In Which Order

Jul 13, 2009
In case you're interested, here's my true opinion, and I'll try to give you some reasoning, too. So, how do people view magic? Broad question - I'll make it a little more contextual. How would people view a routine consisting of a single card color change followed by a full deck change, versus one or the other? In truth, it depends entirely on how they are performed. If you let the spectator view each effect as a magician does, as single effects one after the other, then I believe your conclusion of undermining the first is probably close to reality. However, when you build a routine, you don't have to make this distinct separation. You create a flow of magic that doesn't necessarily have delimited "tricks". Changing the color of a single card could easily bring meaning to the second phase. Maybe a spectator touching a card changes it's color? This is demonstrated with one card, then they run their finger along the rest of the deck and it too changes color. I'd personally say this could strengthen the effect of a colour changing deck. The first phase isn't undermined by the deck changing, but rather it enhances the overall routine by adding meaning.

To be honest having a full deck color change dampens the effect for me as an observer. I mean I just chose a card and it just so happens to be the only one that is red, yay me. Then if the magician does a full deck change into the same back as mine, I feel like, "oh yay I was special for a moment now my card is the same as the others, bummer." But that is just how I view this type of a routine, I love that I can still view effects like a laymen :p.

The above is another example of how you have extrapolated from my post. You imply that I disagree that a routine has a beginning, a middle and an end.

Dude your extrapolating by assuming he is implying that you disagree with his post. Irony I think so. :p

That's you though, isn't it? I know this is a difficult concept to grasp, but we're not talking about you.
In other words he is plugging his ears to your opinion so might as well not give anymore advice to him but someone else.

You like a variety of different effects, that's great, you're a brilliant all round performer - I get that, now - but my suggestion was in response to what AlfieWhattamMagic asked. From what I gathered, the question seemed to be coming from a beginner, and so I tried to answer in a way that would be helpful to him. Rather than saying "it won't work, try something else", I tried to find something that would work.

An apprentice alchemist once came to me and present a turd and he asked if I could make an elixir of eternal life with it. I told him to discard the turd and go retrieve the petals of a rose that grows on top of a cold rocky mountain, surrounded by thorns and guarded by a dragon. Although it is a dangerous direction, it's the right one to take in order to get what he wanted eternal life.

Huruey did it ever occur to you that maybe your suggested routine just isn't strong enough? I believe Morgician was just trying to help Alfie out by pointing out what was wrong with your suggestion. Furthermore while doing so giving legitimate tips that other advanced (I hate using that word in this context) magicians need in order to routine better.

But whatever I am just an outside observer talking to the air.

Silver

Sep 1, 2007
UK
To be honest having a full deck color change dampens the effect for me as an observer. I mean I just chose a card and it just so happens to be the only one that is red, yay me. Then if the magician does a full deck change into the same back as mine, I feel like, "oh yay I was special for a moment now my card is the same as the others, bummer." But that is just how I view this type of a routine, I love that I can still view effects like a laymen :p.

You highlight my point, here, silver. As I explained, this is the case when all that is presented is the effect itself with no meaning. You illustrate this nicely with "I mean I just chose a card and it just so happens to be the only one that is red, yay me". There is no meaningful presentation, here. Were there an actual meaning to having one phase follow the other, then it could easily strengthen the routine.

To illustrate my point, here is a little routine that might work:
The magician introduces a deck of cards and explains how card cheats have often used marked decks as a way of cheating money out of their opponents, but as the knowledge of marked decks became more widespread, the cheaters had to devise more and more devious and clever ways of marking cards. This deck is a very special marked deck that the magician obtained from an ex-card-cheat. The magician demonstrates by having the spectator take a card, which he then shuffles back into the deck. He then explains that the card is sensitive to the touch, and so has now been marked by the spectator. The deck is spread "All it needed was that touch, and now the card has changed back colour." Through the presentation, you then aim to invoke a challenge from the spectator (Pit Hartling has a great essay on this in his book Card Fictions). Through the language you use, you make the spectator want to challenge that them touching the card really does change the colour. When they make this challenge, the deck is spread face up. You offer to let them touch more cards to see if it happens with them, also. It does. You then invite them to check the rest of the backs to make sure there's nothing funny going on. When they do so, all the backs have changed colour, because, of course, they have just touched them all.

