look at the video and then you see then re do your review when you are not drunk herE!

post #22
Oh also its a f**king camera not a human eye there is no misdirection for a camera so stop being a ***** about it in real life its an amazing trick i get what the **** alot when i preform it i have done it over 30+ times so stfu
my d lift is fine in real life u have to pay attention in real life its a different experience so stfu u dont know anything its a camera i say again not real life so get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #23
Oh also i dont learn magic off of youtube just a ****en spin so stfu

Point proven.

Aug 17, 2010
Towtox

If harsh criticism is intolerable, maybe the performing arts aren't for you. After all, there's going to be a day when a loudmouth REALLY gives it to you in person - it happens to us all, and you just have to be big enough not to let it get to you. Or get a new hobby, as I can guarantee that one day or another, someone will try to ruin your tricks, spoil endings, grab your props, or do something even worse than say "your DL sucks."

As someone who's been into it for what, ten months now, you're doing fine. Nobody started at a high level, and putting in the time to master your craft is part of paying your dues. Yes, you have work to do on your technique, but that shouldn't stop you. We all went through this.

edit - just saw shindrics' post; you've got to be more mature. Otherwise, you'll just be ignored and the experience and knowledge here will be lost to you.

towtox

Banned
Sep 4, 2010
Calgary Ab
hey also i said sorry to the guy after i cussed ok? and my new vid will be up with me doing sleight that look better ok!

Apr 1, 2009
California
No one was rude to towtox (I am starting to get upset about this thread). Start here and read before you post. http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?29663-Royal-Road-Effect/page2 You are only getting his side of the story. No one was immature except towtox. No one was rude except towtox. By putting up a video you are inviting criticism, good or bad. We criticized honestly and he didn't like it. Now he is trying to make others look bad.

And to prove immaturity on towtoxs part even more his posts #21 22 and 23 were him cussing me out for giving him advice that he did not like. He has edited them all to say "thanks great advice" because he knows he was in the wrong and he wants people to think myself and praetoritevong are the bad guys when he was the immature one.

These were his original posts before being edited after I called him out for it.

post #21

post #22

post #23

Point proven.

I would rather not be criticized on my advice. I wasn't taking anyone's side. I don't believe in that. I believe in my views on the matter and I'm sticking to it. I'm not calling anyone out as you just did. I'm simply stating there's way too much immaturity in this right now. Not just these threads or the parties involved. Immaturity by those criticizing and those recieving it. Life is too short to be hurting one another. Maybe one party can handle internet criticism well, but another might be devestatingly hurt by it. And we don't want people scared to turn on their computers. This is supposed to be a charitable art, yet behind the curtain, all the artists seem to have knives stuck in their backs. I'm not trying to back any side up in particular. I just didn't want to leave someone behind and let them quit on something I know they love, just because someone is bringing them down. and I do believe I stated in my original message the importance of RECIEVING criticism well.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
ok ur right im doing a vid with my sleight watch its 200X better i will post link when its up!

200x better when you just got advice from it? I don't think so.

I know to you I am going to sound a bit rude here, but you need to realize that your double lift is horrible and that you need to work on it some more. Bottom line. It took you multiple seconds to get a break under the card, and then you turn it over completely different than how you would with your single lift. Your single lift is flourishy. A lot of magicians spend their time making their doubles look like singles. The truth is...

Make your singles look like your doubles.

If you turn your double over that way, that's how you should turn over one card. I highly doubt by a few hours your double looks 200x better. It probably looks just the same as it did before.

Perfecting a double lift to make it look completely natural will take years. If you don't have the patience to wait that long to get better, you might as well not continue with magic. Magic takes patience, time, and understanding to make the most of it. Either rise above it, or fall beneath it.

If quitting is what you want, then quit. No one here can make that decision but you. We can TRY to help you, but it's you in the end who will make the final decision for yourself.

Quit, or don't quit. It is up to you and what you believe in doing.

-Casey

Dec 26, 2009
I apologize Asher. I re-read what I had written and realized how it sounds. I was not meaning to critisize your advice to towtox (put yourself in my shoes and see how you would feel about this entire thread). I only wanted all sides of the story to be put into this thread. I was giving honest feedback on the video I watched. I took time out of my day to type out what I thought needed work done to it and I got called a D-A multiple times, got called a drunk, was called a female dog, and was told multiple times to "STFU".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results