Diary of a Nitwit Magician

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2008
probably gonna get flamed for this but...

entertaining read. abit annoying to be honest, i dont see why people consider it comical genious.

either people here have abit of an immature sense of humour, or maybe i just dont understand this.

didnt laugh once while reading...

just my opinion

I didn't laugh at all either, it certainly isn't comedy genius although I do think it's fairly entertaining to read. Hopefully there won't be too many more, seems like he's starting to run out of ideas.

Mar 29, 2008
Day 12

Wow, magic tricks are really sneaky – turns out my Invisible deck wasn’t broken, it was SUPPOSED to be that way. I was at the shop in the morning talking to Jeff and when I mentioned how my Invisible deck was broken; he looked at mine, laughed, and told me how it worked. I still think the trick is a rip off...nobody said there was going to be MATH when I decided to be a magician. I suck at math, no big deal; I will just get a pocket calculator and work it into my patter. Problem solved!

Mar 29, 2008
Day 13

I went out today and decided to do more street magic...even though stupid Tom calls it busking, that guy is such an idiot!

I put together a kick @ss set – I opened with a trick I just got today called Hot Rod, someone picks one of 6 gems and as long as it’s blue they all turn to that colour; great opener.

I also bought a trick called Insurance Policy where someone picks a card and I have to pretend like I get it wrong a bunch of times and then I finally show a big copy of the right card. I thought it would be cool to find every card BUT that card and then show them I knew it the entire time, I think people will really like the build up.

Then I am going to close with Invisible Deck. This should kill - I can't wait to tell Tom how much better than him I am!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
I don't get, I really don't.
I mean, obviously I understand the parody, but it's not funny at all. It's actually pretty immature, and a bit arrogant at times.
But apparently I have a really strange sense of humor, becuase pretty much everyone else here says it's by far the greatest piece of comedy they have ever seen.
Oh, well, as long as it makes people laugh, I guess. Have fun.

im with you..
im a local comedian/improv teacher and i dont find this funny at all

i think i gave a small smile once

guess the children find this funny

Sep 1, 2007
im with you..

What do you want, a cookie?

I got a few grins out of this because I've known people like the kind parodied here. And I have to confess that most magicians have found themselves thinking similar thoughts when they first started out too. Not like any of them will ever admit to it, of course.

It's certainly not Aaron Williams, or Terry Pratchett. And it's certainly not Jonathon Swift or Mark Twain. But I can take it for what it is.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
im with you..

i think i gave a small smile once

guess the children find this funny

What.. that makes you an expert on what's funny??
Don't want to start an argument, but there's no such thing as an expert of comedy. You can't have qualifications, you can have a formula for what's funny, you can't know exactly what to say to make someone laugh; everyone's humour is different.

A 40 year old somewhere would be in tears on the ground at the sight of some guy in a chicken suit acting like a primary school kid being extraordinarily immature. You might not find it funny, a kid might find it funny, but who knows, maybe someone's dad does too.

If you don't find it funny, you don't have to read it. Just leave it for the people that do find it funny.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Day 13

I also bought a trick called Insurance Policy where someone picks a card and I have to pretend like I get it wrong a bunch of times and then I finally show a big copy of the right card. I thought it would be cool to find every card BUT that card and then show them I knew it the entire time, I think people will really like the build up.

I still do that trick. ^^

Many people teach various things, and yet, some of their students are more qualified than them. I'm mot trying to direct this at you, but when someone states qualifications before their opinion when it isn't asked for, it just makes it sound like they are trying to say their opinions matters more than others. Just bad form, in my opinion.

-ThrallMind

Mar 29, 2008
Day 13 and a half!

F***ing B**S*** I hate magic hecklers – everybody was in a rush and wouldn’t let me get through my second trick (Insurance Policy). One time I was in such a rush, I accidently pulled out my invisible deck to do the Insurance Policy and it totally mixed up my Invisible Deck.

Only one group allowed me to get to the end of my show, and when I was done they asked to see the Invisible Deck...and when I said he couldn’t because magicians never reveals their secrets, this jerk face said that his Uncle has the same deck at home and got it at some stupid Amusement Park store. I hate exposure! Time to go look up some new magic on Youtube!

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Day 13 and a half!
Reason: Has anyone considered that this wasn't meant to be funny?

Nope, I don't think so.

How can this be taken seriously? This obviously isn't actually about your magical tales. You're writing this comedically - how can "There's this thing called a double lift which is impossible to do." or "I am totally going to get laid." not be comedic?