In this routine, now that there is actually a reason for things happening, can you see that the initial phase is not undermined but is actually used to give meaning to and enhance the routine as a whole?

Dude your extrapolating by assuming he is implying that you disagree with his post. Irony I think so. :p

No, extrapolating is not the same as reasonably inferring something. He used the word "but" after saying he agreed with me. This implies that the text that follows disagrees. This is the English language. No irony here. ;)

In other words he is plugging his ears to your opinion so might as well not give anymore advice to him but someone else.

I can hope that he doesn't plug his ears. Nevertheless, I made that post as much to help others who may be confused about my argument due to what he wrote.

Huruey did it ever occur to you that maybe your suggested routine just isn't strong enough? I believe Morgician was just trying to help Alfie out by pointing out what was wrong with your suggestion. Furthermore while doing so giving legitimate tips that other advanced (I hate using that word in this context) magicians need in order to routine better.

How could you or Morgician be able to make such a big judgement? You haven't seen it performed, nor have you performed it. I merely gave an outline. Clearly more thought is needed for it. I was trying to get Keokesilverfang started with an idea. Maybe it is a rubbish routine, I don't know, either. I haven't done it. I'm not trying to defend the routine. Morgician wasn't just pointing out what he thought was wrong with my suggestion, he was making unjustified statements about why it should not be done and why repeating doing similar effects should not be done in general.

I was not arguing for the routine I suggested. I am arguing against the general points Morgician was making regarding similar effects in succession. I did so because I believe it would be of benefit to both Morgician and others reading this thread to view his argument more critically, and should I be met with reasoned argument, also of benefit to myself so that I may learn, too. Is it possible that Morgician was wrong about his reasoning for the routine being bad? What if everybody reading suddenly just assumed he was correct? I believed otherwise, and so I made a case against Morgician's point. I was then met with a post that demonstrated a severe lack of understanding of my point and that still failed to make a decent case for his own argument, while at the same time making several comments to undermine my character.

I hope you can see that I too have been trying to help and learn alike. Should I not argue my point and be right, then others will go on being wrong. Should I not argue my point and be wrong, then I shall not learn myself. I can only hope for the other person to be in a similar position, where they not not only out to teach.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
Hey Joe,

You seem to be taking things personally...I don't know where to start with what is wrong with your replies...but in short, I was in a hurry when I wrote what I wrote. I think you have the argument all wrong, because you are taking it personally, and refuse to accept that your opinion is one that I have tested and have others test. Continue to pick my thoughts apart line by line - I find it funny that you question my credentials or that my opinions should just be mine, so you can try to trump them with your own.

Tell you what Joe, you have ignorantly backed me into a corner. You see, if I defend my thoughts based off the time, experience and educational material that I have studied...you chastize me for it? You try to belittle me by stating saying that I am trying to force my opinion on this young man, and that I am an ego manic. When the truth is, I understand magic well enough...having studied magic on an academic level in University, as well as on my own time, in ways that you haven't. HOWEVER, maybe I am making an assumption, so correct me if I am wrong - have you a BSC, in Psychology where you spent a term interviewing people about magic, and quantifying the impact that magic has on people. Also, I have studied magic for a long time - over 10 years now (as you already know) - as well as performed close up successfully for these years - SO...I think my "opinions" are valid...and that the advice I am giving him is tried and tested. IS YOURS?

