You are not an artist!

Nov 30, 2007
In response to my post if it wasn't very clear I feel that many of us are not exceptional artists. We all have a lot to work on but I feel if you are dedicated to your art you are an artist and should work to really become an exceptional artist and advance the art of magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 17, 2007
Canada
An artist is very loosely defined that it is why it is up to the individual person to remain in control of what he thinks of himself. What I am saying is that being an artist is a state of mind. Its just like calling yourself El Conquistador its means nothing but it makes you feel much better about your self and your flaws in magic or life.

-Michael

Dec 23, 2008
They both had a passion, for the construction; of something lighter, faster and sleeker, the endless nights awake in thought of the creation of something spectacular.

The point I tried to convey in my previous post was that it is not the art, but the passion for the art, that defines the artist. It is a state of mind, to be called an artist.

Some may see you as one, some may not, but at the end of the day, it's you youraself that have to be satisfied with the title you yourself appointed yourself with.

I was merely adding, a cardworker may be an artist, but there can still be an art to plainly exposing tricks. It's all done due to whatever reason/emotion/etc... the artist has for it.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Art doesn't speak for itself. The creator doesn't have to step right out and tell you what everything means. But he does have to speak for himself as a creator and he can't be afraid to put his work out there.

Then what should they be doing instead of cursing me out on a message board?

Ok but thats what you say.
What about the rest of my post.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
They should be performing, but it shouldn't be something that ends up being a chore. Magic is something that should be like finding a flower in a field or finding a four leaf clover and then sharing your excitement about said clover (according to Paul Harris.) You're not going to get excited about what you do if someone if belittling you. Yeah it's part of being any kind of entertainer. The thing about magic that it's different and yet the same is that some people don't WANT to entertain others with it. Maybe they like using it as a form of stress relief. Some people play guitar because it relaxes them when they've had a rough day. Not everybody wants to go out and wow the world or the be the next Mike Ammar.

As a friend of mine once said "You should only perform when you want to. You're not a wind up toy."

It's understandable to try and force people to change, but often times it has the opposite effect. The Masked Magician exposed effects because he thought he was doing the right thing, yet all he did was end up ruining his own career.

As for inventing tricks.. Not everybody has the creativity to do so. Which is perfectly fine as long as they evolve and maybe change the patter or personality to their own when they perform said effects. One also shouldn't take themselves too seriously at all. Look at guys like Bill Malone or Mike Ammar or Daryl. They all have fun doing what they do. I'm sure even Vernon himself didn't take what he did too seriously and just went along for the ride.

Sep 1, 2007
Its just like calling yourself El Conquistador its means nothing but it makes you feel much better about your self and your flaws in magic or life.

Tell you what. It's the first day of a new year. So rather than just report your post, I'm just going to let you know that you need to do a better job hiding your attacks. You've already seen how it undermines your attempts to gain the moral high ground.

Ok but thats what you say.

As opposed to what my doppelganger says?

What about the rest of my post.

What about it? I only had that one point to make.

I'm just curious steerpike, how long have you been performing?

Long enough.

You're not going to get excited about what you do if someone if belittling you.

But you will be the architect of your own destruction if you don't have people to put you in your place every now and again.

It's understandable to try and force people to change, but often times it has the opposite effect.

I prefer to think of it as a screening process.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
An artist is very loosely defined that it is why the individual person to remain in control of what he thinks of himself as so what I am saying is that being an artist is a state of mind. Its just like calling yourself El Conquistador its means nothing but it makes you feel much better about your self and your flaws in magic or life.

-Michael

Bam.

Being called an artist or not.Does it really matter.Its just a brand mostly nowadays more than a movement.Just like indie is more of a brand now than a movement by the mid 1990's.
If this is directed more towards the 'magicians' that sit in front of a camera doing the latest trick they bought its not helping them.
Because most of them wont read this far.Or care after reading your first sentences and seeing how long it is.
They are the type that call themselves artist and buy everything just so months later they throw it all away and move on to a different thing.
The people that stay and defend themselves are the artist.
Maybe not specifically the kind you think is an artist..but why should you be the judge of that? Who are you?
You say you are a minor artist.Since when does it have levels?
Alot of good magicians here have responded well enough.They give everything to their spectators.The people who we do this for the ones that really matter.
It doesnt matter how good the magicians patter was or presentation because that what we work on throughout all the years to better.If we still fool them,even for a second,we see something special.The look on their faces.
If thats not art.
Then to hell with art.

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
Anyone who has actually accepted a paying gig, knows completely what your talking about, which is why I agree. I'm not a big time magician, but only because I want to get some college under my belt before I go chasing dreams. So after my Psych major is up, I'll be trying to make it big with my magic.

Really, I'm curious to see why no one has copied the masked magician wearing a mask when they preform. Until I see anyone preform, I don't consider them magicians. I just consider them people that can do tricks.

