Diary of a Nitwit Magician

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
Day 22

OMG! I've had the idea. So I saw Tom doing this trick that looked familiar. So I went back on youtube, checked out all my subscriptions, and found the name of the trick. Indecent Coin in Can. Needless to say I kept researching. I always knew I had the work-ethic to make me great.

So today, I went back to that bar, and waiting for Tom to come near. I sneaked in as an innocent spectator, so began to watch. He did the can trick, and I asked out loud if that was Indecent by Will Hoochin. He gave me a look. I knew he'd be impressed.

He then moved on to a card trick where he made the card change in someone's hand. I asked while he was showing the card if he performed a double lift. At this point, all eyes are on me. I knew they'd be impressed.

I caught him on a few more, proving I'm a better magician, and now I'm back home, ready to bed. It's Tuesday, so mom's coming over the give me a sponge bath, but I always fall asleep right after those. Thanks for your support guys.

SG

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008

Day 23

That Sponge bath was amazing.
Cant wait till Tuesday.

I went back to the bar,I heard this guy telling jokes
They weren't good but he was getting a lot of attention
Right away I figured a way to be a better magician
If I incorporated some comedy in my magic than maybe I would only have to work 5o% on the magic
That would be great because its getting kinda difficult for me.

I walked towards the group and Silvia was right there
At first I was a little nervous but I knew my strategy was perfect.
I showed her the LF monte again.
Instead of doing it like I usually do I threw some jokes I had heard from a Seinfeld Show I watched earlier tonight
I couldn't believe how much she liked it this time.
I tough I would get me laid for sure but she said she had to go to wash some dishes
I gave her one of my business cards with my phone number on it.
I hope she calls me tonight
This comedy stuff is really cool
Who knew that you could work less on magic and get better reactions from it
I think im buying a comedy book tomorrow.
My mom knows some jokes maybe ill ask her for some too

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
Day 24Wow my mom is really Funny

I picked up the joke book today and Seinfield season one
(I think Im like 10 times Funnier now)
I went back to the bar and Tom was right there.
Since I had Proven two days ago that I was a better magician I walked up to him and challenged him to a duel!:eek:
He said yes(He didnt know I was Using comedy now:D)

The people judging the duel would be the audience he had.
Tom Started with a trick and the audience wasnt that impresed.
he was doing all these weird moves with the cards and I think he took too long to cut the cards.
When It was my turn I started my routine with a monologue I heard from the seinfield guy.
The people were cracking up(Im so funny)

I delivered some of the jokes my mom told me and the people were laughig so hard
when they were laughind I quickly switched the deck I had in my hand for a piece of bread.(Comedy is good for misdirection)

I told them that when I get hungry my deck turns into bread:)
(I think it was really funy)
I ate it and then I won the duel

Ill practice more of the comedy tomorrow.
Still waiting for silvia to call me:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2008
Day 24Wow my mom is really Funny

I picked up the joke book today and Seinfield season one
(I think Im like 10 times Funnier now)
I went back to the bar and Tom was right there.
Since I had Proven two days ago that I was a better magician I walked up to him and challenged him to a duel!:eek:
He said yes(He didnt know I was Using comedy now:D)

The people judging the duel would be the audience he had.
Tom Started with a trick and the audience wasnt that impresed.
he was doing all these weird moves with the cards and I think he took too long to cut the cards.
When It was my turn I started my routine with a monologue I heard from the seinfield guy.
The people were cracking up(Im so funny)

I delivered some of the jokes my mom told me and the people were laughig so hard
when they were laughind I quickly switched the deck I had in my hand for a piece of bread.(Comedy is good for misdirection)

I told them that when I get hungry my deck turns into bread:)
(I think it was really funy)
I ate it and then I won the duel

Ill practice more of the comedy tomorrow.
Still waiting for silvia to call me:cool:

You just completely ruined this, these posts were obviously just a way to bring up your stupid argument about comedy magic that nobody agrees with.

Sep 3, 2007
Day 25

Gotta do some homework... My mom keeps bugging me but each time I tell her a joke she laughs. I told her I was studying nursery rhymes and told her a good one I got out of my joke book: Jack and Jill went up the hill to have a little fun, stupid Jill forgot her pill and now they have a little son. She thought that was funnier than school so I went back to practicing magic. I gave up on the puss so now I'm working on something called a DL that I found online. This one guy uses it to make cards change all over the place but he's STUPID because it's so confusing you don't know which card is which. I think he's trying to hide it from me but I'll figure it out by watching it over and over and over until I get it.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Day 27

Mom yelled at me today, my teacher phoned home and said my grades were slipping. She said I'm focusing too much on magic, she just doesn't understand; I can make a living out of this! I just need to learn some cool tricks that will get me good reactions.

