Most underrated magician in the present day?

I dont think Andy Nyman is underrated at all. He's extremely famous among mentalists and his products are really popular.

With all respect to the posters, I think all the ones mentioned are treated fairly ( except Dynamo, but I'm not a fan).

In my humble opinion, underrated creators ( not performers ):
- Bob King - lots of stuff, especially Bre. Crimps.
- Jack McMillan - loads of stuff you probably do though don't know he invented them.
- Currently, Scott Robinson, made a name in Trapdoor mag., though dont know about new published material. He's quite known among magicians familiar with FFFF though.
- Gene Maze, probably because most of the stuff need a table.
- Underrated outside Scotland: Steve Hamilton.

Sep 9, 2007
this is going to sound strange at first, because he's pretty well known in the community, and pretty well known in asia, but I think Cyril Takayama is one of the most underrated performers of magic (at least here in North America).

I like his style because he doesn't overdo it too much in any extreme direction and he just seems like a fun, entertaining guy. I guess that sort of style doesn't jive too well with North American culture, but I love checking out his Japanese/Korean specials whenever I can. He really should have blown up after the THEM specials, but I guess that didn't pan out too well.

Personally, I think he should be as much of a household name as alot of the other big guys, I'm always amazed by his performances, even if it's something I've already seen/know.

oh well.

on a side note, anyone know where I can learn that whole "time capsule"/"time machine" routine he does?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
this is going to sound strange at first, because he's pretty well known in the community, and pretty well known in asia, but I think Cyril Takayama is one of the most underrated performers of magic (at least here in North America).

I like his style because he doesn't overdo it too much in any extreme direction and he just seems like a fun, entertaining guy. I guess that sort of style doesn't jive too well with North American culture, but I love checking out his Japanese/Korean specials whenever I can. He really should have blown up after the THEM specials, but I guess that didn't pan out too well.

Personally, I think he should be as much of a household name as alot of the other big guys, I'm always amazed by his performances, even if it's something I've already seen/know.

oh well.

on a side note, anyone know where I can learn that whole "time capsule"/"time machine" routine he does?

Actually,he's considered the first "cyber celebrity".
His short clips and magic specials posted on youtube have made him one of the most viewed and discussed magicians in the world.
Everyone here in the states ive encountered refers to him as that "asian magician on youtube".
They all say he's way better than David or Criss

Sep 9, 2007
Actually,he's considered the first "cyber celebrity".
His short clips and magic specials posted on youtube have made him one of the most viewed and discussed magicians in the world.
Everyone here in the states ive encountered refers to him as that "asian magician on youtube".
They all say he's way better than David or Criss

That's EXACTLY my point though. He's always "that asian magician on youtube" or "the guy that pulls the hamburger out of the sign."

If someone says David Blaine, Criss Angel, or David Copperfield everyone knows who they're talking about. Try saying Cyril Takayama outside of the magic community and count the blank stares until you say "the hamburger-out-of-sign guy"....

I was talking to a friend about magicians currently creating and performing. His argument was like many in the over 40 age group was that magicians nowadays got nothing on the guys from previous eras. Anyways the name Dan Hauss got brought up and I realized that Dan because of his shying away from the limelight has made him not as recognizable as some others who do not have as much material available. Lets look at the facts, this guy has twice been a consultant for David Blaine on two television specials he has been the creator of The amazing shrinking finger(worldwide best seller) Flow(mega best seller) Sleeping Queen(best seller) Lit(world wide best seller) Riot (huge hit) Redline and several more. What's insane is that he basically with the exception of shrinking finger did all of those effects in about a years time. What about you guys what are some other magicians that deserve props?

BTW I hope this thread will be used to build fellow magi up and not tear them down.
Dan Hauss hands down...wats so kool about dan, is he uses his area around him. when you find out his methods, it makes some of these really complex methods seem like, " how the hell did he do that using just that?" dan is smooth, a true ninja, i kinda like to do my work in his mold...not saying i'm him....but i try to tap into his thought mechanism when doing my projects....he is very underrated....

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
That's EXACTLY my point though. He's always "that asian magician on youtube" or "the guy that pulls the hamburger out of the sign."

If someone says David Blaine, Criss Angel, or David Copperfield everyone knows who they're talking about. Try saying Cyril Takayama outside of the magic community and count the blank stares until you say "the hamburger-out-of-sign guy"....

I still stick to my main points on him being the most discussed and watched magician on the internet.
He's clearly not underrated.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Just want to point out that Rick Smith Jr (the card throwing guy), isn't the same person as Ricky Smith (the guy who invented the Cherry Control).

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Well since the thread is most underrated MAGICIAN do you guys really think rick smiths magic is underrated?
He's not much of a performer.
He's badass at throwing cards but his magic is neither.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results