2CM Easy set up tutorial

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Hi! so I was kinda bored today, and I decided that I wanted to show you guys something that I usually use when I am about to do the 2 card monte trick, its not a tutorial on how to do the trick, it is a tutorial of how to set up the trick in front of your audience and how to use that setup to actually increase the reactions you get out of people, because besides the setup that you are doing there are some things that I use as "psycological aids" that will help you to gain their trust in you just before the trick itself, and it has some moments that helps create the illusion that the whole time you just used two cards....

It is something easy, but I think that some of you guys will actually find it usefull, just try it (im uploading the video right now, ill tel you guys when its ready).

So thanks, and Ill post the link later on.

EDIT1::// BTW the only requeriment to do the setup exactly the way I do it, its to know a little bit of culling, just a bit, althought if you dont know I think that there are still some things that you can actually use in your performances...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Here is the link guys, the password is: 12345

http://www.vimeo.com/4656246

And please, read carefully the below instructions, it took me a while to set this thing decently so I urge you to read it all, I hope it can be of use for you guys...

Dont hesitate to post comments or suggestions, thanks.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Okay, so my english pretty much sucks so Ill post here the actual instructions for the whole thing and some comments as well...

1) The first step is to let them know that the cards are no prepared in any way, if you actually show the two kings on top of the deck ( if it is your opener) well , its not a big matter, but it kinda gives them the impression that you pre-arranged the deck in some way before the trick. Let them shuffle the deck, that gives them the sense of control( you start building rapport here)

2)Continue by letting them know that you are going to actually use two cards for the trick, or the demonstration of the "secret move" whatever your patter is, then you start spreading the deck face up apparently searching for both kings( in reality you are actually looking for both aces, or whatever cards you actually like to change the kings into) then, if you see first an ace, cull it, and dont worry by getting caught, the espectator its at this time so focused at looking with you the kings that he actually hhe will not see your move, if you see a king first just upjog it and let them see that, at the same time you can say something like "well we have the first king".

Continue spreading the cards in a equal beat ( if you constantly keep the rithym of your spread, that kinda lulls the spectator mind and it is easier to perform any culling you need) keeping and eye for the king and the ace that are still somewhere in the deck, remember, if you see a king, upjog it, if you see an ace just cull it.

3) Now, when you end with your "secret setup" you should be left with two culled aces and two upjogged kings, close everything up and you should be left with the two aces on top of the deck and two kings upjogged, turn the deck face down and strip the kinds and place them face up on top of the deck and simply take them with your right hand and show them for a little bit ( this is misdirection to get a break below the two aces, and it is also a reminder that you are using just two cards, Ill explain the action a little more later on)...

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
4) put both kings face up on top of the deck (still keeping your fingerbreak) and take that packet with your right hand, and strip the top king and using the packet you have in your hand to flip it face down on top of the deck, and put the resto of the packet on top of the king, the other king that its still face up on top of the deck is flipped face down....

5) Now, you are going to do a very subtely that actually has a lot of impact in the memory in the spectator, just when you flip the king face down, you have to inmediatly push off the two top cards and grab them casually with your right hand...
put them on the deck again...

Note:

See what we did there? if you remember, we did the same action showing both kings face up in the very beggining of the trick, but now, you are repeating the same action but with the cards face down, your spectator mind registers the image of the two face up kings on your right hand and it relates that image to the two cards that you are holding face down in front of him...

6) start the trick...

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
A Couple of notes....

* Well I know this is a lot to read , but I urge you to do so, as I said before my english sucks and in here I can explain clear enough all what it is happening.

* The explanation fo the whole secuence can be a little long, but in performance it is just like 40 seconds long so give every little subtely their time, dont rush things..

* all these things combined with you talking divides their attention so they will not catch you in the culling, I assure you.

*All this stuff is performed and tested, I actually did it both ways, ( one doing this thing and the other witouth doing it ) and I can tell you that these things improves your performance a lot more, besides, using this I didnt had any problem for them to believe what I was telling them.

So I hope that you guys actually find this things usefull.

Sep 1, 2007
I've never performed 2-card monte before, but I do give you credit for knowing that a little subtlety goes a long way. With a proper mix of technique, showmanship, and understanding of theatrical motivation you can get away with murder right under someone's nose.

Sep 20, 2008
Thank you very much. I used to come and do 2CM with the cards already stacked on top. Note that with your method, the deck can be shuffled by spectators, which can add to the whole theme of 'street gambling' and all that jazz.

Very nicely done man. And dont stress about your English, i understood what you meant anyways.

Cheers for this, Really appreciate it.

-Sin

Sep 1, 2007
Thank you for making that video! You have helped me breathe life into my tired 2CM routine! By playing around with your set-up, I was able to come up with a new and more exciting patter than what I usually use! Thanks again!

May 18, 2008
That's also what I do. Took the idea from a performance video from Akira Fujii that was online a while ago..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results