The Pass

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Are you going to be super cereal RD?

If you do the pass over and over again to accomplish different things you will surely be caught. You have to have more then one sleight whether it be a completely different pass/control/shift. If you kept doing the pass you will be caught eventually and once they catch the pass I assure you the specs will burn your hands clean off. Just speaking from personal experience of course it may be different for others but I really don't care because I am being incredibly selfish now.

One thing that bugs me the most is when the pass is used as a color change you want to know why? The pass is supposed to be invisible like a thumb tip. You draw attention to it everyone will notice it, that essentially is what you are doing when using it as a color change.

Truly you have to have more then a good pass in your arsenal in order to get out of sticky situations.

This is just my opinion from personal experience, it may not apply to everyone.

I agree completely, my point with listing all it's uses was because Randy said that it was better to learn a ton of different sleights rather than perfecting one sleight.

You know how much I love passes silver. I actually practice the pass daily and it's variants as a mere hobby, but under performance of course I try to variate the way in wich i do things.

It all depends the context in wich you are presenting the pass, Laymen don't know the mechanics of the pass, so you could either present the pass as a color change and then use the pass as a control (but under a total diffrent context) and the laymen will not know how you did it.

But then again, the risk of getting caught is really high, so yeah I agree, having other options available is definetly the way to go :).

Jul 13, 2009
Aww I got ya, I thought you were pulling a steertrap or something like that. Thumbs up, see ya around and goodluck with the gig.

Why did you spend so much time on one move? I mean it is incredibly smooth, but when you are in the real world with distractions and proper attention management, the pass can be as slow as a turtle and you will still get away with it.

You seem to have a varied mix of classic passes and variations of it so I guess you are good in the department of controlling a card to the top/bottom, but I am curious onto what you are going to use this move in other then an ACR.

I am not knocking your hard work I just don't see the point in putting so much work into one move, it just seems to me the ones who do this are just trying to impress other magicians which is bad and good at the same time.

These are in no way meant to belittle the OP so don't even try slapping me in the face by saying this is a bashing. (I slap back)

I'm not going to say you are wrong because your not. I practice the pass more as a habit now. Whenever I have a deck of cards in my hand I do it. Its come to the point to where if i have a deck and I am not doing anything I just do the pass and not even notice I'm doing it. I put so much time into the pass on accident I guess. HAHA Anyways thanks for the compliment. I just wanted to see what people thought of my pass.

You're better off working on other moves that can accomplish the same thing with less effort. Sure the pass is great if you like it when people burn your hands, but the majority of people out there won't do that unless you are an extremely boring person. Which I can tell that you probably are, for spending all your time trying to master one move.

Like I told the other guy. Its not that I practice on purpose. When I have time to practice I practice things like the clipshift or the DL or things that will help me out in a real performance. I just practice the pass when I have something on my mind and I don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a trick. I do get bored sir. Oh, and please don't call a complete stranger BORING if you have no evidence to back it up. You don't even know me :)

Thanks,
Justin

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Yeah your Classic pass is fast and pretty decent.

BUT.

Why go for all that speed? Your pass is flashing ALLOT. You can clearly see it on that bad cam video (Which hides some of the flashing) but still you can see it. If someone were looking at the deck while you did your pass they would clearly see that you did something.

A pass can be TOTALLY invissible even when someone is burning your hands, but then it has to be really smooth and its not all about speed. You can do a pass that takes 5 - 10 seconds that is super smooth and it will be more invissible then yours.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I hate those people here who say he should perfect his pass as much as possible and preach about endless practice as to not half ass their magic,but they half ass their performances.
Most of them are boring as sin and have no clear personality.
They think their perfect sleights are enough to coast through a performance and pass off as magic.

Jul 13, 2009
Anyway, Justin you have a very good pass and I am sure it will only get better as you idely play with your deck, (guilty of doing that aswell). You are always going to flash in a pass on camera because the camera is unblinking and can't be guided like the human eye can. I am sure you know how to get peoples focus away from your hands by using body language and eye contact.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks Everyone. I know I flash and I am still figuring out the right position to make it not flash. I'm not really worried about it though because I haven't been caught doing the pass yet. As for speed, I don't really MEAN to go that fast, they just do it because of habit. I see my friend do his pass very slow sometimes but, like you should all do, he does it under misdirection.

Thanks for the feed back,
Justin Way

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results