So - let's let the kid decide - because in the end, he will learn and grow based off his own experiences. So - go ahead and do a one card transpo, with a two card tranpo to follow...then somehow introduce the ID - I am sure the young man can pull it off with his experience. Then, let's have him do the set with a different trick in the middle, something that let's people experience something new. Then he can evaluate what is better.

Joe, I think you feel that I am stating that performing this way would not make a good TRICK - but we are talking building a set. My advice is solid - sorry it doesn't come from someone whose book you bought, or DVD you have invested in...as I am sure you wouldn't be so "angry" with the feedback. Great book by the way...Card Fictions...I tried to keep that one under wraps for awhile.

Perhaps I am an ego manic...I never said I wasn't - however, I don't usually state something I know doesn't work. Can you say the same? Remember, this isn't about opinion...it is about giving this young man something that works!! Not something that "may work" - so go perform it Joe - be my guest. I don't really care to joust with you, as I am not going to waste time arguing over something that doesn't really impact me.

I think what I stated was aimed to help - I think what you stated was there to protect your own ego. Perhaps you should start thinking about your posts too, if you are going to get so upset.

If you have any further issues, PM me your phone number, and I will call on my bill. We can talk like men over the phone, rather than bickering like children on a forum.

By the way, you used the word extrapolation way too much - and I am not sure my statements were extrapolative, as my recommendations were based on direct observations from my MASSIVE AMOUNT OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCE - from my own act, and those that pay me to consult for them.

Please tell me more about your personal experience...or are you being extrapolative in your words?

Cheers, look forward to speaking with you.

Mar 29, 2008
It is just another case of someone having to get upset when they offer advice that is questioned. I am sorry, I am not going to take back my advice, as I know it is solid. With my history on this forum, and my personal experience in magic, I think I have earned the right to answer a simple question like this.

I feel bad for Alfie...because now he is may be thinking, "well, what do I do" - it is easier not to change, but I feel that these 3 effects (although all strong on their own) don't really mesh together. Once again, nobody has dealt with how Alfie will ring in the Invisible Deck without heat.

Alfie - realize that the first two effects, in the mind of the audience, will be virtually the same. They will still be impressive, but let's compare the colour changing thing - but instead of the deck - let's think about it in exact terms to the first two effects. So imagine you did an effect where one card changed colour. Then, your second trick, you had two cards change colour. Then you pocket that deck...pull out another one and do Invisible Deck. Will people react? Sure. They probably haven't seen anyone do this kind of thing before.

Now, what would you want to see from a magician - two tricks similar, then one different, or three different things in magic. Alfie, you choose what you want, in my personal experience - people seem to enjoy variety. If you can give them 3 strong experiences in magic, you should stive to do that.

Think about it in one more way - how will people talk about what they see to others.

Set as it is - perhaps something like:

It was crazy, he made cards switch places in my hand, then I thought of a card and it was reversed in another deck. At best they may give more, then less on the deck switch, when giving detail like: He made one card switch with another, then he did it with two cards, then I thought of a card and it was reversed in his deck.

However, even by adding ANY different trick, let's even say your standard ACR.

He made a card switch with one in my hand, then a card I selected he would put in the middle and it came to the top (and it had my name on it), then I thought of ac ard and it was reversed in the deck.

I don't know...maybe it is just me...but different is remembered, same can be forgotten...I just don't see this set as memorable as I bet he can make it....

BUT, maybe Joe is right.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Actually what you could do is do the 2CM thing, then Force a card (riffle or hindu or whatever.). Then control that card to the top of the deck (anyway you want.). Then show that their thought of card is the top card. Now for consistency. You pull out a pen have them sign their name on the card do a 2 or 3 phase ACR and have it end with Omni-deck.

You can then use whatever presentation you want. This is just an idea and in all reality it may not work.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Really interesting point, I've never thought of it that way.

To answer the original question, one of my favorite card routines:

1. Two-Card Monte
2. Some sort of sandwich effect with the two cards that were produced in the Two-Card Monte

If i do 2cm that's exactly what i do, i go into a sandwich effect.
flows pretty nice.

