You are not an artist!

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
With that being said you have absolutely no power to say or even imply to the tenth degree who is and is not an artist you did not ask a question you forcefully stated your opinion and no matter who disagrees with you and is right you say they are wrong.
-Michael

I believe he just does not acknowledge the people he agrees with because he has no need to.

Sep 1, 2007
Nobody is going to copy the Masked Magician because no one is going to hire a guy who shows up for a paid gig wearing a mask like he is either going to rob them or body slam them onto a steel chair.

I would! (emphasis mine) But I listen to metal and have headbanging contests with friends, so take that for what it is.

My only question for you Steerpike, is why do you care? What difference does it make if someone calls themself an artist?

Does it matter?

You said that, "You're not someone that bends someones reality, you're just someone do tricks" I think you're missing the point. And you might be presenting yourself wrong, or maybe you have seen some people that present themself wrong.

I said that because with some people, there's just no point to miss.

Haha
you know what i mean.
Dont ask stupid questions.

No, I don't actually. If I'm reading you wrong, please tell me because that question was serious.

Nov 30, 2007
Just my own opinion of myself. I've done artistic things. But there's much more for me to do. And I gotta say, it's a very exciting time to be a budding young artist.

I basically agree with you that many people are at different stages in the magic "artist" field. Some are minor artists while others are exceptional artists.

Sep 1, 2007
Did anyone read my really long post on page 14? (Tear Tear):(
...I thought it was decent

I read it. You obviously have a certain intelligence a lot of others are lacking, and I appreciate that this is a subject that you've given a lot of thought. Initially, there are somethings I disagree with, but I'm mulling it over because you put enough effort and thought into that that it's worth more than just another one-liner.

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think this thread has gone from a creative discussion to a thread full of people trying to find a weak point in Steerpike's argumentative skills.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Give yourself a star.

People show their true selves when confronting an enemy.

Where did I say that?

In the words of Ronald Reagan "Ahhh shut up"

You are showing your true colors Steerpike and its not pretty. You only pick out certain points in posts ones that you can comment back to. This is why T11 should have an ostracism system like they did in ancient Athens. I will no longer try and prove you wrong because that has already been done many times. So I will take my own advice 'Never argue with someone beneath you for instead of brining them up to your level they will bring you down to theirs.' Quit while you are ahead Steerpike see you next year.

-Michael

Nov 30, 2007
I read it. You obviously have a certain intelligence a lot of others are lacking, and I appreciate that this is a subject that you've given a lot of thought. Initially, there are somethings I disagree with, but I'm mulling it over because you put enough effort and thought into that that it's worth more than just another one-liner.

Ha ha thank you for reading it. I would love to hear what you disagree with considering you as well put out great ideas and thoughts. Basically I want you to disagree with me because I am still thinking this whole thing through and would love to hear other ideas! I love debates!

Last edited by a moderator:
Steerpike,

WOuld you consider someone who has been in musical theatre (sing, dance, act) 11 years, a juggler for 2 years, magician for 10 years, and still activly performing in one or all of these categories an artist of performance?

If you do then, yes I would consider myself an artist.

Ps,
I do agree with many of your points.

Sep 1, 2007
I think this thread has gone from a creative discussion to a thread full of people trying to find a weak point in Steerpike's argumentative skills.

How's that different from any other time?

You are showing your true colors Steerpike and its not pretty.

I think we've all known about my black and twisted soul for some time now.

You only pick out certain points in posts ones that you can comment back to.

Why should I respond to something that I have nothing about which to say? If I did that, I'd be some insipid me-too-er on AOL.

This is why T11 should have an ostracism system like they did in ancient Athens.

Ostracism only applied to elected officials. I'm not an elected official. I'm just a random schmuck who blew some sand up your dress.

D

Deleted member 2755

It seems this thread is

Steerpike V.S. The Theory 11 Forum

Am I the only one who is agreeing with Steerpike here?:p

-Doug

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Give yourself a star.

People show their true selves when confronting an enemy.

Where did I say that?

In the words of Ronald Reagan "Ahhh shut up"

You are showing your true colors Steerpike and its not pretty. You only pick out certain points in posts ones that you can comment back to. This is why T11 should have an ostracism system like they did in ancient Athens. I will no longer try and prove you wrong because that has already been done many times. Quit while you are ahead see you next year.

-Michael

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Does it matter?

..wait..
I think...
Ok..No it doesnt matter.Whether we call ourselves artists or not it doesnt matter because no one gives a rats ass.
Certainly not our audience.
And we are not going to go around like criss angel calling it "my art" while performing are we?
Its just a label..if we know we are artist we shouldnt have to concern ourselves with calling ourselves it.Like i said before this post.

ts just a label.

Nov 30, 2007
Steerpike,

WOuld you consider someone who has been in musical theatre (sing, dance, act) 11 years, a juggler for 2 years, magician for 10 years, and still activly performing in one or all of these categories an artist of performance?

If you do then, yes I would consider myself an artist.

Ps,
I do agree with many of your points.