So I completely agree, and am a little shocked that so many others agree with you.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Tell you what. It's the first day of a new year. So rather than just report your post, I'm just going to let you know that you need to do a better job hiding your attacks. You've already seen how it undermines your attempts to gain the moral high ground.

As opposed to what my doppelganger says?

What about it? I only had that one point to make.

Long enough.

But you will be the architect of your own destruction if you don't have people to put you in your place every now and again.

I prefer to think of it as a screening process.

The Phoenix will rise from it's own ashes.

No matter who you perform for, you will always have somebody to put you in your place. You just don't need people to do it for you. How did you learn to ride a bike? You learned from trial and error without your mom or dad saying "You'll never get anywhere.". No, you're mom or dad most likely encouraged you to do it without yelling and trying to put you in your place. Putting people in their place is fine as long as they deserve it and as it warranted.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada

See this is the difference between you and me, I don't hide behind authority. Nor am I afraid of it. Im not hiding an attack I am simply trying to put an end to the stupidity. This conversation is good, the method on which you delivered it not so much. It was meant to instigate a fight, and you know it. With that being said you have absolutely no power to say or even imply to the tenth degree who is and is not an artist you did not ask a question you forcefully stated your opinion and no matter who disagrees with you and is right you say they are wrong. So for once you take the moral high ground and admit your are wrong because you are.

-Michael

Sep 1, 2007
Ben Long enough...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Oh snap!

If this is directed more towards the 'magicians' that sit in front of a camera doing the latest trick they bought its not helping them.

Their minds aren't worth changing. No, this isn't for them.

The people that stay and defend themselves are the artist.

This isn't for them either.

You say you are a minor artist.Since when does it have levels?

Just my own opinion of myself. I've done artistic things. But there's much more for me to do. And I gotta say, it's a very exciting time to be a budding young artist.

If we still fool them,even for a second,we see something special.The look on their faces.
If thats not art.
Then to hell with art.

So it all boils down to fooling people, then?

So I completely agree, and am a little shocked that so many others agree with you.

There are some very intelligent people here. We just need to give them something to talk about.

The Phoenix will rise from it's own ashes.

How do you distinguish a phoenix from a parakeet?

Sep 1, 2007
See this is the difference between you and me, I don't hide behind authority. Nor am I afraid of it.

Give yourself a star.

Im not hiding an attack I am simply trying to put an end to the stupidity. This conversation is good, the method on which you delivered it not so much. It was meant to instigate a fight, and you know it.

People show their true selves when confronting an enemy.

no matter who disagrees with you and is right you say they are wrong.

Where did I say that?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Anyone who has actually accepted a paying gig, knows completely what your talking about, which is why I agree. I'm not a big time magician, but only because I want to get some college under my belt before I go chasing dreams. So after my Psych major is up, I'll be trying to make it big with my magic.

Really, I'm curious to see why no one has copied the masked magician wearing a mask when they preform. Until I see anyone preform, I don't consider them magicians. I just consider them people that can do tricks.

Nobody is going to copy the Masked Magician because no one is going to hire a guy who shows up for a paid gig wearing a mask like he is either going to rob them or body slam them onto a steel chair. The reason the Masked Magician wore a mask was because he didn't want other people knowing who he was, in fear of them beating him up or slashing his tires (which they did.). He's also an incredibly bland and lame showmen and has the talent of a rock.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
My only question for you Steerpike, is why do you care? What difference does it make if someone calls themself an artist?

I don't think art can be defined, art is something that is between yourself and to create an experience for your audience. You said that, "You're not someone that bends someones reality, you're just someone do tricks" I think you're missing the point. And you might be presenting yourself wrong, or maybe you have seen some people that present themself wrong. I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just trying to understand and maybe throw some points that you may or may not have considered.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Oh snap!

Their minds aren't worth changing. No, this isn't for them.

This isn't for them either.

Just my own opinion of myself. I've done artistic things. But there's much more for me to do. And I gotta say, it's a very exciting time to be a budding young artist.

So it all boils down to fooling people, then?

There are some very intelligent people here. We just need to give them something to talk about.

How do you distinguish a phoenix from a parakeet?

Haha
you know what i mean.
Dont ask stupid questions.

Also,all the time that ive been around here and other magic sites or even at a place full of magicians that are young and old.
They dont call themselves artist.I never hear or read someone actually calling themself an artist.And dont say anything about my name because ive already commented on it awhile back.
And once again you ignore the rest of my post.What of all the points I made in it?You just pull out a few sentences to correct me on but never state anything about the rest.But thats what you do with everyones post so whatever.
Im not going to get all bent out of shape anyway over an INTERNET forum.Everyone believes their own views on magic as an art is right.
This is just going around in circles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results