Everyone Please see this!!!

Sep 13, 2010
Faridabad
Hello to all!!

I am Vansh Thakur from India. I have been fascinated by Magic since last 7 – 8 months. I couldn’t got any chance to learn about magic. But now here I am. I am completely a beginner, very new to this field.

This is my first post on Theory11 forums, which is going to be quite lengthy. But I hope you(everyone here) will read this completely and will help me in sorting out my problems.

I have posted this thread in the General Section as well as in the Card Magic Section. I was not fully confident to in which Section should I post this as I am going to talk about my career in Magic as general and problems facing in learning a card trick. Moderators can delete my post from any section they think to be unfitted.

As previously said I am completely a newbie, I am curious to learn this beautiful Art. I was searching on net from last 3 days and finally I reached to this fantastic website promoting The Art of Magic – theory11.com. I checked this website from every aspect and I am really happy to be here. On this website, I registered myself and visited the section saying “New to Magic”. There I found a couple of quotes and tips for learning Magic from Experts and Pros and then I clicked on Getting Started. There I found a lot of tricks available. Beside them, two tricks were available for free. I instantly downloaded one of them named”Classic Color Change by Jonathan Bayme (CEO of Theory11)”. I picked this as my first trick because it was in the beginner section and was also free. I thought why not start from this. I just downloaded that and start learning. Jonathan Bayme teaches this very well. I am too practicing this very hard. I have put on this trick more than 7 hours but still I didn’t got this in my hand. I am facing a lot of problems. I am going to mention them here. Firstly, I don’t know how to pick two cards as one as Jonathan Bayme does. I want to know about anything which teaches me this. Secondly, I can’t move the whole deck down leaving only top card stuck to covering hand. Always more than one card are left stuck to covering hand. Ok, if I do this intentionally, I can’t do the next part too. I can’t pull down the card below the top card with the help of base of the figures of covering hand. I always pull down more than one card which doesn’t make any sense. Lastly, I can’t properly square up the deck after the change is completed as I am not feeling comfortable holding the deck. All – in – all, I can’t do this properly from start to finish. In spite of spending more than 7 hours I can’t do this as smoothly as Jonathan Bayme does. This is very demotivating for me. Guys, does this really take so much of time to learn a trick? I need your suggestions and tips on this. Please, Please help!
I want to know if Jonathan Bayme can help me on this?

Ok, beside that I seen Jonathan Bayme performing Card Flourish in this video. This is called Cardistry. I came to know about this when I visited the Media Section on this website. I am fascinated by this too. This is really cool!! Please help me how can I start on this? Tell me any source which teaches me basics and then move to advance level like them in the Media section. I want to know anything which takes me from very beginning till pro level in Cardistry.

Ok, then I saw a lot of tricks available here on Theory11. I want to know which should I buy first to start. Tell me something which starts from very beginning and takes me to pro level. I don’t want to be specialize in a single form of this Art as said by chris Kenner “First choose what you want to be weather a Card guy or a Coin guy.” I want to be a complete professional magician. I want to learn doing magic with Cards, Coins, Everything and also with Nothing. So please help me how can I start?

And also I saw there a tag saying 3 more free tricks. I provided my email id there but didn’t received anything.

So, guys and pros please advise me and help me in sorting out my problems in doing Classic Color Change. And also help me in starting Magic and Cardistry.

Thank You for reading.
Waiting for your replies!!!

Regards
Vansh Thakur.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
First of all, welcome to the Art of Magic and theory11.com! We are all very glad to have you participate in this wonderful art. I would suggest picking up some books to start you out with. There is a FREE download here on the site by Jason England in the Tricks section, where he goes over some of the books you should get for learning the basics. A couple of them are The Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue and Encyclopedia of Card Tricks by the same author. I would download the file and start watching it to know more of the books though.

Most of the best magic is available in books! You will get a lot of return for little money, depending on the book price. Card College Volume 1 by Roberto Giobbi is also a very great one! Lots of essential card techniques and tricks to get you started! As for cardistry, wait until you have good card skills (which will take a while). This is because it takes great dexterity to maneuver the cards and handle them in such a smooth fashion. Wait until you have some proficient card skill, then pick up Genesis DVD by Andrei Jikh which is available here at Theory11! Great for starting Cardistry!

I hope you took some information from this and that it's been of good use to you. :)

-Casey

Jun 10, 2010
Buy "Royal Road to Card Magic" and "Expert Card Technique", along with any editions of "Expert at the Card Table" by S.W. Erdnase. For information on cardistry, check out Andrei Jikh's Genesis volume 1 available here at theory11, and for double lifts, the double lift download with Jason England.

Mar 28, 2010
Maryland
Hey Vansh Thakur!

