Books or DVD's?

Jul 14, 2008
Well, everyone has different preferences. If it is from the book, I would like to see the video of the sleight, and then go back to the book, following the directions.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Both. the combination of books and DVDs provides the most in depth learning experience. i've learned palming in royal road and on a palming dvd. same with the pass.

Jan 13, 2008
in this day in age more people rather buy a dvd and learn from it!! why? is it so you can learn it quicker ? or are people just to lazy to pick up a book and read on how the effect is done!!
I'm curious as to what source you got that statistic from. Either way, people who prefer DVDs do so because they are often explained more clearly. Sometimes it's difficult to get across what you mean in words, when a simple demonstration can get across the same thing in so much less time. This is one of the reasons why Jason England's 1-on-1's are so popular here (despite them being moves that are ages old, around in print for the longest time).

As for me, I don't have a preference. I can learn equally well from both types of sources. :)

books or DVD´s

there is no source !! the reason for me saying that is because there is so many dvd´s beeing launched and view books are beeing published!!
every magic site i go to or shop i see more dvd´s beeing sold and less and less books!! but this is me thinking like this thats why i posted this out to try and find out what most of you think is better or more used!!

and thanks for the comment!!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I say both, but I primarily like to learn from books, with a video if I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing it.

I prefer to struggle a little bit for two reasons. First, because I find I really understand the overall reasoning for each movement more if I have to really think about it. Second because then I put my own spin on the material, and I'm not influenced by the presentation of the instructor.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
there is no source !! the reason for me saying that is because there is so many dvd´s beeing launched and view books are beeing published!!
every magic site i go to or shop i see more dvd´s beeing sold and less and less books!! but this is me thinking like this thats why i posted this out to try and find out what most of you think is better or more used!!

and thanks for the comment!!

The reason for this is that it is easier to make and reproduce a DVD over a book. Printing books is a big task that takes a lot longer than DVDs.

Dvd's are easier to learn certain techniques and moves because of the ability to follow along with someone who has already (hopefully) mastered what you're attempting to do. With a book many 2 handed techniques are difficult to learn because you have to flip the page half way through, or it doesn't stay open.

With all of that said, I enjoy getting older books as well as DVD's to learn from. A combination of both mediums to learn from is the most efficient way to learn and grow as a magician.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
With a book many 2 handed techniques are difficult to learn because you have to flip the page half way through, or it doesn't stay open.

I've actually been thinking about learning to bind books, so I can re-bind my magic books into a type that will lie flat.

Until then I just put paper weights on either side and ta-da, they stay open.

Dec 14, 2007
I'm curious as to what source you got that statistic from. Either way, people who prefer DVDs do so because they are often explained more clearly. Sometimes it's difficult to get across what you mean in words, when a simple demonstration can get across the same thing in so much less time. This is one of the reasons why Jason England's 1-on-1's are so popular here (despite them being moves that are ages old, around in print for the longest time).

This is patently untrue.

I am sent dozens of dvds each month. Rarely are the explanations more clear than contemporary examples of printed instructions. In fact, because less thought is required to produce them, they are usually more UNclear than a well printed comparable source. (They are also less efficient. What often takens 50 minutes to watch could have been communicated just as thoroughly with 4 well written, carefully edited paragraphs and two illustrations. I have referenced this many times in my reviews in magic magazine.)

Admittedly, poor writers produce poor instructions. But the very act of putting pen to paper forces one to organize and analyze their instruction. This is not always (and I will add, not often) the case with dvd instructions. Turn on the camera and start rambling seems to be the order of the day.

I find the jason england reference interesting. While jason sought out master models in his research, he spent a lot of time with the books. He learned from books. Didn't seem to hurt him any.

I have read jason"s manuscripts on the bottom and second deal. They are more clear than some other rambling attempts I have seen on other dvds. The problem is NOT with the media.

First and foremost jason knows the material. He has mastered it. Second, he has analyzedand synthesized the key elements and spent time thinking about how best to communicate them.

THIS is the reason his download is so clear. It is also the reason his printed instructions succeed.

Many who produce dvds have rushed something so quickly to market they rarely understand what it is they are actually doing in the first place let alone have spent any time considering the best way to teach it.

Writing - done well - requires this process. Dvd's do not.

Having said that, a bad writer will produce bad instructions.

The fault though has nothing to do with the printed word per se. A good writer who understands their material can communicate the most subtle of details with words.

I think one reason people should seek out books is the fact that there is so much more material available in them than on dvd. And while someone someday may try to put some of this material on dvd, those who avoid the source are forced to rely on someone else's interpretation which may or may not be acccurate. They begin with a specific model in mind - one many magicians are using - and that makes the quest for uniqueness, or at least difference, more challenging.

Want to set yourself apart from the crowd - buy an old book and find a trick you have never heard of. Learn it, perform it, think about it, tweak it.

Soon you may have something no one else in the world is doing.

That - to me - sounds like what MAGIC should be.

Sep 3, 2007
Want to set yourself apart from the crowd - buy an old book and find a trick you have never heard of. Learn it, perform it, think about it, tweak it.

Soon you may have something no one else in the world is doing.

That - to me - sounds like what MAGIC should be.

True dat! I've found so many occasions reading magic books where I didn't quite get the absolute picture. So I improvised. It fosters creativity. DVDs are good, don't get that wrong. Very few of them are tailored toward creative thinking though.