I know its sad thats the only i have to say after all these long posts

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Well guys, how about this? Seeing as different people have different opinions as to the strength of these two tricks, why doesn't somebody actually try performing this set? Think up some patter and actually test it on real people. Seems like a good way to find out whether it works or not to me...

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Morgician, the were to you actually make an argument other than "I would know", then I would be much happier, and maybe then we could actually both gain something from this. I'm not trying to pick apart your argument for the sake of it. I wouldn't have to go anywhere near your credentials if you stopped trying to use them to belittle my argument and strengthen your own.

Please note that you were the first to make things personal when you said that some people simply don't understand how people view magic and your reasoning for your argument. The fact that you use this against my argument implies that I do not understand. I was less upset about being personally attacked, but more upset about the fact that you were refusing to actually make a reasonable argument that we could learn from.

You've continued to ignore my points. You are saying I am now confusing Alfie by giving him bad advice. What if our advice is bad. You don't seem prepared to give that option a chance. I gave reasons in the hope that I would be met with a decent counter-argument.

My advice is solid - sorry it doesn't come from someone whose book you bought, or DVD you have invested in...as I am sure you wouldn't be so "angry" with the feedback. Great book by the way...Card Fictions...I tried to keep that one under wraps for awhile.

Your advice is solid? Alfie is to simply take your word for it? At least try to counter the points I've made rather than appeal to your superior wisdom on the matter. What if my advice is solid? Where did your comment about my learning sources even come from? You now seem to imply that I only ever learn from books and DVDs? I can assure you, had I read your advice in a book, I would have not merely agreed with it because it was in a book.

If you read Strong Magic again, you'll find that Ortiz goes into great depth when explaining the reasons behind the claims. If you could approach the argument in a similar way, as I had been trying to, then we might actually get somewhere.

I will respond further to your PM, which I'm not exactly looking forward to seen as it is simply littered with "and I would know his because" rather than "I think this because".

Joe

Jul 13, 2009
Well guys, how about this? Seeing as different people have different opinions as to the strength of these two tricks, why doesn't somebody actually try performing this set? Think up some patter and actually test it on real people. Seems like a good way to find out whether it works or not to me...

I already have :p. didn't work at all. I got a better reaction just telling a story. It wasn't stunned silence it was "oh hey neat trick, could you tell us again about the man who climbed a tree..."

Keep in mind it had a presentation that wasn't a gambling blah blah blah presentation. During chicago, I was talking about individuality, that was the entire theme usually going into a triumph. In this case replaced with an invisible deck. The color changing deck did nothing but seem like "magic j/o" <= quote from my brother.

Scarecrow1, sometimes comments like those are best left not written. Now is one of them.

You highlight my point, here, silver. As I explained, this is the case when all that is presented is the effect itself with no meaning. You illustrate this nicely with "I mean I just chose a card and it just so happens to be the only one that is red, yay me". There is no meaningful presentation, here. Were there an actual meaning to having one phase follow the other, then it could easily strengthen the routine.

You missed what I said, the "Yay me," is one of celebration. Then later on the celebration is torn down by revealing the fact the magician can turn the entire deck the same color.

To illustrate my point, here is a little routine that might work:
The magician introduces a deck of cards and explains how card cheats have often used marked decks as a way of cheating money out of their opponents, but as the knowledge of marked decks became more widespread, the cheaters had to devise more and more devious and clever ways of marking cards. This deck is a very special marked deck that the magician obtained from an ex-card-cheat. The magician demonstrates by having the spectator take a card, which he then shuffles back into the deck. He then explains that the card is sensitive to the touch, and so has now been marked by the spectator. The deck is spread "All it needed was that touch, and now the card has changed back colour." Through the presentation, you then aim to invoke a challenge from the spectator (Pit Hartling has a great essay on this in his book Card Fictions). Through the language you use, you make the spectator want to challenge that them touching the card really does change the colour. When they make this challenge, the deck is spread face up. You offer to let them touch more cards to see if it happens with them, also. It does. You then invite them to check the rest of the backs to make sure there's nothing funny going on. When they do so, all the backs have changed colour, because, of course, they have just touched them all.

