Asking Her To Prom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2007
A few ideas off the top of my head...

1. You could draw something or write her a nice letter and give it to her. Then, after she looks at it, pass a lighter underneath and burn away all the ink until the only thing that's left is the message saying "Will you go to prom with me?" You can do this using a FriXion gel pen.

2. An unassuming card effect: Ask her to cut the cards at any point and "mark where she cut" using the criss-cross force. Talk about something special between the two of you for a moment for the sake of setting the tone, presentation, and time misdirection. Push off the card she cut to face down and turn over all the other cards (but hiding the top card--you'll see why in just a moment) in the deck showing her she could have cut to any card. Tell her the card she cut to must be special. She turns it over and it's the 2 of Hearts (built-in metaphor there for you to talk about). Ask her to light the lighter that's been on the table and (top change here) wave the 2 of Hearts over the flame (another presentation hook with the word "flame") a few times until you turn it over and reveal that the words "Will you go to prom with me?" are burned into the card.

3. Do Paul Harris's Counterfeit Spectator with her borrowed dollar bill, changing the ink on the dollar bill to the words "Will you go to prom with me?"

I'm sure she'll appreciate whatever you choose to do. Good luck, and hope you have a fun, safe, and memorable prom night!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 22, 2010
Honestly, I would just ask her without using any magic. Not trying to sound rude or anything, but using magic is kind of cheesy to ask a girl to prom...

She wants to go out with YOU, not your magic, so just be real and ask her by going on a nice date. Maybe a picnic by a lake at sunset, ect. Do something that comes from you and not your magic. You can use magic if you want, however she might think using magic to get her to say yes is kind of cheesy and loses the effect (no pun intended).

-Casey

i second that. magic has and still is becoming an even bigger part of my life but i would never use a piece of magic to ask a girl to prom. its just better to straight up ask her

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I was actually thinking this. Take a nice pic-nic. Tell her how I want to write her a secret note, and give her something. pick up a napkin (really flash paper) and write all 26 letters of the alphabet on it. Show it to her and say this is the note...but like I said, it is secret...you have to decode it. I'll tell you how after I give you something. Fold the flash paper into a rose and say I want to give you a rose...I know you love them, but I didn't have a chance to get to the flower shop. Now to the note, that is actually written on the rose...Fire is the key. Light the lighter for me and simply touch it to the bottom of the rose. I produce a real rose and say how she really did decode the message, and show her a note that is attached to the rose that says "will you go to prom with me?"

Good? any thoughts?

Sep 1, 2007
@steerpike - your negative comments are unwanted.

And yet, here I am. Ain't that just the damndest thing?

It's a fairly safe assumption, but in the case of the OP, I'm sure he knows whether or not his potential date digs flowers.

Just making a point that most people here are very quick to recommend material that they likely have never actually performed and routines that the only just came up with. Asking for recommendations of material with such a crowd is just begging to be force-fed a lot of bad advice and store-bought opinions. You're better off just covering a wall in post-it notes with effects written on them and throwing darts at it blindfolded.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I think is great to ask her to the prom even when you have been a couple sometime now...it indicates that you care about her and that surprises will come along to give your relationship something new...she will feel like the first time you ask her out...well I hope so...

I totally support the idea of doing a magic trick to ask her to the prom...

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Steerpike, you may still be in this thread, but that doesn't mean you are wanted here. If anyone has given me useless information, it is you...actually I correct myself, you have given me no information. Butt out.

Luis Vega, Thanks for the support! I really do care about her and try to always do things for her. I supprised her with a rose earlier this week!!! :) she loved it!

Anyone know where I can learn the Flash Paper Rose to Rose effect?

Sep 1, 2007
I was actually thinking this. Take a nice pic-nic. Tell her how I want to write her a secret note, and give her something. pick up a napkin (really flash paper) and write all 26 letters of the alphabet on it. Show it to her and say this is the note...but like I said, it is secret...you have to decode it. I'll tell you how after I give you something. Fold the flash paper into a rose and say I want to give you a rose...I know you love them, but I didn't have a chance to get to the flower shop. Now to the note, that is actually written on the rose...Fire is the key. Light the lighter for me and simply touch it to the bottom of the rose. I produce a real rose and say how she really did decode the message, and show her a note that is attached to the rose that says "will you go to prom with me?"