May 22, 2009
I don't think the reason that people buy more DVD's than books, isn't because of the format, but because of the content. I honestly don't care if it is on a book or a DVD, besides for portability, and stuff like that.
~Ian:D

Jan 13, 2008
This is patently untrue. [etc]
I would beg to differ. Obviously if you compare all DVDs to all books, you'll find a quality difference. With the cost difference in production, and the ability to get published on either media being vastly different, there will be a difference in overall quality (with books coming out on top; that's just inherent in the production process). Although, this is much different now, with PDF manuscripts being released by just about anybody--and the quality has indeed dropped significantly now that anyone and their dog can release something through that method.

However, I was referring specifically to at least decent offerings from each of the two media.

I was thinking specifically about Daniel Garcia and his rubber band effects. He has a rubber band effect in print in one of his lecture notes, which I adore, but the issue I had with it is that it took a significant amount of time to understand all of the moves correctly. The rubber band effect that he has on video (his last release with E), however, was a lot easier to understand, because one could just follow along and see him performing each and every step in its entirety (rather than stop-motion pictures, along with a sometimes-confusing explanation; granted, DG was a lot more clear than some others who have effects in print, and it could have been a dreadful experience were it one of those other people).

The difference is the ability to see how each step is supposed to look in its entirety, as compared to the limited pictures and sometimes confusing explanations (even the good explanations sometimes take a few reads to understand; I've never had to re-watch a video explanation, however).

All I am saying is that video offers a potentially easier to understand media. Is it better? Not necessarily. But, depending on the person doing the explanation (and that is a big factor), video offers a superior media as far as clarity goes.

As a caveat, though, it also tends to be prone to people sharing everything that comes to their mind, as you mentioned. However, I would say that is an issue with the person doing the presenting, not the media itself. If they properly script their explanation, that shouldn't be an issue (this is usually why books tend to be so good, because people are forced to think everything through--there is no opportunity for "freestyling" a (good) book).

Either way, both media have their good and bad points. DVDs tend to attract a lot more people who don't think their stuff through very well, although PDFs seem to be catching up in that regard.

With that said, I prefer books purely because there are a lot of great gems that get overlooked in books. That's a point I (unlike most, it seems) actually like--I love being the only one performing certain effects. I say, let the current generation flock to their DVDs, it leaves more goodies for myself. ;)

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Both. the combination of books and DVDs provides the most in depth learning experience. i've learned palming in royal road and on a palming dvd. same with the pass.

I totally agree. I personally like DVDs better because i get to actually see the move and/or trick happening. Dont get me wrong, i really enjoy books, but only if there really good.

Feb 5, 2010
i dont have phyiscal books. but i have e-books. and i learned a lot from those. but i also have a few dvds. for me really it just depends on what kind of trick it is. if its something like Anate i would rather have that in a e-book. but if its something like stairway id rather have it on video for the follow along reason.

Dec 14, 2007
I would beg to differ...
The difference is the ability to see how each step is supposed to look in its entirety, as compared to the limited pictures and sometimes confusing explanations (even the good explanations sometimes take a few reads to understand; I've never had to re-watch a video explanation, however).

All I am saying is that video offers a potentially easier to understand media

No need to beg.

But this is the part I take issue with. A good writer (who is wise in their choice of illustrations) can offer an equally easy learning tool as those offered on dvd.

Now. You may not have encounter many examples of this. That's understandable.there are a lot of crappy magic 'writers' out there. And contrary to your assertion, anyone can publish a book. I did!

Likewise, the volume of dvds with which I am presented has led me to realize that there is nothing inherent in the dvd format that makes things easier or clearer. Not even potentially.

It comes down to the quality of the teacher and the quality of instruction.

Admittedly, with a dvd one can often more readily 'see' what a bad instructor is failing to communicate with their words. But again, the fault lies with the teacher, not the media.

Further, discussions of theory/performance concepts have never been efficiently and successfully communicated on video as well as they have been in print. Perhaps someday someone will figure out how to do this, but ultimately the linear real time nature of dvd presentations run counter to the nature of philosophical thought/theoretical contemplation.

And then there is the issue of being able to digest and progress at your own pace which dvds do not afford. Or the abilitiy to quickly flip back a page and refresh, correct, or reexamine an idea.

But I digress.

My point is simply that one cannot claim dvds or books as media alone are inherently clearer or easier to use.

Even potentially.

Jan 13, 2008
You're right, in my vast collection, I haven't experienced many written works that are clearer than they could have been were they in video form. That isn't to say that I haven't experienced DVDs that could have been clearer were the same amount of thought put into them that go into some of the better books I've read (sadly, this is all too common). However, I still do believe that video has the greater potential for clarity (moving pictures are just inherently clearer than still pictures with words, which can be quite limiting or confusing in certain circumstances (especially for advanced moves)). That's not to say that most people use video to that potential, but the potential is still there.

Either way, I doubt either of us are going to be actually proving this through any sort of scientific experience, so I suppose it's just opinion on both of our parts.

*shrugs*

To each their own, I suppose. :)

On a related note, I do prefer books not only for their hidden gems, but because (again, like Brad I think it was (or someone else in the thread), mentioned) they tend to include a lot more material, and are often times cheaper. As well, the added clarity of video is sometimes not necessary (especially in mentalism, my focus), so with the cost benefit and amount of material, printed material just makes more sense (for my needs, anyway). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2007
The fact that magicians throughout history have been able to read the same printed words (flawed though they may have been) and still manage to figure out not only how to do a move but to do the move in a similar if not exact manner suggests to me that dvds are not offering anything inherently more or better than what serious students can not or have not already been able to gain from books.

Clearly its not the media.

(Not scientific, but a think it makes for a strong logical argument)or reexamine an idea.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results