t11.bulletin - WHAT TO READ with Jason England

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
One of the more common questions we see posted on this site is about books. What should I ready - when - and why? As a beginner, it's very difficult to figure out which books one should start with. With videos, you are able to watch previews and see what piques your interest. With books, you don't have that luxury aside from what is written on the back cover.

Tonight, we release a new instant download from Jason England that will set you off in the right direction. A short, simple video spanning 11 minutes in which Jason shows you his personal recommendations on which books to start out with when starting out in card magic. Jason explains why each book is a necessary read, and shows you a glimpse into the pages.

The best part? This video is FREE. You have no excuse not to download and watch it now, entirely on the house. Enjoy!

http://www.theory11.com/tricks/what-to-read-jason-england.php

Apr 1, 2009
California
what a great 1-on-1. The Card Magic of Le Paul has quickly become a bible to me for card magic. I love his work. Definitely some great choices in there. and also many books I've over looked when building my library. So I will definitely start collecting. Thank you for sharing this.

Jan 14, 2008
philippines
Thank you very much J.B!! its about time books are given the spotlight...

just a quick question, is it just about gambling or sleight of hand in general??

maraming salamat..

Jul 12, 2010
Sweden
Great 1-on-1, however I'm suprised he didn't mention the paper engine. I'm not sure about England's feelings towards Fisher's work, but in my opinion it's a great book, may be my favourite one, and I believe no card magician looking to improve should be without it.

Mar 16, 2010
Lithuania
Yes!!! Another free 1-on-1. Thanks JB. I have allways thought that it would be so helpfull, if some magician would give his advice on what to read. You guys are reading my mind!

Nov 8, 2007
Very cool to see a 1-on-1 like this. Mr. England, of course, gives great recommendations. Now I want to get those Roy Walton books that have somehow slipped by me all these years.

I'm sure this will be beneficial to a lot of people that watch it.

Feb 16, 2010
Great books and certainly great recommendations. I just hope that people here in the community will actually take the time to track down good literature sources and study them, as you are handing down recommendations on a silver platter.

JasonEngland

theory11 artist / card mechanic
Nov 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Great 1-on-1, however I'm suprised he didn't mention the paper engine. I'm not sure about England's feelings towards Fisher's work, but in my opinion it's a great book, may be my favourite one, and I believe no card magician looking to improve should be without it.

Monerya,

As I mentioned at the beginning of the video clip, the books represented are some of my favorite card magic books of the 20th century. The Paper Engine was released in 2002.

Jason

PS: I'm not sure it would have made the cut even if it was released in the late 1990s. I like the book and would give it a good review if I was reviewing it, but I don't think it's achieved the status of "enduring classic" that most of the other books on my list have.

Jul 12, 2010
Sweden
Oh, my apologies. Must've missed that, anyways I guess we just have different views on it then :)

But thanks a ton for responding, and yet another great 1 on 1.

Jun 10, 2010
Monerya,

As I mentioned at the beginning of the video clip, the books represented are some of my favorite card magic books of the 20th century. The Paper Engine was released in 2002.

Jason

PS: I'm not sure it would have made the cut even if it was released in the late 1990s. I like the book and would give it a good review if I was reviewing it, but I don't think it's achieved the status of "enduring classic" that most of the other books on my list have.

Jason, would you put Secrets Draun from Underground and Steranko on Cards in there, if you were given the opportunity to add two more books? Those are two I'm currently very interested in getting, and I'd like to see what you have to say about them :).

JasonEngland

theory11 artist / card mechanic
Nov 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Mr. Fang (can I call you sabor?),

No. I don't think either of those books would make the cut if I had to add two more, or even ten more. Don't get me wrong, they're both very interesting and I have and enjoy both books. Unfortunately, neither is of the caliber of the books that made my list.

Some other possible contenders are:

Sonata by Juan Tamariz (a terrific book by arguably today's greatest living magician)
The Vernon Chronicles Vols 1 - 3 by Stephen Minch (not all cards, but superbly written and illustrated)
The Secrets of Bro. John Hamman by Richard Kaufman (a great book of all card magic)
The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings by Mike Maxwell (not all cards, but great magic even if it's poorly written)
The Dai Vernon Book of Magic by Lewis Ganson (also not an all cards book)
Greater Magic by Hilliard (perhaps the best overall book on this list)

Jason

PS: Keep in mind that the goal in making my list wasn't to simply showcase some "good" books. It was to showcase the books that really form the backbone of a modern card magic library, at least with regard to books published in the 20th century. There are dozens of books that I'm very fond of that don't quite fit that criteria. Gene Maze and the Art of Bottom Dealing and By Forces Unseen are two wonderful books that I really, really enjoy reading and drawing inspiration from. But they are too narrowly focused (in the case of the Gene Maze book) or simply too quirky (in the case of the Ernest Earick book) to be elevated to "backbone of the library" level. Many other books are in the same boat. They may be good, or even great, but they have to be extra-special to have made my (admittedly personal and biased) list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
"backbone of he library" is the key phrase here. I am sure Mr. England can list hundreds of other books that he would be able to write very positive reviews for, but only a handful or books can reach that special level each person has within them. This is where Mr. England's long experience in the field comes into play, as he has had more years to form that special level out of a sea of never ending literature.

I have only been doing magic for just under 10 years, and the only book that I have been able to add to my special list (other than some that Mr. England has mentioned) is, "Carneycopia" by John Carney =).

Actually, second that. I would also put Mnemonica and Sonata by Juan Tamariz. Mnemonica might not be for everyone, but it was my introduction to a mem. deck and reading Tamariz's work is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Feb 16, 2010
Jason, would you put Secrets Draun from Underground and Steranko on Cards in there, if you were given the opportunity to add two more books? Those are two I'm currently very interested in getting, and I'd like to see what you have to say about them :).
Both are worth studying. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results