If it's not meant to be funny, what is it?

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Still..... laughing..... hurts....

The only thing funnier than the diary are the people who don't get it and don't find it funny.

"Only immature people would find this funny"
"I teach comedy, and according to my calculations, this is NOT funny."

Hilarious. You can't make fun of some magicians enough. They just keep upping the ante.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Morgician,

I have been thinking about your diary a lot, and as a seasoned performer, who doesn't want to be an ass to young beginners with such obvious talent as yourself, I would like to give you some serious advice:

To improve your magical abilities, you need to pick one single magical artist and latch on to their performing style like a starving tick on a fat dog.

Study that performer's every move... then copy them. Copy them like a xerox machine. Become an absolute clone.

Learn every routine they do. Then do it just like them. And don't pick someone stupid like Tom or Brian, pick someone amazing like Blaine, or Angel, or Copperfield. Or pick someone semi-amazing like Wayne Houchin or Daniel Garcia.

Tell the same jokes they do. Wear the same clothes and dumb jewelry. Practice matching their facial expressions. After all... if it works for them how much more will it work for you - YOU ARE A NATURAL BORN PERFORMER. Hell, you hardly even have to practice.

Keep it up bro. Can't wait to see where magic takes you.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Morgician,

I have been thinking about your diary a lot, and as a seasoned performer, who doesn't want to be an ass to young beginners with such obvious talent as yourself, I would like to give you some serious advice:

To improve your magical abilities, you need to pick one single magical artist and latch on to their performing style like a starving tick on a fat dog.

Study that performer's every move... then copy them. Copy them like a xerox machine. Become an absolute clone.

Learn every routine they do. Then do it just like them. And don't pick someone stupid like Tom or Brian, pick someone amazing like Blaine, or Angel, or Copperfield. Or pick someone semi-amazing like Wayne Houchin or Daniel Garcia.

Tell the same jokes they do. Wear the same clothes and dumb jewelry. Practice matching their facial expressions. After all... if it works for them how much more will it work for you - YOU ARE A NATURAL BORN PERFORMER. Hell, you hardly even have to practice.

dude.. it's not real. read morgician's other posts outside of this thread.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Morgician,

A nice thought, but M is a very seasoned pro - I'm one of the few who know's his real secret identity! Mwahaha!

D.

Oct 6, 2007
Morgician,

I'm PRETTY SURE this is a joke....

Mar 29, 2008
Dear Chase,

Thank you for the solid advice - I am think your advice on copying Blaine is BANG on - as his presentations are so AMAZING - I love how he says so much by saying so little. WATCH..LOOK...WATCH - I mean, brillant - right to the point of what we really want in magic - people to watch. Magic IS an art!

However, I thought about copying Ammar from his East to Master Card Miracles, as he is good at copying himself - and the tricks are at my level right now...easy. I downloaded all 9 of his videos, and hope to have the stuff perfected by weeks end. I am even working on speaking like a Texan when I do his tricks...unless I am doing Guy Hollingworths stuff (which is WAY to hard for any human)...then I speak like I am English, I think people will appreciate having a diverse and multicultural character.

I may consider copying just one magician - do you have any Youtube videos I can watch?

Thank you for the support - it is nice that finally someone in this thread offered me some help and understood what this is all about! I will do my best not to disappoint the concept of being a magician - Oh, on that note - I was thinking of a cool stage name like "Cliche the Magician". What do you think?

Anyhow - I am probably going to publish some stuff soon, so everyone here will respect me and my opinions more and worship me like they do all the T11 guys.

Talk soon Chase. Thanks again!

Mar 29, 2008
Day 16

I am officially a Professional magician! I made business cards on my computer. They have a rabbit in a hat on one side and a playing card on the other. If there is some way that I can get them to pick the card on my business card that would really freak them out. I bet NOBODY has a business card as cool as mine! Tom is going to be SO jealous.

I can’t wait, I am totally ready – I have almost mastered like ten tricks, and as soon as I cut out my sheet of business cards, I am in business. I heard Tom charges $300.00 for a show, but he has been doing it for years – so I will probably charge $25.00 for my show...hell yeah...it’s more than I can make working at a fast food joint. Also, I think Tom will see it as a sign of respect that I am charging so much less for my show in comparison to him. I mean, he is an A-hole but I don’t want him to think that I am better than him…I have only been doing it for two weeks…it is going to take me at least another two weeks before I am as good as Tom. Man, he is such an A-hole!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results