Time spent practicing?

Sep 1, 2007
The answers in this thread make it abundantly clear to me why manipulation artistry has yet to catch on in the entertainment industry.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
If you can find 6 hours in the day to practice, that means you're not performing.

In a way I agree with Steerpike here.

Speaking about cardistry specifically as it's known in this community, it differs from magic in the way that generally it is not performed on its own to spectators.

When was the last time you went out and performed flourishes to spectators? And flourishes on their own - not accompanying your magic.

Therefore, my point is that you aren't practising by performing. Because (I hope), no-one really flourishes in the place of doing magic.

I'm not talking about card manipulation in the ways that Jeff McBride / Dan Sperry, etc. would do it. That's separate. I mean cardistry.

I can promise that post probably made no sense.

-Sam H

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Just like Mattgic and MaXim, I don't practise per se, so it's very hard to put a time schedule on it. But I have cards in my reach form the moment I wake up to the moment I start sleeping.

So I just don't think about it anymore. ITs gotten to a point where I am comfortable with the deck in hand, flourishing without looking, any thing really. Its a bit like a second nature to me.

My advice?

Ignore your question, and the hundreds of answers bound to come. Just keep a deck of cards in your hands and live life with it at your side.

Like Steerpike and Sam have (tried :p) to say, Its not about putting a time schedule on it. Live life. Try to have a deck in hand for as much confortable time as possible, in the bus, the train - anywhere. When you go perform, perform!

Then go back, sit there, absorb advice - and keep practisin'

Gustav

Sep 22, 2007
I seriously doubt that anybody here was thinking that.

They practice constantly because they haven't performed for anything outside of a webcam since day one.

care to back up your statement?

You clearly have NO idea what you're talking about

I seriously doubt that anybody here was thinking that.

They practice constantly because they haven't performed for anything outside of a webcam since day one.

Why practice if you're not going to perform?
It makes sense for cardistry, but why practice magic if you're not going to perform?
That's just a waste of time and money.

Note, I'm not arguing with you, just asking some questions to back up your statement

Sep 1, 2007
I perform on a daily basis - Thanks for trying.
would you like to see footage..?

I love it when people take generalizations personally.

care to back up your statement?

You clearly have NO idea what you're talking about

Why bother asking me such a question if you're just going to dismiss me immediately afterward?

Note, I'm not arguing with you, just asking some questions to back up your statement

Meaning there's at least one person here who knows what I'm getting at. Or at least has an idea of what I'm getting at.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Take it personally? Hardly - I don't care what you think as you seem to be quite the ass 9/10. You don't affect my life or how I live it and you never will, I'm simply stating that you shouldn't generalize when it's clearly wrong.

Sep 1, 2007
Take it personally? Hardly - I don't care what you think

And yet... here you are.

as you seem to be quite the ass 9/10.

Let's mind our language, shall we? I haven't made any personal attacks because I'm not interested in fighting. But if you would like to start... well, it's out of my hands what happens from there.

I'm simply stating that you shouldn't generalize when it's clearly wrong.

I've not seen evidence to prove me wrong. This is the internet. A person's word isn't good enough. So until I see recorded performances and photocopied invoices from past performances, I'm afraid I'm going to remain incredulous.

(sigh) Someone who doesn't automatically believe that people on the internet are always telling the truth about their accomplishments. What is this world coming to?

Sep 1, 2007
Edited. Clearly because I see no point to say anything more to you Steerpike.

If you acknowledge that you have nothing to prove, then that's probably the smartest thing you've said to me yet.

Understand that was a compliment.

I don't want to argue.

You opened your mouth. Yes you do.

all im going to say is..
break these barriers yourself =)

Shifting the burden of proof doesn't help anyone or anything. It actually hurts your case by making you look foolish.

You said you can produce video proof that I'm dead wrong. At least, about you. If you want to produce it, go right ahead. I won't stop you.

If you don't want to produce it, then try saying something of value.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results