Who are you?

Dec 30, 2008
I wanted to ask everyone who they are when they perform.

Do you have a character you use when you perform?
  • Evil Genius?
  • Shaman?
  • Washed up magician?
  • Old Gregg?
Is your character an exaggeration you, or an extension of yourself?

Do you just perform as yourself, "Hello I'm Nick".

Let me know.

Also, give reasoning to why you chose the character or lack thereof that you have.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm Batman. Who are you?

Now that I've beaten everyone to the joke, I portray myself as a mad genius because that's basically what I am. I am a naturally occurring Bond villain.

Jun 26, 2009
i think i just perform as myself. i just walk up and say, hi my name is so and so, and i am a magician. could u please help me with a little experiment?"

so ya.

-zdog

Dec 30, 2008
If could explain why you choose that character also, (Like benefits or if you find it more entertaining) that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 14, 2008
I try to be myself whether I am a magician or just a human being. Most people find personality is what matters the most. I often try to add a bit of energy and humour towards my performance. If I am having fun, then the spectators will be having fun too.

I'm Batman. Who are you?

Now that I've beaten everyone to the joke, I portray myself as a mad genius because that's basically what I am. I am a naturally occurring Bond villain.
i read that batman line and nearly crapped my pants, pretty good one liner....

but seriously my character is a modern day side-show freak, not a monster, but a nice person who does' the grossest and most dangerous feats ever, from time to time all the while making everyone take times out of their day to not only be entertained, but have that one moment of amazement to carry them through their day...

i pride myself to not entertain people, i entertain the moment....

i'll have fun, they'll have fun......

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
My character is who I am on the inside, but let loose. That means that a lot of times I am quiet, keep to myself and look p*ssed when the situation is boring. It's my natural expression. I become outgoing, humorous and say whats on my mind whenever I feel like the situation is fun enough. That person is who I am in performance. I'm laid back, relaxed, a bit wacky and play off the energy of my spectators.

My character is who I am on the inside, but let loose. That means that a lot of times I am quiet, keep to myself and look p*ssed when the situation is boring. It's my natural expression. I become outgoing, humorous and say whats on my mind whenever I feel like the situation is fun enough. That person is who I am in performance. I'm laid back, relaxed, a bit wacky and play off the energy of my spectators.

My goes the opposite. like I frown and never laugh during my performance. it feels weird to see my own vid later.

May 3, 2008
My goes the opposite. like I frown and never laugh during my performance. it feels weird to see my own vid later.
That is how I used to go when I first started magic. After seeing David Blaine, i thought that it was what a magician was supposed to be. Magic later gave me the confidence and realization that I should be who I am. I find it it more fun and people enjoy it more.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Whether this post is sarcasm to see who people really are when they perform, the perfect answer is YOURSELF. You are who you are, you're not someone else and never will be someone else. Bottom line.

With that said, I'm Casey Rudd, a 14 year old who wants to entertain. I'm outgoing, funny, and a pretty chill person. See ya.

Cheers,

Aquaman...

I mean Casey Rudd

May 3, 2008
Whether this post is sarcasm to see who people really are when they perform, the perfect answer is YOURSELF. You are who you are, you're not someone else and never will be someone else. Bottom line.

With that said, I'm Casey Rudd, a 14 year old who wants to entertain. I'm outgoing, funny, and a pretty chill person. See ya.

Cheers,

Aquaman...

I mean Casey Rudd
The answer should be yourself, but also an exaggerated version of yourself. It's easy to say that you're funny, outgoing and relaxed, but how would you portray that to an audience who has never met you before? It's the patter, the lines that you use, the way you react to the audience, etc. that helps get those characteristics of your personality across. You have to portray all of those characterstics within that period of time in order for people to get a good sense of who you are. I think that's what these types of question ask for.

Dec 30, 2008
This isn't a sarcastic thread post. I'm interested in what characters people have and why they have them.

I don't think there is a correct answer or a "right" way to perform. I think its more up to the person who is performing. To say that being yourself is the best way, isn't necessarily true. One can be a bad performer when they are being themselves, but when they get into character, they can shine.

Anyway, I choose to perform as myself mostly because of the environment I perform in. I do close-up magic at restaurants for money, and for fun, at the mall, street, ect. To be an evil villian doing magic at the mall would be weird, but on stage, not so much.

May 31, 2008
Who are you?

who who, who who...

...but seriously:

I am a naturally quiet, and almost deadpan person. Nobody wants to see a person like that doing magic, so I tend to be a little more happy-cheery when I'm performing magic. I always act like a regular guy for the first part of the effect, but I become more mysterious as the effect progresses. It works very well.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i like this thread

i'm Web. and when i perform, i'm web

i'm me. the cards, coins, spongeballs, whatever else. are an extension of me. an extension of web.

i find this useful, because nobody will notice a change in me as soon as i pull out a pack of cards. i'm still web. just cause i'm holding some pasteboards doesnt mean i'm not web.

when i'm not doing magic i still constantly talk about my faith, and music, and magic. so when i perform i talk about my faith, music, and magic.

i dont try to hide in my magic. i try to show myself to people with my magic. my magic is an expression of me.

(wow that was cool to think through)

i cant wait for draven to pop up.

Sep 1, 2007

Preach it, brotha!! Can I get an amen?!

.... (crickets chirp)

At what point was there a perfect answer to this question? And I hate to be the one to break this to you but most people as themselves are just too flaming ordinary to hold a crowd. The way you described yourself... I've met dozens of people your age who could say the exact same thing. What makes you so special?

Jul 13, 2009
Steer kind of beat me to a question, I always here people replying to the "Who are you?" Question with "I am me." Or something along those lines.

Well my question is what is "Me, myself, and Irene?" No no I jest, "Me, myself, You, yourself, etc." are the most common answers. I mean is "me" a character/persona that everyone else who answers with "me" is, are there clones, am I in Star Wars?

When I ask people what does "Me" mean? I mostly get "I don't know." What?! That reply does not compute in my head. You just replied to my question with "Myself" then when I ask to expand it, you can't. What the heck man, what are you man? *Grabs shoulders and begins to shake you like my child that wouldn't stop crying* WHAT ARE YOU!!!!?

*The man composes himself*

That just tells me you are being your normal self you have no persona developed other then some dude who can do awesome **** with cards.

*the man takes a sledge hammer and destroys the soap box he once stood upon.*

To answer the original question I love story telling and writing stories, so I am currently working on a persona I like to call "Keeper of Fables." An eccentric, supernatural laced character who tells stories of origins unknown and known. While he tells the stories, subtle or not so subtle events happen that seem to justify the story as truth. It is highly theatrical (Love theater), very scripted (Love writing), potentially very technical theatrically and methodology wise, and magical what more can be said? OH and for those who want a shorter answer.

That is ME!

Silver

Dec 30, 2008
Keoke, I've been wanting to create a character like that, I always thought it would be fun to create some sort of character in my magic. I think I might do that and take it to the mall (despite my last post).

Steve, the killer of kittens, "I use their little baby souls to power my magic!"

No... maybe not.

Gregg, the close talker, invader of personal space. Take a shower? Not today!

Probably not him either...

I'll be pondering this for a while.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results