Good? any thoughts?

If you absolutely have to do this, don't do something that convoluted and cornball. Less is more. Having the note ask the question for you is just tacky and cliche. It's what any random would think of, so it lacks any sense of personality.

Again, less is more.

Sep 1, 2007
Steerpike, you may still be in this thread, but that doesn't mean you are wanted here. If anyone has given me useless information, it is you...actually I correct myself, you have given me no information. Butt out.

So because I'm not telling you to run out and buy more crap, I'm not helping? If you'd rather get trick recommendations from people who have never performed this **** rather than getting advice on what makes magic magical in the first place, then say so now so that I can avoid wasting anymore of my time talking to an empty room.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
So because I'm not telling you to run out and buy more crap, I'm not helping? If you'd rather get trick recommendations from people who have never performed this **** rather than getting advice on what makes magic magical in the first place, then say so now so that I can avoid wasting anymore of my time talking to an empty room.

Well... that's not at all what you are doing, and you are completely changing the subject, so bye.

I asked a girl to prom last year using a trick. It was just a simple switch trick where the card in her hand switches with the card in mine. The first time it was done with switching the two cards knowing full well that she would say "do it again".... the second time was just changing my card to the one in her hand and the card in her hand said will you go to prom with me.

hope that made sense

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Hm...
Prom and Magic... Meh
I personally don't recommend using magic to ask someone to prom... it seems a bit cheesy and a bit pushy as well. It is... "creative" per se but not what I would call... "not...lame". haha. If you are sure your girlfriend loves it and you know it would sound good when people talk about it... then fine. go ahead.
1. Dont use it as your main media as TheatreHand says. If you do, it seems like you're kind of distracting from the main topic which is the... asking. Use it as a very side thing... produce something small and not as significant. So she only needs to concentrate on the trick for a short period of time and can return her focus back on you.
2. Don't take an old routine and change elements of it to fit what you are trying to do. Taking French Kiss and changing what is written on the card makes the actual Asking seem less significant and deems it just part of the trick. You want all the focus to be on you two and the asking.
3.Stay away from magic props. self explanatory.
4.As well as magic props, stay away from walk around objects... "oh look a can in the rubbish bin. whats this? oh my god a rose in the can? NO WAY!" sounds kind of odd and sketchy. Make it obvious you prepared everything and put effort into it, but not so much that it seems you are OCDing on her.
5.Dont make a routine out of it. As I said before, the magic should be small and should not drag focus away from the asking. I don't know about other magicians, but I hate it when someone links 3-4 unrelated magic routines in some random way just so it leads to a small insignificant object at the very end. For example, dont produce a rose which some how spits out chocolate, which burns up into a giant box, which inside you find a bottle... where you somehow have another box inside... then you somehow pull that box out and inside is a note. To me, it just seems highly unnecessary.

Now on to what you proposed:
"Tell her how I want to write her a secret note, and give her something. pick up a napkin (really flash paper) and write all 26 letters of the alphabet on it. Show it to her and say this is the note...but like I said, it is secret...you have to decode it. I'll tell you how after I give you something. Fold the flash paper into a rose and say I want to give you a rose...I know you love them, but I didn't have a chance to get to the flower shop. Now to the note, that is actually written on the rose...Fire is the key. Light the lighter for me and simply touch it to the bottom of the rose. I produce a real rose and say how she really did decode the message, and show her a note that is attached to the rose that says "will you go to prom with me?""

