Names

Sep 1, 2007
Look at any products, cereal, cars, soda, anything, its gonna be one word because thats how marketing works.

Cereal was a bad example.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Count Chocula
Boo Berry
Lucky Charms
Waffle Crisp

And those are just ones I like.

And in sodas you can find examples as well.

Mountain Dew
Vanilla Coke
Crystal Pepsi (and you can't tell me that failed because of the name)

Having one word is usually the easiest route to something catchy, but it's not the only one. Besides, if one word was the ultimate way to market an effect, it makes you wonder why so many multi-syllabic products still sell consistently well today or how they even managed to survive this long.

Dec 30, 2008
Almost all of those have adjectives in front of them, wich describes the product, but I understand what your saying. There is more than one way to do things. lol. :D

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
ok you have some examples there steerpike. but even in those its still keeping it simple, only two words. my point is not to overcomplicate, make it memorable and simple and one word, more often than not, does the job.

oh and

cereal
life
cheerios
Trix
Kix
Chex
Total
Wheaties
although i will admit cereal wasn't the best
soda
pepsi
sprite
crush
coke
sunkist
7up
Jolt
Squirt
MUG
Tab
Slice
Barq's
Schweppes

and how dare you refer to crystal pepsi as a soda. that stuff is disgusting ;)

Sep 1, 2007
ok you have some examples there steerpike. but even in those its still keeping it simple, only two words. my point is not to overcomplicate, make it memorable and simple and one word, more often than not, does the job.

Just making a point. It's possible to have a good brand without resorting to monosyllabic mother****ery.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Cereal was a bad example.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Count Chocula
Boo Berry
Lucky Charms
Waffle Crisp

And those are just ones I like.

And in sodas you can find examples as well.

Mountain Dew
Vanilla Coke
Crystal Pepsi (and you can't tell me that failed because of the name)

Having one word is usually the easiest route to something catchy, but it's not the only one. Besides, if one word was the ultimate way to market an effect, it makes you wonder why so many multi-syllabic products still sell consistently well today or how they even managed to survive this long.

I got the perfect name..
Fear before the march of flames

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Just making a point. It's possible to have a good brand without resorting to monosyllabic mother****ery.

and i agree with you. But keeping it catchy is the key. if you can make it more than one and still captivating than great. however one word has a unique ability in our society to make a statement and be intriguing, and if all else fails just add the word PRIME to any name you make. It worked for Optimus.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
WHY WHY WHY must these all be "kewl" names? There's no such thing as magician "street cred"!

"Hi, I'm Barry B. Bostwick, creator of Toxic, Deranged, Bonez, and Darkness... so, as you can see, even though I tuck my shirt in every day and have touched my cards more than I've touched another human being, these names definitely mean I'm automatically gangsta."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results