Welcome to magic! I noticed in your post that you said you wanted to be a complete professional magician. In light of that, I would highly advise you to get the Tarbell Course in Magic. This is a great course for the beginner, and professional and teaches pretty much all the forms of magic. Hope you learn a lot and have fun!

PS: the course I mentioned above can be found on the website in my signature.

Also you can get Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic for very, very cheap. I can't recommend it enough. It has broad range of magic in it for not alot of money. Along with Royal Road and Modern Coin Magic.

Do not get sucked into buying single effect DVDs. Yes they seem totally awesome and some of them are but don't bury yourself in so much knowledge that you forget to perform. Wait until you're comfortable doing the basics to people then pick up a couple tricks.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Welcome to the beatiful art of magic!!!

I am so glad you decided to take the right road instead of the easy one (you know, the one downloading free magic somewhere)

feel free to PM me if you want more advice or tips...

Again....WELCOME!!

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Quick question,

what do you want to learn? you said cardistry and magic. theres so much magic out there. what kind of magic cards? coins? stage? what? do some watching of some pros. look up guys like Roth. Jason England, Darwin Ortiz. Jay Sankey. Stone. Any of the guys on theory11. figure out what kind of stuff you want to learn to do. what looks cool to you. what do you enjoy watching? what could you see yourself doing?

ask yourself these questions find out what kind of magic interests you. I'll give you some of the best starting points for most fields of magic. but don't just go buy them all, start with one. then work your way to other branches of this art.

Cards: Royal Road to Card Magic. written by Hugard and Braue.

Coins: JB Bobo's Modern Coin magic... written by JB Bobo. if you want a video reference. Look up Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made easy. but don't skimp on the book and just get the video. get both or just the book.

Mentalism: Fundamentals by Bob Cassidy.

General Magic: these books have a little bit of everything and will take you a long ways.

-Wilsons Complete Course

-Tarbell Course in magic (If you only buy this, and only learn the material in this book, and learn all of it. you will have every trick you will ever need.)

The two most valuable things you can do: Watch Pros. PERFORM!!! if you do these two things, you will be great. (of course in order to perform you need to learn some effects.)

If you want to know where to go after you finish one of the books in the same tract. PM me later. i've got a tract planned out (roughly) for just about every field.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Welcome to our home my friend. You will learn a lot as you begin to navigate through the forums. Most of our members have already pointed you in the correct direction as far as book titles / suggestions. Take your time though. There is no hurry. Magic will always be here waiting for you. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but you've come to the right place.

Sep 13, 2010
Faridabad
Everyone, Thanks a lot!!
Thank you very much for replying me back. I read all the replies and also the message sent by Josh Stacy(deceptioproverum).Reading his message and reply of worldwideme (actually all of yours) made me think for a moment, and I changed my mind. As Josh Stacy(deceptioproverum) said in his message that I should listen to Chris Kenner and worldwideme said asking a couple of questions from myself and thinking about them, I got my first answer. Yes, now I will start with Cards first. But problem is that I am not feeling comfortable with cards in my hand when I practice Classic Color Change. A thought came to my mind at that point of time that does this really take so much of time or I am doing wrong way as I said I have spent more than 7-8 hours on my very first and basic trick and this question still continuous.

Now I have determined that I will start with cards so Tell me the one and only resource which starts from basics and moves further. For cards - So much of names, Ah!! I am confused. Tell me one which is really good!!!

And yes, I liked Dan and Dave Buck very much. They are the real Card Guys. I seen their videos here and also on youtube. They inspire me. I want to know if there is any instructional book from Dan and Dave Buck which starts with basics and then moves further? Or I should go with something else except Dan and Dave Buck?

But problem is that I am not feeling comfortable with cards in my hand when I practice Classic Color Change.

Feeling comfortable with cards will come with time. It's like riding a Bicycle...get it? BIKES = CARDS! No?

A thought came to my mind at that point of time that does this really take so much of time or I am doing wrong way as I said I have spent more than 7-8 hours on my very first and basic trick and this question still continuous.

Yes it will take some time before you have perfected a move. Just keep watching the performance video and try to break down what is happening.

I want to know if there is any instructional book from Dan and Dave Buck which starts with basics and then moves further? Or I should go with something else except Dan and Dave Buck?

DnD's stuff is pretty hard. You should master the basics first before jumping into something like The Trilogy.

As for a book for card magic basics, I would say, hands down, The Royal Road to Card Magic. Good luck and have fun in your quest buddy. Feel free to PM me or pretty much anyone on the forum.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Cards: Royal Road to Card Magic. written by Hugard and Braue.

i quote myself. (something i've always watned to do) and say this ^^^^

dont start with the bucks. work your way up. if you want to learn card magic and cardistry. go with the above mentioned book. and Genesis by Andrei Jikh. but i suggest spending some time just shuffling a pack of cards and getting used to it before moving onto Genesis. or any flourishing resource. Royal Road teaches the two most popular shuffles. Overhand and Riffle.

