Is Failure with this trick an option?

I'm kind of curious do any of you know of anyone who's been hurt seriously from the trick where you pound a nail into your head through your nose? I've done it before:
(Here's me doing it with a pen and screwdriver instead of a nail and hammer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMkc47A4UYY&feature=channel_video_title
but one time I went too far and my nose started bleeding everywhere and wouldn't stop... So anyways I'm just wondering how dangerous this trick actually is...

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
haha, yes but I've semi-failed before and still survived, only a ton of blood everywhere... so I guess I'm still wondering how dangerous this actually is.

Your nasal cavity leads to your brain, so if you miss and go too far, you can kill yourself by stabbing your brain. That is why I am a wimp and will never attempt this. :p

I'm kind of curious do any of you know of anyone who's been hurt seriously from the trick where you pound a nail into your head through your nose? I've done it before:
(Here's me doing it with a pen and screwdriver instead of a nail and hammer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMkc47A4UYY&feature=channel_video_title
but one time I went too far and my nose started bleeding everywhere and wouldn't stop... So anyways I'm just wondering how dangerous this trick actually is...

Okay, stop right there. You're showing an incredible amount of poor judgment by attempting something like the blockhead without PROPER training by a PROFESSIONAL who has performed this STUNT safely numerous times before. For that I rebuke you.

Second of all, it's not a trick. A trick is what you do with cards. There is nothing "tricky" about the blockhead, it's a stunt.

Last of all, yes you can seriously hurt yourself. One good staff infection later, from improper care of your props, and I promise you will be hating life. Blockhead is a lot more involved than just driving a spike into your skull. It's the care of the props, before, during, and after that's just as if not more important than the technique.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Actually Johnny Meah, one of the legends of the side show world, did do some serious damage to his sinus cavity doing Block Head... he also learned to never snort a line of coke just prior to going on stage and doing that particular act.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
It is no trick at all and is perfectly real. I have a friend that performs it with a 6 inch nail spike. Draven is correct in that every precaution needs to be taken to properly handle the prop and cleanliness is imperative.

Would I do it? No...because I am wimp when it comes to things like that as well. I'd rather cringe and watch someone else do it.

Okay, stop right there. You're showing an incredible amount of poor judgment by attempting something like the blockhead without PROPER training by a PROFESSIONAL who has performed this STUNT safely numerous times before. For that I rebuke you.

Second of all, it's not a trick. A trick is what you do with cards. There is nothing "tricky" about the blockhead, it's a stunt.

Last of all, yes you can seriously hurt yourself. One good staff infection later, from improper care of your props, and I promise you will be hating life. Blockhead is a lot more involved than just driving a spike into your skull. It's the care of the props, before, during, and after that's just as if not more important than the technique.

Okay, so um I don't think I'm going to stop performing the stunt. I've done it hundreds of times now and I know just how far I can go before hurting myself. Also I always clean my props(not sure if I do it right, but I'll talk about that in a minute). Actually I've never used a nail because I know they rust easy and I don't want to deal with that so that's why I do it with a pen instead. However, I was wondering if there were any cleaning techniques you would be willing to share with me because I've heard about you and know you're a professional in this area. Generally, all I do right now to clean it is to wash it off with soap and water let it dry and store it back in the container which I also washed with soap and water.

Sep 11, 2010
Okay, so um I don't think I'm going to stop performing the stunt. I've done it hundreds of times now and I know just how far I can go before hurting myself. Also I always clean my props(not sure if I do it right, but I'll talk about that in a minute). Actually I've never used a nail because I know they rust easy and I don't want to deal with that so that's why I do it with a pen instead. However, I was wondering if there were any cleaning techniques you would be willing to share with me because I've heard about you and know you're a professional in this area. Generally, all I do right now to clean it is to wash it off with soap and water let it dry and store it back in the container which I also washed with soap and water.

Suit yourself. If you feel that you can do it well enough without any precaution, I'm not going to stop you. But when you get yourself into a coma, don't blame us when we warned you against it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2009
California

I %100 agree with draven There is alot more that goes into this then just putting a nail, pen or any other object
up your nose, yes i do perform this but i did spend one afternoon with a profesional and learn the proper way to
do it as well as how to clean a care for your props the right way. if you are doing it and have questions about
it then you should not be doing it at all.

Is there anyone in Colorado that could maybe teach me then? Like I know the technique to doing the stunt... but not so much the cleaning the props part. @Draven I know I have the technique for the stunt part right though. You're right and I shouldn't be performing this stunt because I don't know what to do to clean it properly, but if someone could teach me how to clean it that'd be great. I'm really sorry if I sounded like I'm rebuking anyone's advice... but I've done it so many times without getting hurt that it's hard for me to put the stunt away.

scrub your perfomance nails with a solution of isobrobalyne alcohol (rubbing 90 poof) and steel wool. You only need to do this once per nail that you perform with to clean it. Prior and post each peformance clean the nail with an alcohol pep pad or cotton balls and rubbing alcohol.

scrub your perfomance nails with a solution of isobrobalyne alcohol (rubbing 90 poof) and steel wool. You only need to do this once pe nal that you perform with to clean t. Pror and post each peformance clean the nail with an alcohol pep pad or cotton balls and rubbing alcohol.

Okay thank you so much. I also appreciate the concern you guys have for me performing it. Thank you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results