I see what you are saying but time also doesn't really define if you are an artist or not. Someone could say they were into magic 25 years but not be as dedicated to it as someone that has been into magic for 5 years. Most likely more experience and time will mean more dedication and more reason why you are an artist but I just kind of wanted to toss that out there.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
So to restate my point, you are not an artist just because you do card tricks and flourishes. Your god-awful presentation of Stigmata does not make you dark and complex, it makes you a wanker who does another card trick. You don't bend people's realities, you talk them into submission (or stare them into submission if you're one of the types too busy ripping off David Blaine and Daniel Madison to bother having an original thought in your head).

You are not an artist. You are a chimp wearing a diaper or a bear on a motorcycle, a spectacle that gets a reaction out of people from sheer absurdity.

I don't think many people are going to have entertaining presentations with much of anything unless they know something about the subject. Stigmata is pretty hard to convince your friends that you have powers, because they know you don't.

As for people being circus animals. That's pretty much in correct because I doubt anybody here will perform instantly just because somebody said to do so.

As for them mimicking David Blaine or Daniel Madison.. Well that's just what most young kids do when they start magic. You can't tell me that you didn't mimic your favorite bands gestures and styles when you were starting out with music. Most people don't find themselves till later on in life. The best way to do that is go out and perform, find the best influences and then use your favorite aspects of them as you go on. Use your knowledge of whatever presentational style you wand and then simply mold yourself into that persona over the years. With experience.

Sep 1, 2007
Ha ha thank you for reading it. I would love to hear what you disagree with considering you as well put out great ideas and thoughts. Basically I want you to disagree with me because I am still thinking this whole thing through and would love to hear other ideas! I love debates!

At the moment, the only thing I really take any issue with is the impression that you only explore the idea of giving joy. I'm not saying that isn't a valid way to go, just that there are other avenues.

Also, Warhol's quote is one I take with a grain of salt, like most of the things he said over his career. Like Marcel DuChamp, Andy was notorious for his off-kilter quotations used to avoid having to be on the nose about his art.

That depends. What are you trying to accomplish?

Sep 1, 2007
This is very out of character for me but what the heck, I'm going to throw my hat into the ring. Let me say to being with that I've not managed to read the whole topic but from the looks of things on the last page, nothing much has happened in the last few pages.

There's several fundamental problems with debates like this one right here. One of those problems has to do with definition - without a universally agreed definition of what constitutes an "artist" you're always going to end up going round in circles. Of course this is a big problem, because everyone seems to believe that their own personal definition of "artist" is the most valid, whether its supported by a dictionary definition or by their own experience and self perception.

I would hope to find some support for the notion that art is a subjective experience - put another way art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Someone, somewhere will see art in ANYTHING - which may explain the proliferation of strange, giant bits of metalwork pervading the urban landscape. Art is in some ways defined by its audience and so is by extension independant of what the "artist" thinks about it at all! If this is true then we have to judge "art" by its impact on ourselves or indeed on others. I am forced into admitting that paint splats on a piece of tree bark is art because enough other people see depth in it; I just see paint splats on tree bark.

Be patient, I have a point.

The simplest of tricks performed by the least "artistic" performers can illicit powerful reactions from a lay audience because of the nature of astonishment. When you're on the recieving end of such reactions its tempting to think "hey, I'm pretty good at this...I know stuff other people don't know...they're going crazy for this..." and when the question comes up "am I an artist?" its easy to justify putting a big fat tick in the yes column. And hey, in the eyes of that uninformed group of spectators, guess what? They ARE an "artist". But consider the equivalent standard in, for example, music - pretty much banging out a scale without hitting any bum notes. The same audience would almost certainly not consider that "art", or the unfortunate music student an "artist".

I don't believe magic can be measured by the same yardstick other performance arts are measured by, as the above example hopefully demonstrates. Possibly this is because magic is still pretty much a little-experienced artform for most people, so they have no basis for comparison. This would lead us to conclude that at this stage in its development, magic's "artists" have to be defined by the students of magic itself, who DO have a basis for comparison. So the question becomes how do magicians define "artistry"? There is of course creativity - coming up with original tricks, new sleights or concepts. Also, and equally valid in my opinion, is the performance of magic - handling an audience, entertaining them, executing tricks well, structuring an act. I would also be inclined to add that the above qualities must be executed CONSISTENTLY - no "one hit wonders".

I consider myself an artist, and here's why. I've performed professionally now for two years and consistently satisfied my audiences, being rebooked by the same companies several times. I create and perform my own material, some of which has recieved positive feedback from other professional, knowledgeable magicians who have themselves had work published, and enthusiastically received by the magic community. I am in the process of organising my first collection of magic which may eventually one day see publication. I take passion and pride in my work. The burden of proof falls of course to myself, but you'll have to wait a while before that materialises!

Cheers,
David.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Why should I respond to something that I have nothing about which to say? If I did that, I'd be some insipid me-too-er on AOL.

Ostracism only applied to elected officials. I'm not an elected official. I'm just a random schmuck who blew some sand up your dress.

1. You have nothing to say because you are wrong and can't smooth talk your way out of it.

2. Ostracism applied to anyone inside the city walls.

-Michael

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results