Speaking of which, I spoke to Tom yesterday and he said if there's anything that would get me a great reaction it's a deck varnish or whatever he called it. I went home and I couldn't find anything so I think he was lying to me. I saw this cool video of these two look-alikes though (I think they used camera editing or something) and they were doing these really fast things. I want to be just like them so I'm going to go ask on some forum somewhere. I can't remember their names though... Oh well, I think it was Duck something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Sean

Dec 30, 2007
Day 28

I got my first paid gig! My mom knows this one lady at her job who's kid's birthday is coming up, and she said that she wanted me to perform for her! The kid is 8 years old, and it's going to be SOOOO easy. Kids are so easily entertained, I'll do a routine and take my $400! I'm thinking of doing an impromptu, off-the-cuff sort of thing, doing tricks as I think of them, and then throwing in some humor- one of the attendees is Asian, is there a way I could work that into a joke?

Anyway, I'm going to bring all my best tricks- the LF Monte, of course, Stigmata, Wounded (as soon as it finishes downloading) and of course my homemade Raven and Ultrasmoke. It should blow these kids away. Also, on the part where you force a card in the David Blaine trick (It's the Classical Force, I believe) do you have to underjog or whatever the card towards the spectator to make them choose it? I know kids are stupid so they'll probably fall for it easily.

So wish me luck in my first gig! I'm hoping to amaze these kids, and I know Wounded is going to blow them away.

P.S.: If anyone knows where I can download Sam the Barhop, please PM me!

Toad

Banned
May 28, 2008
Day 29

Tomorrow is the big day! Today I went online to search up some free tutorials for some tricks. I watched a few tricks by this guy called Daniel Madison. he has a wierd Australian accent. I watched this card change he made up and it looked cool. I searched a tutorial. Its very simple. all you do is have two cards throw the first card off. i would have never thought of that. its gonna freak those kids out.

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
Day 31

Omg

I saw this Brian Tudor On the internet
His hand were moving all over the place
He is doing some weird stuff with cards
Flurishes I think The others called it.
I think its what the guy in the bar was doing
If I learn this I will get laid for sure
He inspired me to pick up the Cards again

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
This thread itself is rather pointless (the entries are becoming... off-topic and stupid), although Morgician's original reason is a very valid and interesting one.

I believe that if someone wishes to continue the discussion of the difficulties new magicians face and the attitude that current magicians have towards them, a new thread should be made.

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
This thread itself is rather pointless (the entries are becoming... off-topic and stupid), although Morgician's original reason is a very valid and interesting one.

I believe that if someone wishes to continue the discussion of the difficulties new magicians face and the attitude that current magicians have towards them, a new thread should be made.

True...............
I contributed to it too.

Sep 1, 2007
Exactly why the replies were "off topic and stupid"

DOn't know what you were trying to say there mate...

There's two distinct possibilities here.

He's either a move monkey who values style over substance in the extreme and only practices magic to buoy his ego.

Or he's pretending to be an egocentric moron in order to satirize people like Brian Tudor. Unfortunately, the joke is getting rather old.

Mar 29, 2008
Day 33

Wow…I am an idiot, but I think I have seen the light. I met a magician that has been doing magic longer than I have been alive! He has written many books on magic and he showed me stuff that BLEW my mind. However, it was his patience in explaining some errors in my thinking that really changed my perspective on magic. I told my Mom this guy is my mentor, I trust him to lead me down a path that will allow me to share magic with people that is the way I first experienced it.

Magic is not about corny jokes and picking up girls, you can make people feel incredible by sharing good magic with them. Turns out, the internet is a HORRIBLE resource for magic – I showed my mentor this effect I called Voopoo Card, but it turns out it is called Voodoo card…even worse, that isn’t even the real name it was originally called Card Warp by Roy Walton. The internet is a very bad source for accuracy of move and trick names,. Wow, I must have looked like a knob…my mentor gave me few books with moves first, then a trick that teaches it. I think I am going to start paying more attention to things, as I really want to share magic in the best way, but need to take my time to figure it out.

OH, turns out that move is called the PASS…but I might actually change the handling a bit and call it the Puss…my first publication! Then those online guys will respect me! Tom is still an A hole.

Mar 29, 2008
Day 40

I am reading a lot on theory – and have decided that I need to not do flourishes as much…I know some guys I talk to think they are awesome, but I feel it shows skill. Skill and magic don’t mix…well, that is my opinion, but hey; I just came up with my first standard of what my magic will be. My mentor says that a magician can be judged by what he chooses NOT to do and why, rather than what he chooses to do – haha, I wonder what he would say if I told him I used to do LF Monte.

Anyhow, I am really mastering some basic sleight of hand – my mentor said if I master the basics, like in any physical skill, I should be able to do some really good magic. I am no longer in a rush to perform professionally, I figure once I get good enough people will want to see me and request, when that starts to happen…I will take those steps when the time comes…for now, I will make sure I have something decent to offer.

I am reading many books, watching some videos and asking many questions on forums – although I am scattered with different opinions. It is hard to know what will work and won’t – but I am sure trial and error will help with that. Tom is still an A hole, but perhaps less of one than I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results