Sep 13, 2010
Faridabad
Thank You Very much vipermagic and worldwideme.
Now I am gonna grab my copy of Royal Road to Card Magic - just determined.

Thanks for help!
If more suggestions are available please PM me or post here.

hey vanshthakur,

Just remember too read a few things on the web. Learn about what cards too use (bicycles,tallyhos etc), how to take care of them. And most of all, don't try and go with anything to advanced. The Dan and Dave stuff is pretty tough.

Also, remember that Theory11 is not the only place to find help with magic. You can visit www.themagiccafe.com, check out their forums, and search Theory11's forums. There's a lot of help from old forum threads that will answer a lot of your questions.

Just like the other guys said, don't expect any of the card moves to come easily. I've been working on my Classic Color Change for more than a year and I still have problems. Also, the move where he ''flips two cards as one'' is called a 'Double Lift.' Most beginner magic books will tell you how to do one, there are lots of different ways of executing one. Some people like to hold a break with their pinky finger, I personally use an advanced one, the strike.

Once you get pretty good at a few tricks, start performing for relatives (cousins, brothers, sisters, uncles, auntie ji's). You'll start to learn how to control people and manipulate their actions so they listen to you. If you make a mistake when performing, don't stress out, when you make mistakes, you learn how to improvise, you learn how to cover your mistake when you're in performance. Every time I perform I make one mistake, but I cover it up, and nobody notices.

Afterwards, go out and perform to some people on the street. Being an Indian I know how tough our people can be, especially on the streets!

Most of all. You'll have LOTS of fun learning, and performing. I sometimes go until 3 in the morning just playing with my cards.

All the best!

Mehar Singh

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Everyone, Thanks a lot!!
Thank you very much for replying me back. I read all the replies and also the message sent by Josh Stacy(deceptioproverum).Reading his message and reply of worldwideme (actually all of yours) made me think for a moment, and I changed my mind. As Josh Stacy(deceptioproverum) said in his message that I should listen to Chris Kenner and worldwideme said asking a couple of questions from myself and thinking about them, I got my first answer. Yes, now I will start with Cards first. But problem is that I am not feeling comfortable with cards in my hand when I practice Classic Color Change. A thought came to my mind at that point of time that does this really take so much of time or I am doing wrong way as I said I have spent more than 7-8 hours on my very first and basic trick and this question still continuous.

Now I have determined that I will start with cards so Tell me the one and only resource which starts from basics and moves further. For cards - So much of names, Ah!! I am confused. Tell me one which is really good!!!

And yes, I liked Dan and Dave Buck very much. They are the real Card Guys. I seen their videos here and also on youtube. They inspire me. I want to know if there is any instructional book from Dan and Dave Buck which starts with basics and then moves further? Or I should go with something else except Dan and Dave Buck?

Just a quick answer from me. I don't even know why I'm online - I have an essay due in three hours - but just quickly: yes, it takes a lot of time. Some sleights will take years of practice to master. Yes, years of practice. Many will take a lot less time. But you should definitely be aware that most sleights take quite a while to master - the classic color change is probably very close to the easy side of things as far as difficulty goes. But as you get better, you'll pick things up quicker, too. Feeling comfortable with cards will also come in time. I recently watched a video from another member who as far as I know has been in magic for a while, and also felt with him that at some point, he did not look entirely comfortable. But that's alright, we can all improve.

But never forget - magic does not come from a trick. It comes from you.

Sep 13, 2010
Faridabad
Hi Guys……..
What’s up?

As advised by all of you, I am going to start with The Royal Road To Card Magic. I read its review on net and it seems to be a very – very good book for beginner and Jason England has also highly recommended it for beginners in his video What To Read. I am feeling very happy and enthusiast now, Thanks to all of you for this.

But till I receive my copy of the book I decided to continue with Classic color Change – still I can’t do this. I am facing same problems as described in my very first post. I thought it may be because of those cheap cards I am using here. I decided to start my journey to Royal Road To Card Magic with NEW. I saw a variety of cards here on Theory11. What cards will be good for me as I am a newbie? What cards will you advise me to start with?

Waiting for your replies!!!

I saw a variety of cards here on Theory11. What cards will be good for me as I am a newbie? What cards will you advise me to start with?

Bicycle rider backs! These cards here are great looking but for a beginner Bikes are the only way to go IMO. They are inexpensive and last pretty long if you take care of them properly.

Remember it's not the cards that make the magic, it's you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results