Yeah it may work, but I would probably hang myself after using this presentation. It's sooooooooooooooooo over used.

I can hope that he doesn't plug his ears. Nevertheless, I made that post as much to help others who may be confused about my argument due to what he wrote.

My bad I was talking to Morgician.

How could you or Morgician be able to make such a big judgement? You haven't seen it performed, nor have you performed it.

Boy don't be assuming.

I merely gave an outline. Clearly more thought is needed for it. I was trying to get Keokesilverfang started with an idea. Maybe it is a rubbish routine, I don't know, either. I haven't done it. I'm not trying to defend the routine. Morgician wasn't just pointing out what he thought was wrong with my suggestion, he was making unjustified statements about why it should not be done and why repeating doing similar effects should not be done in general.

Have you ever heard of magic theory? Have you heard of philosophy? Philosophers make huge judgments based off of experience. But the thing about philosophy is there is no set in stone theory, just like in this case.

To the rest of your post, why bother trying to change others views? Just give the tips and get over it. Your directing your posts at the wrong people, Morgician is old, not "Get off my lawn KIDS!" old but you get the point. Also I am completely busting balls Morgician. I don't need anymore ideas, I am pretty sure if you and I had a mind link your brain would explode with the amount of information wizzing about in my ol noggin.

"met with a post that demonstrated a severe lack of understanding"
No I think there was just a break in communication at fault of the receiving end. The receiving end being you, and if you want an example of why I believe that refer to the beginning of the post when I started addressing you.

Anyway, I got better things to do....well not better things but mandatory things I have to do.

Ciao for now,

Silver

EDIT

some people simply don't understand how people view magic and your reasoning for your argument. The fact that you use this against my argument implies that I do not understand.
No he was not making it personal, you made it personal by believing he was talking about you. It's like when is a racist comment racist? It's racist to the person that is offended, and when no one is offended it's speech.

Your advice is solid? Alfie is to simply take your word for it? At least try to counter the points I've made rather than appeal to your superior wisdom on the matter. What if my advice is solid? Where did your comment about my learning sources even come from? You now seem to imply that I only ever learn from books and DVDs? I can assure you, had I read your advice in a book, I would have not merely agreed with it because it was in a book.

If you read Strong Magic again, you'll find that Ortiz goes into great depth when explaining the reasons behind the claims. If you could approach the argument in a similar way, as I had been trying to, then we might actually get somewhere.

I will respond further to your PM, which I'm not exactly looking forward to seen as it is simply littered with "and I would know his because" rather than "I think this because".

*Puts on glasses and then takes them off in a dramatic way.*
Look, the reason I would take Morgician's word over yours is for the simple reason that he probably has more work experience then you do. Most if not all arguments are based off of books, I mean strong magic is not the bible, or the constitution of magic. But whatever I just wanted to point out that I am more willing to take advice from someone I know, then someone I don't. Yeah it's biased but it's a good biased.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Silver, you have misread several things I have written. You continue to highlight several of the points I have made. Your closing comment regarding Morgician's experience in particular. That is not a good kind of bias, and is the reason I continued to try to make my point. You shouldn't just take somebodies word for something just because they claim they have he experience. Learn something from this... http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=25013.

I can tell you now that I shall not be returning to this thread or forum again. It is a place where people are more concerned with status on the forum than with magic. Some people need to learn that becoming a teacher does not make you any less of a student. Others, it seems, simply need to learn English.

Mar 29, 2008
Morgician, the were to you actually make an argument other than "I would know", then I would be much happier, and maybe then we could actually both gain something from this.