I think you are over doing the "this is a magic routine" on this. You start off by saying you want to write her a secret note.... and she needs to decode it... and that its on some paper you wrote... now you need fire because it is the "key"... then WOOSH a rose appears... then you whip out a random note. So only 1/6 of what really happens is the actual asking. The rest is just... a performance. I would cut down on the magic portion of it... but... a whole lot. At least 2/3s of it. I would also try to cut out all that patter. Patter is great when you are performing regularly... but you don't really want to fill her mind with all this stuff about secret notes, keys, fire, decoding... then finally the note that asks her to prom. Its way too distracting.

Why not... ask her to prom like a regular sweet guy... You can be sweet without producing roses and fire and what not. Make it big and fancy. Show you put a lot of effort into it. Then if anyone else asked their girl to prom similarly sweet, throw in a small magic trick to make that proposal that tiny bit sweeter.

Know when to be a magician and when to be regular Joe.

I hope I helped.

May 10, 2010
I think a simple one would do. Sometimes it's the simple tricks or illusions that hit hard, and leave a statement. That said, I wouldn't go further than a rose production off "empty hands", or even a bouquet for that matter. The latter seems hard, but with the right misdirection I think you can pull it off! That'll just give you the opportunity to pop the question.

I'd like to add in a random thought here. Since you have noted that you are the only magician in school, there is an option on whether you want to ask her privately, like after a date, or publicly like in school where there are people watching. I don't find anything wrong in the latter because it only shows that you are skilled at what you do, and it depicts an air of confidence to be able to ask her in front of all her friends, or your friends for that matter. That said, I wish you all the best!

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
How many people that posted here, actually read the original post?
He is already with this girl, for a YEAR. Of course they are already going to the prom together, he doesn't NEED to impress her, she is already going to the prom with him, because they are dating for a YEAR. Makes sense?

Ok then. I don't have much wisdom to add here, but only to support the people who already gave you all advice that you need. First of all, listen to the Steerpike. Specially about the part "Less is more". I don't know why nobody likes Steerpike, maybe it's just his reputation on this forum. Well, at least he has a reputation. Anywho, back on the subject.
Mat LaVore has some amazing ideas in his post, if you really need or want to make a magic effect out of the whole thing, which I would not advise. Like most people said, make the question the biggest part, use magic as an offbeat. I like the idea of a love letter, telling her how much she means to you etc. and than with flame, make the words disappear and form a question about the prom.

To give you an example of using magic as an offbeat. I was in a bar recently, there was a girl at the counter looking at me. So I approached her, introduced myself, and said "oh, sorry, my phone is ringing." started looking through my pockets "I could never find those things. Ah, here it is." grab nothing from the air, and produce a cellphone in my hand, out of nowhere. Answered and hung up "wrong number. Anyways, whats your name...". See, I made nothing off of it. Pretend that the phone is ringing, produce a phone, and put it back in the pocket. I didn't say "watch this!!" or "Do you like magic?", I just did it on an offbeat. And she was really impressed. Don't make the magic the main thing, do it on an offbeat.

Oh, and I completely support you in your idea. I think that asking a girl in a nice way to the prom, even thou she is already going with you, is an amazing thing, and shows how much you care about her.

Oct 1, 2010
Hello, first time posting, but been in magic for about 10 years, 4 years as a semi-professional worker.

I actually agree with "don't use magic." I know she supports your magic and probably enjoys watching you perform. However, it seems that you are wanting to ask her to prom via a magic demonstration for your own gratification. It would feel great to come up with a spectacular presentation, work it from start to finish, put the months in, but again, I think you will be getting more out of it than she will be, and that is backwards in my opinion. I know that she would probably like it, but I also believe there are many more things you could do aside from magic that would be more of a lasting impression on her and if that is what you are going for, you owe it to her to consider the possibility that magic might not be the BEST way to go about this.

I do however think that you should use your skills as a magician to highlight the way you ask her to prom. For example, during the weeks leading up to when you will ask her, plant some subtle hints around her locker, school, car, home, room, etc... and have the hints become less subtle as the days pass. Get her parents in on it as well. For example, have them plant some things in her room for you. If you two have a "song", find some ways to have it playing in the background when you guys go out, or are in the car, call your local radio station and have it play. When she is at home eating with her parents, have her parents play the song in the background for you (as a secret of course).