I did make legitimate argumets on why the set could be stronger - actually, you keep side stepping them to talk about how credentials don't matter. EVEN if they don't, and EXPERIENCE is not a credential it is HOW we learn, then my points are all valid. I would love Alfie to try it both ways, and give us feedback.

I'm not trying to pick apart your argument for the sake of it. I wouldn't have to go anywhere near your credentials if you stopped trying to use them to belittle my argument and strengthen your own.

Umm, what argument - most of your posts are about how valuable my arguments are, you said very litte. Please, in your next post just write EXACTLY what your points are, and we can talk about those. However, and again - I am not going to "win" against somenoe that values OPINION over EXERIENCE.

Please note that you were the first to make things personal when you said that some people simply don't understand how people view magic and your reasoning for your argument. The fact that you use this against my argument implies that I do not understand. I was less upset about being personally attacked, but more upset about the fact that you were refusing to actually make a reasonable argument that we could learn from.

I still don't think you have learnt some of the key points to help you understand how this set could be FAR better...as you seem to be arguing it is WONDERFUL the way it is. If you believe that, than that gives me much information about you. Also, it isn't an insult - Alfie wouldn't have asked if he had the knowledge either, and that is why we are here. Because there is so many that have appreciated the kind of imput that guys like Steerpike, Silver Fang, William Draven, (and a few others) and myself offer - we hang out here to offer advice that works.

You've continued to ignore my points. You are saying I am now confusing Alfie by giving him bad advice. What if our advice is bad. You don't seem prepared to give that option a chance. I gave reasons in the hope that I would be met with a decent counter-argument.

You aren't reading - the point is - I have given that a chance...OVER 10 YEARS, you don't think I have tried that? More than ONCE? But, oh, there I go stating my credentials? Whatever. Look, my counter-argument exists in books like Strong Magic, in my personal experience, in understanding how audiences react to magic. I don't know what to say to you, but give it time and maybe you will feel the same way.

Your advice is solid? Alfie is to simply take your word for it? At least try to counter the points I've made rather than appeal to your superior wisdom on the matter. What if my advice is solid?

It seems like you just want to argue here, but because I have seen the impact of these kind of sets in my magic and others, I don't have much to argue. Is Alfie to take my word? He doesn't have to, which is why I said go learn the hard way. Do it yourself. It doesn't effect me either way Joe. You are really starting to appear like a sore loser. This reads like a tantrum. Oh, and if your advice is solid, we wouldn't be having this debate. Have you read others comments? Yeah, not really backing up the "keep it as is" argument you have got behind.

This is a bit ignorant, my time is valuable too, and if you have read that book, then I shouldn't (especially for you) have to go into great detail. Why should I have to explain things to the bitter end, I am not being paid for my advice. Those that want to take it, great, those who do not are not intitled to an essay to prove something. What you are asking here is not only ignorant, but selfish. I actually dislike you now.

Keep trashing Joe - it looks good on you.

Jul 13, 2009
Silver, you have misread several things I have written. You continue to highlight several of the points I have made. Your closing comment regarding Morgician's experience in particular. That is not a good kind of bias, and is the reason I continued to try to make my point. You shouldn't just take somebodies word for something just because they claim they have he experience. Learn something from this... http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=25013.

I can tell you now that I shall not be returning to this thread or forum again. It is a place where people are more concerned with status on the forum than with magic. Some people need to learn that becoming a teacher does not make you any less of a student. Others, it seems, simply need to learn English.

RAGE QUIT! :p

Mar 29, 2008
More more thing - you brought Sherlock's post into play, and thank you, because I have been meaning to write something about that, and I have.

I will say one more thing Joe - write to me what your points, as I think you have, and I have answered them. You still haven't dealt with the deck switch, how limiting showing 2 effects so similar would be in comparison to the alternative, or how I believe in the series of 3 and this set will come across like a start and a finish. I look forward to reading your answers on these topics.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results