Now, none of these things are direct magic tricks, but they use the same principles of doing things in the background, hidden from the spectator.

I definitely think if you sat down and really jotted down some ideas like these, they would amount to becoming a much more spectacular week, month even, than some magic trick.

Just some thoughts.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
A few ideas off the top of my head...

1. You could draw something or write her a nice letter and give it to her. Then, after she looks at it, pass a lighter underneath and burn away all the ink until the only thing that's left is the message saying "Will you go to prom with me?" You can do this using a FriXion gel pen.

2. An unassuming card effect: Ask her to cut the cards at any point and "mark where she cut" using the criss-cross force. Talk about something special between the two of you for a moment for the sake of setting the tone, presentation, and time misdirection. Push off the card she cut to face down and turn over all the other cards (but hiding the top card--you'll see why in just a moment) in the deck showing her she could have cut to any card. Tell her the card she cut to must be special. She turns it over and it's the 2 of Hearts (built-in metaphor there for you to talk about). Ask her to light the lighter that's been on the table and (top change here) wave the 2 of Hearts over the flame (another presentation hook with the word "flame") a few times until you turn it over and reveal that the words "Will you go to prom with me?" are burned into the card.

3. Do Paul Harris's Counterfeit Spectator with her borrowed dollar bill, changing the ink on the dollar bill to the words "Will you go to prom with me?"

I'm sure she'll appreciate whatever you choose to do. Good luck, and hope you have a fun, safe, and memorable prom night!

this, is a freaking awesome idea. the gel pen bit is amazing. dudes a wizard. if you want to incorporate the rose some how.... just give her one with the note. i still agree with steerpike and Theatrehead in the sense that the magic should accent the question.

Sep 1, 2007
Well... that's not at all what you are doing, and you are completely changing the subject, so bye.

Why do people keep acting as if I should give a **** about their approval?

I don't know why nobody likes Steerpike, maybe it's just his reputation on this forum. Well, at least he has a reputation.

People get mad when someone doesn't tell them what they want to hear. And what RK doesn't want to hear right now is that he did not have a good idea. That he's doing this more for his own sake than hers.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I love Zamiel's Rose, Steerpike. I've actually been doing the 'F' transfer for a while now, and have performed a version of the trick, not ripping off Derren's patter (because it doesn't fit me at all). Instead of Rose petals, I use other objects with a great story behind them (ie pocket change, confetti, candy).

I'm not saying copy the effect to the 'T' and present it to her, but it is a beautiful piece of magic, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Why do people keep acting as if I should give a **** about their approval?

People get mad when someone doesn't tell them what they want to hear. And what RK doesn't want to hear right now is that he did not have a good idea. That he's doing this more for his own sake than hers.

Hey Steerpike, I know how you feel about the post, in fact we all do. It has already become evident that RK wants to do a trick to invite her to prom and no amount of discussion will change that. Now, I respectifully ask that you leave it at that. There is no reason for you to continue your comments and let RK do what he already decided to do. Is it bad that he is asking his girlfriend to prom? No. Is he revealing magic's deepest darkest secrets by using magic? No. Is he illegally downloading other people's work by asking her to prom? No. So I think it is safe to say that he can go and be cheesy (because some girls like that) by asking her using an effect. So please, just leave this thread alone.

Sep 1, 2007
Is it bad that he is asking his girlfriend to prom? No. Is he revealing magic's deepest darkest secrets by using magic? No. Is he illegally downloading other people's work by asking her to prom? No.

How are any of these things related and what the hell do the last two have to do with my opinions? What is the point you are trying to convey here?

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
How are any of these things related and what the hell do the last two have to do with my opinions? What is the point you are trying to convey here?

I am trying to say that what he is doing is not bad. So you have to grow up and move on. Or, you could continue to throw your negative opinion where it is not welcome. He asked you nicely, I asked you nicely. Now I will ask you the same question you just asked me, "What is the point you are trying to convey here?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results